Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British XI

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once

Being British XI

Here is a shiny new thread for you to use.

I will again remind you to be nice and respectful of each other. I do NOT want to take House Points from anyone, but I will if disrespect continues.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    Umm...-cough- Guess I'll break in the new thread?

Just need a bit of help for slang. I'm writing a very annoyed Sirius, and there's a certain place where I want to say "on the lam." Is that phrase used in the UK? If not, what's a Brit alternative that stays very slangy/casual? (If you don't know what that phrase means--I didn't till recently--it means "on the run.")

Thanks in advance.

apollo13
    I have never heard of that expression, and I don't think we have slang for "on the run" - which I think is more or less slang itself.

>.>

Sorry.

~Evie

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    Thanks anyway...I'll probably just use on the run then.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have a question about an expression: "Taking something with a grain of salt."

Do people in Britain used this expression too, or is it an Americanism?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

A.H.
    Take like with a grain of salt... a lime and a shot of tequila!

*cough*

I have another slang question, too: is there slang for 'gay'? Degrading/offensive and normal, I guess. Thanks in advance.

(PS If the degrading/offensive term in inappropriate for the public forums, could someone PM me? <3s)

-Ari-

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Molly, yes I believe the expression taking something with a grain of salt is used over here, though I would be more inclinded to use a 'pinch of salt' rather than grain.

Ari, I think I will PM/IM you in a bit, because while there is nothing too terrible, there is always the risk of offending people when talking about derogatory language and this particular issue is a sensitive one and could upset people in an open forum.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Molly I have heard the terms "pinch of salt" and "grain of sand" used by my Gran and Grandad, so I would say that would be fine to use either.

- Hannah

LilyLunaPotter
    Hello! I have a couple of questions. The first: when Americans go to say a summer camp or something of that sort, they eat in a "mess hall" or a "dining hall." I used "mess hall" in my story and realised it's not at all British. What is the British equivalent of a place to eat in a camp-like setting?
    My second question is about a British swear word to replace jackdonkey, only not really donkey If that's not printable here could someone pretty please PM me?

Thank you!

itsmekirill
    When I want to say someone is a good actor, I say they deserve an Academy Award, which is an internationally known but nevertheless American institution. Is there a British analogue for this?