Thread: Apparition

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Filch is a Squib!

Apparition

Is there a way to apparate without a wand? I know at one point (while locked in the Malfoy's cellar) Ron tries and is unable to, but does this mean that this is acutally inpossible? For the story that I am writing at the moment, I am using a wand during apparition as a way to send a message (confusing I know, but I do hate spoilers! ) But i'm not sure my story would work as well if wandless apparition was possible. So I wonder, is it?

Many Thanks
    Russia xxxxx
    I'm dreaming the hardest.

Thank you Nadia/majestic_ginny! <3
    Being FEARLESS isn't about not having fears, it's about living in spite of them.

tibi jones
    No one was able to do it except house elves as far as I remember. When the trio helped the muggle borns in DH they need to be with someone who had a wand to disapparate.

Inverarity
    Wizards in general only seem able to perform wandless magic in a spontaneous and haphazard way -- i.e., they cannot cast spells reliably without a wand.

Since we know Apparition even with a wand can be hazardous (i..e, splinching), trying to Apparate without one would seem to be an extremely dangerous proposition.

I wouldn't say it's impossible. I would say few wizards would be foolish enough to try, and even fewer would succeed (and survive).

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Sorry if this ruins your plot but I think that apparition is entirely wandless. Splinching is caused by a lack of determination. House elfs can apperate within Hogwarts meaning that they are immune to anti apparition jinxes.

From Half Blood Prince Chapter 18 Birthday Surprises pg 360 British First Edition
    "Three important things to remember when Apperatin arethe three Ds!" said Twycross. "Destination, Determination, Deliberation!"

"Step one: fix your mind firmly upon the desired destination," sadi Twycross. "In this case, the interior of your hoop. Kindly concentrate on that destinaion now"

Everybody looked around furtively, to check that everyone else was staring into their hoop, then hastily did as they were told. Harry gazed at the circular patch of dusty floor enclose by his hoop and tried to think hard of nothing else. This proved impossible, as he couldn't stop puzzling over what Malfoy was doing that needed lookouts

"Step two, " said Twycross "focus your determination to occupy te visualised space! Let your yearning to enter it flow to every particle of your body!"

Harry glanced around surreptitiously. A little way to his left, Ernie Macmillan was contemplating his hoop so hard that his face had turned pink; it looked as though he was straining to lay a Quaffle-sized egg. Harry bit back a laugh and hastily returned his gaze to his own hoop.

"Step three," called Twycross "and only when I give the command ... turn on the spot feeling yoiur way into nothingness moving with deliberation! On my command now ... one -"

Harry glanced around again; lots of people were looking positively alarmed at being asked to Apparate so quickly.

"-two-"

Harry tried to fix his thoughts on his hoop again. He had already forgotten what the thee Ds stood for.

"-THREE!"

Harry spun on the spot, lost his balance and nearly fell over
    There is no mention of a wand or incantation here. However it does leave the question How can you Apparate to somewhere you don't know?

If your plot just calls for a person not to be able to Apparate maybe they never got the hang of it , or it is quite a common and feasible idea that it is dangerous to Apparate while pregnant if your character is female.

tibi jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf
    Sorry if this ruins your plot but I think that apparition is entirely wandless. Splinching is caused by a lack of determination. House elfs can apperate within Hogwarts meaning that they are immune to anti apparition jinxes.

From Half Blood Prince Chapter 18 Birthday Surprises pg 360 British First Edition

There is no mention of a wand or incantation here. However it does leave the question How can you Apparate to somewhere you don't know?

If your plot just calls for a person not to be able to Apparate maybe they never got the hang of it , or it is quite a common and feasible idea that it is dangerous to Apparate while pregnant if your character is female.
    I would disagree and have to say this may be reaching a little, though we each deserve our own ideas and opinions. There are many more instances that infer a wand is needed through out the books. Any paragraph can be taken out of context and assumptions made about it.

While they obviously do not need to wave the wand, they would probably need it on their person. We know it is likely they do not need to have it in their hand, but the trio or Harry talk about whether it is possible or not more than once I believe.

Not one wizard or witch contradicts him when he tells them to pair with someone who still has their wand during the escape from the MoM in book 7. It would be silly to assume that just because they were muggle born there would not be a well informed witch or wizard in the lot. If that was so, how could Hermione be the cleverest witch of her age? Even in the instructions quoted above, nowhere is it mentioned that they do not need a wand. I think not needing a wand would be an important side-note to tell the students.

If it were possible, I am sure Hermione would have read about it. Since she doesn't know, I would hazard to opine there is little discussion or instruction of how to do it. The incantation is more like a silent spell where concentration upon the destination and having the will to get there is very similar to the focus and concentration needed to produce and maintain a patronus. The body movements act as the trigger for the spell.

It seems to me that it may be similar magic to that used for owls. You simply tell it who you want your letter to go to and the owl finds them eventually (I must admit I am without books, to verify that they do not need to mention the location, at this time).

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Since the students of Hogwarts and I would venture to guess 99.9% of witches and wizards have their wands at them at all times, especially if they were going to be using magic, then the fact they aren't told they need a wand is because it is a mute point.

It is stated the incantation is nonverbal, that is basically what the 3 D's are. It isn't stated anywhere that it is wandless magic and is generally thought you need a wand. The example in the MoM is a perfect example.

There are very few spells which are wandless. Apparation needs a wand. There has not been one clear use of it where we know the witch or wizard didn't have a wand on his person.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

lupins_girl2006
    Hey guys! I was just looking through the threads and saw this.

I'm not going to say that I think Apparition is wandless, as I don't know and I don't want to give someone the wrong answer. But, I was just thinking about the Ministry event...

Has it crossed anyone's mind that when Harry said for the Muggle-Borns to go with someone who had a wand that maybe he was taking precautions for when they left the Ministry. Ok, that was a little confusing. What I meant was, the Muggle-Borns don't have their wands on them, correct. So if they leave by themselves, they won't have a way to protect themselves if a witch or wizard found them. Maybe by telling the Muggle-Borns to get with someone who had a wand so they can Apparate (sp?), Harry was thinking ahead for their safety. Also, if trying to Apparate (sp?) they end up Splinching themselves, since it was a crazy moment and no one was thinking right, maybe by getting with someone with a wand, it would save their lives.

Did I make any sense?

~Allie