Thread: McGonagall Headmistress?

Hybrid View

TheCursedQuill

McGonagall Headmistress?

I'm not sure if it says it says this anywhere, they don't have it on the Lexicon, but would McGonagall still be Head of Hogwarts when Rose Weasley was in Hogwarts?

Rose starts going to Hogwarts 2017 and McGonagall was born 1925. This would make her 92. But seeing as wizards usually live through their 100's (at least I remember this being said) it would be plausible that she was still Headmistress, right?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    She may have stayed on for a couple years after the Battle of Hogwarts, but I don't think she'd still be around by the time Rose started school. In an interview, J.K. said McGonagall wouldn't be there because 'she was getting on a little'.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCursedQuill
    I'm not sure if it says it says this anywhere, they don't have it on the Lexicon, but would McGonagall still be Head of Hogwarts when Rose Weasley was in Hogwarts?

Rose starts going to Hogwarts 2017 and McGonagall was born 1925. This would make her 92. But seeing as wizards usually live through their 100's (at least I remember this being said) it would be plausible that she was still Headmistress, right?
    I think Rowling said that McGonagall retired some time before the Nineteen Years Later Epilogue, so she shouldn't be Headmistress by the time Rose starts Hogwarts. However, she is mentioned as being Headmistress in Beedle the Bard, which came out some years after the Battle of Hogwarts.

Tim the Enchanter

TheCursedQuill
    Wow you guys are fast!

Thanks for your help! I guess I'm going to have to think of something else...

Who do you think would be Headmaster? Would it be someone that we already know? Or would it be a new teacher? In other words, an OC

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCursedQuill
    Wow you guys are fast!

Thanks for your help! I guess I'm going to have to think of something else...

Who do you think would be Headmaster? Would it be someone that we already know? Or would it be a new teacher? In other words, an OC
    There's nothing stopping you from making the Headmaster an OC. However, I just have a feeling it would be one of the professors we already know. Perhaps Sprout or Flitwick?

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I agree with Tim. Most likely, the job would be given to the teacher with the most senority, who was also the Deputy Headmaster. If you do choose to go with an OC, though, make sure all the old professors are gone as well. It will just help to make the story more believeable.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I agree with Tim. Most likely, the job would be given to the teacher with the most senority, who was also the Deputy Headmaster. If you do choose to go with an OC, though, make sure all the old professors are gone as well. It will just help to make the story more believeable.
    Why? "Headmaster/Headmistress" is not an automatic step up from "Professor." Many teachers don't want to be administrators; some aren't cut out for it.

A senior professor is likely a candidate for taking over the school, but won't automatically be the one who does.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    There's nothing stopping you from making the Headmaster an OC. However, I just have a feeling it would be one of the professors we already know. Perhaps Sprout or Flitwick?

Tim the Enchanter

I agree that it is most likely to be one of the senior professors, but I wouldn't make it Flitwick. He's supposed to be ancient when he teaches Harry, and I always thought he was really old. Also, I don't see tiny Flitwick having enough authority over all the students and especially their parents. Don't get me wrong, he's a very able wizard, and one of my favourite professors, but I don't see the post of headmaster suiting him.

Sprout might work (seeing how Neville took her teaching job by that time), but I don't see her as the type who'd enjoy the administrative work. Maybe it's because she's the herbology teacher that I associate her with much more practical things.

But I agree with you in so far that I also think it would be someone who was a HoH and maybe Deputy HM..

Why not try for example Septima Vector (you could make her head of Ravenclaw by then), who is the Arithmancy Professor when the trio are at school - I always thought she might be in her early 40s then, and I don't think it would be an unrespectable age, 19 years later, to become headmistress.

I would really go with one of the professors, because - well, it may not be necessary, but I really think that the headmaster/-mistress should be someone who knows the school, who knows both how it is to be a student and how it is to be a teacher there. I don't see some random person stepping in from outside and running the place.
    Apart from having to know the school, I think there's much more support from the staff if they know them already (see Umbridge).

Kara
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

A.H.
    I agree with Kara. I think that someone would want to know the school, the staff, and about the classes to be Headmaster/mistress. They'd have to know how the staff in general reacts to certain things, what kind of procedures are looked down upon, what this person specifically likes, and etc. Generally if someone whose never been at a place before steps in with an authoritative job, they rarely get the kind of respect that someone who's been there a while would get (from personal experience, that's how it works, anyway).

So while someone who hasn't taught at Hogwarts is plausible, I don't really see it happening that way. From what we've seen, with McGonagall and Dumbledore being professors, the position is given to current staff.

/.2

-Ari-