Thread: Irma Prince: I'm a Prince ?

Secret Seeker

Irma Prince: I'm a Prince ?

I was reading about Severus Snape the other day when I came across the following statement at the article Elieen Prince on Harry Potter Wiki.
    Irma Pince has been rumoured to be Eileen in hiding, due to the fact that the letters in Pince's name can be rearranged to spell "I'm a Prince," but this has not been confirmed.
    Is it a coincedence that her name translates to I'm a Prince ? I mean, JKR normally has a reason behind things. Even though I found in the lexicon that her name could origin from the word Pinch, in French: "Pince=French for "pinch," as in "pince-nez" glasses, an old-fashioned type that stay on by pinching the nose at the bridge." However, I don't think JKR confirmed this.

The Librarian is also described as follows: Irma Pince was a thin, sallow woman who had a wizened, hollow-cheeked face with a long, hooked nose. Her appearance was often compared to that of a vulture. "Sallow", "long, hooked nose" ? These are traits often used to describe Severus Snape: thin man with sallow skin and a large, hooked nose. I also think that we do not know when she died (if she did), so that leaves the case open.

However, Harry sees Snape's mother in DH in the chapter The Prince's Tale, would he have recognized her? Or was he so intent on the young Snape and Lily?

What do you think? Do you think it's posible that maybe JKR was thinking about indeed making the Librarian Snape's mother but then changed her mind? Or is it just an odd coincidence?

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I think this is just an interesting coincidence. I think this anagram could simply just be fans with too much time on their hands interpreting into the text too hard and making connections that don't exist. Reminds me of how fans after OotP came out were wondering what role Mark Evans (one of the boys Dudley is mentioned to have beaten up) would play in the series, simply because he shared the same last name as Harry's mother.

Plus, I don't see much reason why Pince should be Snape's mother. What's the point? Why would she need to hide? Why in plain sight, and with her own son at the castle who'd surely recognise her?

Tim the Enchanter

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Seeker
    Do you think it's posible that maybe JKR was thinking about indeed making the Librarian Snape's mother but then changed her mind? Or is it just an odd coincidence?
    Well, I am not really convinced about the authenticity of this. Names anagrams can be very misleading often. I'll give you an example of this. I found this in Mugglenet.

Arthur Weasleys name can be an anagram of "We salute Harry". In military terms, a salute is usually given to a officer, or in this case, warrior at their funeral. This had suggested that Harry would die. But did it turn out that way? Nope!

And anyways, I agree with Tim. What's the point of it? Surely lots of people would recognise her- McGonagall, Dumbledore, Hagrid, etc. They were all there when she had gone to school, so...

I don't really think its very plausible. It IS a cool coincidence however!

But if you DO want to write anything about this, or do something, you can simply categorise it under AU. After all, it does not follow Canon, and nor is it really believable. Its an assumption.

--Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

Secret Seeker
    Well, for one thing I though it was curious, thought I'd share, but I didn't think I would need to think of a point . I just love analyzing little details even if sometimes they may not mean much!

Also, there are gaps and mainly it hits me as a coincedence, but there's two factors, the description and the name. However, the part of the nose might not match with the name Prince as we know from Snape's Worst Memory that his father had a hooked nose not his mother...
    Plus, I don't see much reason why Pince should be Snape's mother. What's the point? Why would she need to hide?
    Why, that's it isn't it? I don't know. Ooh, I see a fic building up xD.