Thread: Snape's Rescue?

The Scribbler

Snape's Rescue?

I remember reading somewhere in the books that James saved Snape after Snape went down the tunnel to the Shrieking Shack. Sirius had told him he could find out what Remus did every month or something like that. Does anyone know anything about this? Where was it in the books?

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    This was first mentioned in Prisoner of Azkaban, when Remus and Sirius were telling the trio about their Marauder years. Remus said that Sirius thought it would be funny that if Snape wasn't plastered by the Whomping Willow, he'd meet Remus as a werewolf in the Shrieking Shack. And James, hearing what Sirius had done, saved Snape, but not before he could get a glimpse of Remus as a wolf.

I don't have the books on me, so I can't elaborate more than that, but check PoA for the whole story.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    This was first mentioned in Prisoner of Azkaban, when Remus and Sirius were telling the trio about their Marauder years.
    I do think that Dumbledore mentions it in the first book already, at the end when he visits Harry in the Hospital Wing, and Harry tells him about how he feels that Snape hates him.
    Dumbledore explains that they were at school together and said something along the lines of "And then your father did something Professor Snape could never forgive him. He saved his life."

As Snape tells the story in PoA, he also mentions that James (in Snape's opinion) only saved him because if he hadn't, all of them had been in a lot of trouble.

After that incident, Snape was forbidden by Professor Dumbledore to talk about it to anyone.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Elmindreda
    The full story of the Whomping Willow incident is told in PoA, chapter 18, Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs.

As far as we know from the books, Sirius decided it would be amusing to send Severus through the passage to the Shrieking Shack. To that effect, he purposefully let slip in Severus' presence as to where the Marauders were going every full moon. James went after Severus to rescue him after he found out about Sirius 'prank' - but while he got there in time to rescue him, he did not prevent Severus from seeing a transformed Remus at the end of the tunnel.

Also, based on some memories in DH, chapter 33, The Prince's Tale, we can surmise that this accident took place in the fifth year of the Marauders, Lily and Severus, some time before the OWLs.

~El

The Scribbler
    Great! So we know:

• It happened in their fifth year
    • Sirius did it as a prank
    • Snape saw Remus as a wolf
    • James saved his life
    • Dumbledore forbade Snape from telling anyone

(Where was Peter in all of this...? )

Thanks for your help! This will be perfect for my story.