Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bossy Characters

hedwig_laid_an_egg
    I have a character called Elias Langley-Black, and right now I know more about his parents than I do about him. Needless to say, this does not make Elias happy. He wants attention, nay, he DEMANDS attention. He demands to be arrogant and unlikable. He demands to have a giant crush on this random Hufflepuff girl called Tomasina Gonzalez (who is also giving me problems, but not as many because she hasn't even got a profile yet). He demands that I give him a backstory and stop obsessing over his half-Indonesian, half-English mother, Enola. He demands--oh, never mind. Elias demands I work on him. Signing off

emck
    I seem to be basically the only person in the world without this problem. My characters are all quite well-behaved, really, even the ones that aren't well-behaved in real life.

I think it probably helps that, like in my real life, I don't plan anything, ever. I tend to let my characters have free reign over just about everything, and if one of them changes and doesn't suit a situation, I change the situation. It makes things so much more interesting, having to conform to your characters. The other way around never works

First Year Gryffindor
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow
    Some English speaking place that is sadly not Hogwarts.
    I seem to be basically the only person in the world without this problem. My characters are all quite well-behaved, really, even the ones that aren't well-behaved in real life.

I think it probably helps that, like in my real life, I don't plan anything, ever. I tend to let my characters have free reign over just about everything, and if one of them changes and doesn't suit a situation, I change the situation. It makes things so much more interesting, having to conform to your characters. The other way around never works

I agree completely. I have a Harry Potter story on another site and I just let it go. I was only planing three OCs but all of the sudden there is shy Hufflepuff with a past they are soon going to learn about who my OC Kyle is crushing on, a bratty rival, a mysterious Slytherin, old faces popping up, lots of events I hadn't planned, yet I couldn't have been happier with my story in the way I planned then I do now! My main seems to have a lot of me in her as far as her past and feelings go, but is almost nothing like me personality wise. Yes sheloves reading and writing, yes she shares my fears, but as for personality...nothing Luke I was planning! Not to mention how I keep going back and adding more to already published chapters, they just scream to be put in, these things shall not be controlled...I'm not entirely sure I want them to either!
    Different and proud!