Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bossy Characters

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Originally Posted by some_kinda_superstar
    Do you ever find that your characters start to boss you around? Have you ever started writing a story with specific intentions, but your characters refuse to cooperate?

I have often found that characters I write take on a life of their own. They do things I don't want them to do, and take on character traits I never intended for them. Quite often a story will come out completely different to how I originally planned it, simply because one or more of the characters had a will of their own.

So, does this happen to anyone else, or am I just crazy?
    I have this problem but with canon characters writing themselves into my stories. The co-op challenge I had never intended for Snape to be in the story, but he wrote himself in. Thankfully, he behaved himself.

The story I just wrote from one of my class finals, Fred and George hijacked the story. And now, I have Lee Jordan forcing his way in.

I decided not to fight them. They probably know what it right for the story. I just let them go and type what they tell me to.

It can be fun...
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

leahsm2
    Lucius Malfoy has become my go to character for some reason! I love writing him, but he really pops up more often then intended! I want to focus on Sirius Black and get something done on him, but he will not cooperate! I didn't mean to segue into illusive characters, but bossy ones tend to make it hard to work on ones that are not so simple for you to write!

dark_light
    Quote Originally Posted by some_kinda_superstar
    Do you ever find that your characters start to boss you around? Have you ever started writing a story with specific intentions, but your characters refuse to cooperate?

I have often found that characters I write take on a life of their own. They do things I don't want them to do, and take on character traits I never intended for them. Quite often a story will come out completely different to how I originally planned it, simply because one or more of the characters had a will of their own.

You are so very far from being alone! I recently just started a story where my main character was supposed to be extremley restless, loud, just in general a crazy funny girl.

It seems she's changed her mind and become practical, mature and responsible. Now her daughter seems to have all the traits the mother was supposed to have! Its rather frusterating.

MarieEvans760
    I have a character who I wanted to be a sex kitten, but yet I'd be writing and right when she would do something to catch a guys eye it would just fit that she'd trip, or do something silly. I think its just that even though I saw her as a beautiful young girl ( and I think she saw herself that way too ) the only way I could make her relateable and sweet, is to give her a human side. No one is perfect!

DarkAngel

nope, you're not crazy!

Nope, you're definitely not crazy. I had the same problems when I first started writing. This happens to all my characters actually. I intend them to be completely opposite to me, but they end up sharing my personality traits.Then, perhaps, I want them to be quiet and shy, but their conversations with other characters make them hyper and extroverts!
    Sometimes, my characters even drive my story. I find myself planning a plot, but somehow, my characters write their own stories!

harryginny4eva61
    I constantly have this problem. Like, Geniveive was supposed to be shy and quiet, but then she turned into me!!! Not good. She does everythnig except her homework, wakes up at: 6 to run or swim, 11 to sleep. Its so messed up. She just kinda bosses me all around. She like, yells at me in my classes. I'm not even starting on my other characters in other novels. I was up until 3 one night because my character yelled at me! Help!!!!

the_weird_one
    Wow...I usually make my charecter shy and innocent or quiet, so they can't boss me around. Or they just turn out that way. I am compleatly devoted to making my charecters 100% In Charecter, if not canon. I did have a charecter like that once, and she was supposed to be modeled after me, which really isn't quiet or anything. She turned out to be begging for attention and forcing me to create a plot. She turned into being the opposite of a bossy charecter; she was quiet and contained! Most of my charecters turn out to be monturous Mary Sues, giving me no time to work on any other charecter's personality but theirs. They aren't bossy, just self-centered!
    -the_weird_one

late_stranger
    Oh, this is a huge thing for me. I don't want to say problem, because they make everything so much more interesting, but it can get annoying.

In Harry Potter terms, I have a very hard time making characters evil. I love writing the Slytherins - the Draco and Lucius Malfoy, the Blacks (mostly Regulus and Narcissa), and Tom Riddle. But I can never make them evil - more often then not, they won't provide an explanation, but once I got this whole backstory from Draco on how he was nearly killed on his world tour in China, and was taken in by a poor Muggle village, who taught him that Muggles are just as good as wizards etc... random, and unasked for.

But the worst is in original fiction, because then, you don't even have a situation that must be conformed to. It can be anything your want, or rather, anything the characters want. Luckily, all of my character demanded changes have been for the betterment of my story. Luckily.

I think that characters talking to you is really a good sign - be making themselves heard they're indicating that you have good ideas, but you need a little (or a big) nudge in the right direction.

thenewriddle
    well i hada *tensy* little problem with Artemis. i have her all planed out and then *insert horror music here* she send me a e flame in my head.
    hello dear riot. id just like to clearup a few things. YOU STUPID ARROGANT LITTLE RUNT! Scorpiauos is my best mate! and i call him SCORP! what messed up thing led you to beleive i wouldnt like my own cousin? hes more like a brother really. and james potter. he is NOT nice! dont you know he nearly beat me to death in first year???!!! he is an aroogant arse , who is unterly convinced im gonnna turn into my father!! as for names he calls me "monster" not "pal". and speaking of middle names. mine is Marvolo not malfoy! *even if my mommys a malfoy* andwhats with the idea that scorps middle name is luicias? EVERYONE KNOWS ITS HYPERION! - your dear char Arty. one thing i wonder is who is the genuis vthat made Scorpiaus's middle name Hyperion?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Castanje
    I find that characters nearly always boss me around to a certain extent, whether they are canon characters or my own creation - in fact I'm rather worried if they don't boss me around. To a point I can change them to fit the plot, but once I've put out the basics of their personality, I just resign myself to changing my plot to suit the characters. If not, after all, I risk having them behave horribly OOC.

I've written Draco, and he turned all romantic halfway through the story. I mean - who has him down as a romantic soul, right? But no, the man insisted on a candlelit meal and soft music. (He obviously had his own agenda, Slytherin as he is.) I just had to put up with it, but thankfully I got him back to his smirking, sneering self by the next chapter. Not that he went OOC at all ... he simply took over control! And characters feel free to coup my ending too - by then their personality is so well mapped out that they give me no choice. Ah, well, one day I'll get my will, I'm sure.