Thread: Animal Breeders in the Wizarding World?

MorwenNott

Animal Breeders in the Wizarding World?

What kind of animals would be prized for 'pure' bloodlines do you think, or at least would have people dedicated to them and whatnot.

So far:

Magical Horses
    Dogs (don't know which kind, if i should stick to strictly magical ones like Crups, or go out to 'guard dogs' or 'lap dogs' ect)
    Cats
    Kneazles
    Birds (what kinds? just pretty ones, or one for a purpose?)

Or really exotic animals like Hippocampus, or Hippogryffs

In wizarding society, do you think people would like to spend alot of money on animals to make them look better off? Like how noble women would get dogs, just because having a small dog had no use whatsoever and that it was merely for entertainment and people who could waste money like that had to be really wealthy?

And do you think creatures may have been used to guard properties ect along with wards and magic?

Pretty much, in one of my stories the family is going to be breeders and/or trainers of animals (havent decided what yet) and its going to play a pretty integral part because my main character isnt very popular, somewhat of a loner and needs something to dive into so he can keep himself busy., so I need to see how that will work in with everything else I have set up. But you can pretty much ignore that, and just tell me what you personally think its like. And feel free to add other creatures, ect.

Thankyou=]

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Remember, Mrs. Figg cross-bred Kneazels with cats. Then there are Crups, the terrier-type dogs. I also imagine in the United States, there might be people who breed Clabberts the way people breed monkeys. I also feel that Puffskiens would breed something like hamsters or gerbils.

I think the money spent on a pet would depend on the rarity and bloodlines, just like any other pet.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

TheCursedQuill
    Quote Originally Posted by MorwenNott
    In wizarding society, do you think people would like to spend alot of money on animals to make them look better off?
    Oh yes, I'd think that a pure blood family would only have the expensive animals to show how important they are. Malfoy's owl was an eagle owl which seems like it would be expensive and beautiful. The eagle is a very powerful bird and im sure that this choice wasn't just a coincidence.

And do you think creatures may have been used to guard properties ect along with wards and magic?
    I think they would have some creatures if they really wanted to protect themselves. Nothing big or too weird though as they would be hard to hide from muggles. You wouldn't want to have to explain to the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures why a fire breathing chicken just burned off your neighbours hand. I think a noisy dog would do just fine to keep unwanted vistors away. If they wanted more protection though, like you might have wanted during Voldy's time, magic would be the best option for protection.

thegirloverhere
    Not sure how helpful this is, but I'm pretty sure the Malfoy's had albino peacocks roaming around their yard. Thats pretty extravagant if you ask me. I can definitely see a pure blood family getting some sort of pure-bred dog... maybe a Great Dane or something?

This might sound weird, but I feel like some people might own nifflers. They are supposed to be rather cute, if I remember correctly... Of course, they totally trashed Umbridge's office, so one would have to keep them in pretty sturdy cages...

As for protection, I think a pretty cool idea would be to have some sort of trigger that, when stumbled upon, released a bunch of pixies or something. I feel like that would be just for the average household, or upper-middle class. People like the Malfoy's might have much more elaborate protection. Still, I agree, magic is probably the best bet for protection... although in DH there was that dragon....

dragons are so cool

Hope this helped!
    Samantha

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Do you have this "Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them" Book?
    The dragons made me think of something - I could imagine rich families to have some animal that is considered rather dangerous, to show that they have the money to pay someone to tame and train that animal. Like rich eccentric people have alligators in their homes.

There's also a group of birds mentioned in this book (can't remember the name right now - I don't have too much time atm, but I can look up some beasts if you don't own the book {it's awesome though ;D} ) that are really beautiful, but their song can drive you insane after some time.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

sorrow_of_severus
    I like your ideas of wealthy purebloods employing trainers/breeders for their animals, MorwenNott! If you think about it, that’s probably why Care of Magical Creatures class at Hogwarts exists, mainly for students who want to have such a career. Frankly, I just don’t think that there are enough dragon reserves and magical pet shops to justify having a class on magical creatures at Hogwarts, but if there used to be lots of pureblood families willing to pay heaps of Galleons for somebody to train or breed their animals, there’d be a real demand for the class. I bet that nowadays with pureblood families dying out and some not being as wealthy (like the Weasleys), the position of trainer/breeder is becoming less prevalent.

These wealthy magical families would probably kept a variety of animals, not just one kind. Some of these animals might be ones that are found in the Muggle world (as someone else pointed out, the Malfoys had peacocks, but these “Muggle” animals wouldn’t be of your average sort. They’d be special, magical ones, like the rats from Magical Menangerie in PoA, which weren’t just your typical garden rats according to the woman working there. There would be other animals, though, that would be strictly magical. I wouldn’t expect that there would be hypogryffs, though. If I’m remembering correctly, PoA said that they were associated with death, so you probably wouldn’t want them as your pet. (You might want to check in the book and make sure I’m right, though.)

TheCursedQuill
    There's also a group of birds mentioned in this book (can't remember the name right now - I don't have too much time atm, but I can look up some beasts if you don't own the book {it's awesome though ;D} ) that are really beautiful, but their song can drive you insane after some time.
    The bird is called a Fwooper

The Fwooper is a brightly-coloured bird of African origin. It can have plumage of many different colours including orange, pink, green and yellow. They also lay brightly coloured and patterned eggs. Fwooper song sounds appealing to begin with, but will eventually drive the listener insane, as Uric the Oddball found out when he attempted a 3-month experiment to prove it was harmless [FB].
    That's from the HP Encyclopedia by the way.

I was also thinking of some kind of bird. A Fwooper is a good idea, but it is dangerous to have in a house, so maybe something more along the lines of an Augurey. I'm actually really drawn to the descriptions of this bird (I have no clue why) which say it sings when rain is coming. Myths say that it sings when there is about to be a death but this isn't true. It would also be a very well-trained animal seeing as it only leaves its nest when it's raining.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    There's a question I've been pondering that's related to this topic. Namely, how do wandmakers get the dragon heartstring for wand cores? This core is unique in that the animal has to be dead in order to harvest it, unlike unicorns and phoenixes that only require plucking.

So, considering that dragon products are used for wand cores, gloves, and potions ingredients, how do you think dragon processing works? Would dragon keepers (like Charlie) at preserves just chop up dead dragons they find lying around, or would there be a systematic process of breeding, hatching, rearing, and harvesting dragons to keep up a steady supply of heartstrings, claws, hides, etc.?

Tim the Enchanter

anonymousravenclaw
    I wouldn’t expect that there would be hypogryffs, though. If I’m remembering correctly, PoA said that they were associated with death, so you probably wouldn’t want them as your pet. (You might want to check in the book and make sure I’m right, though.)
    Actually, I think you're thinking of thestrals from OotP. Hippogriffs symbolise love, as they are the union of a horse and a griffin, mythologically mortal enemies.

As for the dogs, etc., I think they would have something of the sort, but really, purebloods (at least the snobbish ones like Blacks and Malfoys) would probably avoid using Muggle breeds.