Thread: Dream Charms - How Do They Work?

sorrow_of_severus

Dream Charms - How Do They Work?

Yesterday, I was thinking about the Weasley twins' Patented Daydream Charms for some reason, and a little plot bunny popped (or should I say hopped?) into my head. It refuses to leave me alone, diverting every idle thought to the topic, so I figured I better try to write the one-shot so it might leave me alone. The only problem is that I don't know too much about Patented Dream Charms, or dream charms of any kind, for that matter.

The box of the Patented Daydream Charms say that they're for over-16's only. When I've read HBP, I've always assumed that this is for sexual content, but my plot centers around them being addictive after frequent use. Perhaps they're for over-16's for the combination of these two reasons. What do you think?

Also, how do they work? Do they run like a little movie/video game in your head? Is the plot of the dream set but somewhat interactive, with the characters become the dreamer and people the dreamer knows? (For example, when the twins give one to Hermione, Hermione and Ron might be the characters in the daydream.) Or do they work more like the Mirror of Erised, showing you your heart's truest desire, or at least something you want, only in a more movie/video game-like format instead of a picture?

Any information from the books I missed, things Jo said, or personal opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by sorrow_of_severus
    The box of the Patented Daydream Charms say that they're for over-16's only. When I've read HBP, I've always assumed that this is for sexual content, but my plot centers around them being addictive after frequent use. Perhaps they're for over-16's for the combination of these two reasons. What do you think?
    That sounds like a likely situation.

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow_of_severus
    Also, how do they work? Do they run like a little movie/video game in your head? Is the plot of the dream set but somewhat interactive, with the characters become the dreamer and people the dreamer knows? (For example, when the twins give one to Hermione, Hermione and Ron might be the characters in the daydream.) Or do they work more like the Mirror of Erised, showing you your heart's truest desire, or at least something you want, only in a more movie/video game-like format instead of a picture?
    I think they would work something like a Pensieve - so instead of just viewing a movie, the daydream charm dumps you into the middle of an interactive universe, but one where the daydream characters can interact with the dreamer.

I don't think a daydream charm would have enough advanced magic to include the dreamer's heart's desire. If you remember the box the charm came with, it had a picture of an attractive woman and man on a pirate ship. So I suppose the daydream charm would create an interactive stage (the pirate ship), and includes a pre-"programmed" sexy pirate fellow, who says stock phrases like, "I love you <insert name>, let's sail the seas forever and go to Love Island."

There were many different boxes at WWW, so there would be different daydreams that involve attractive pirates, attractive Quidditch players, attractive moles (for acquired tastes), and so forth. I don't think the magic would make the daydream any more personal than having the pirate know the dreamer's name.

Tim the Enchanter

sorrow_of_severus
    A couple more questions. First, after being repeated spoken to and maybe even shaken, would it be possible to awaken somebody from one of the Patented Day Dreams prematurely?

Also, the book says that the Patented Daydream Charms come in a box. What to you take out of the box to activate the daydream? Do you open the box and are automatically overcome by the daydream? Does some sort of object come in the box that you touch to activate the charm, like objects that are made into Portkeys? Or does the box only contain the instructions for doing the Daydream Charm.

I doubt that it is the last option, because Hermione says that she is impressed by the twins' magic, which sounds like they've done all the work, all you need to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy the daydream. I don't think some kid would be secretively trying to do some complicated charm in the middle of class. Why not just do the work that you're supposed to be doing.

He carried it back to the Headmaster’s Office when his night’s patrolling ended, with the intention of heading to bed. However, something made him pick it up. Better find out what this nonsense is sooner than later, he thought as he carefully pulled the flaps back on the box.

Immediately, a fog seemed to come from the box and swirl in front of his eyes. He was vaguely aware of sitting down on a shabby, wobbly chair intended for students. Suddenly, he found before him...
    Above is currently how I have the Daydream Charm working, taken from my fic. I'm willing to change it, though, if you think it works completely differently.

Originally posted by Tim_the_Enchanter
    If you remember the box the charm came with, it had a picture of an attractive woman and man on a pirate ship.
    Oops, I forgot! Thank you! *scurries off to reread related section of HBP*