Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Lily (Evans) Potter

type-n-shadow
    [QUOTE=wishiwereaweasley]I tend to see her as spunky, but almost cold. She doesn't let people in easily and she pushes herself to prove to everyone that she belongs there.

I know some flaws that have been suggested for her are pride, arrogance, the ability to hold a grudge, stubborness.[/QUOTE=wishiwereaweasley]

I disagree there. J.K. Rowling has already mentioned several times that Lily Evans was a person to forgive easily. Just think how she married someone whom she had disapproved of previously for years. I imagine her as someone who gets angry quickly and cools down just as fast.
    She has a strong sense of right and wrong, it's true, but she also knows when something wrong done for the right reason is a good thing.

I think she was a sunshiny person. Anyone who came in contact with her was better for it. I think she treated James the way she did because she was showing him that she didn't approve of his actions, but I'm sure that whenever he behaved well she was just as fast to reward him for it, perhaps with a smile.
    I agree that the cliched, slap-happy Lily Evans is not plausible.

J.K. Rowling has said she was a "catch," and she was, but she wasn't the popular, cheerleader type. She was a girl very different and not afraid to be good, and I think she may have intrigued many because she was unique - a beautiful girl who's anything but shallow.

What's wrong with being beautiful? What's wrong with being talented? Just because not everybody is like that, doesn't mean she can't be. Otherwise she wouldn't have been so significant.
    I think everyday she tried to improve herself and her friends.

She does have faults. As I said earlier, I think she had a quick temper (but no grudges.) I think she may have been overbearing and motherly-ish, which can be a fault.

She also had fears and hopes. As a young girl J.K. Rowling hints that she was eager to dispel any thoughts of Muggle-born inferiority, and that probably continued on with her as she got older, so any reference to her blood status would probably offend her.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lola-Louisa

You've got to remember the way she is represented in the books is purely from Harry's view. Harry owes her a life debt, so he's hardly going to sit there and talk bad about her. In Harry's eyes, his mother was perfect and he didn't go on the look out for her flaws.

Lola x
    I completely agree with this, and I think that sometimes, when people die tragic and/or heroic deaths, certain parts of their personalities are glazed over and people only remember the very best things about someone. Iím not suggesting that this means that Lily was actually a demon, but from what people say about her in the book, she comes across as an excellent person, very nice, pretty, kind and talented, and that does seem a tad unlikely to be that amazing a person; she must have had a few personality flaws. But, because of how she died, I reckon people might forget the fact she was bit stubborn, or quick tempered, and so in the books, this was never mentioned.

This happens with James; all Harry is ever told about his father is that he was brave, talented, excellent at Quidditch and generally a good man, but we learn in OoTP that in school he wasnít that great. This aspect of his character could have been slightly forgotten by people like Hagrid, Dumbledore, Madam Rosmerta etc (canít remember who else talks about James, my books are at uni so I canít check) because of the instant hero he became when he died defending his family from Voldemort.

Considering this, Lily probably did have flaws, they just arenít remembered. She may have been stubborn (consider what JKR says about Lily in response to the question about why did she marry James, and also Sirius's response to a simelar question from Harry), and perhaps too opinionated (her cheeky answers to Slughorn regarding Slytherin), I for one am inclined to believe this. I think I remember reading somewhere that Lily definitely would have got an owl or two warning her about underage magic in the summer holidays, so Iím sure this would reflect back onto her school behaviour. She wouldnít have been as flagrant in her rule breaking as James and the other Marauders, but I do believe she would have been caught a few times, though she got away with it much more often.

Quote Originally Posted by type-n-shadow

I disagree there. J.K. Rowling has already mentioned several times that Lily Evans was a person to forgive easily.
    But if she was able to forgive easily, how could she not forgive Snape when he called her a Mudblood? I believe that that incident must have been the last straw in a series of events that hinted to her that Severus was more inclined to the Dark Arts.

Iíve got a question. I donít know if itís been asked before (I did try and read all of this but it is sixteen pages long, I might have missed some things!), but I read a fic recently that had Lily as confiding in someone (when she had been drinking, admittedly) that she was slightly scared about how fast her relationship with James was progressing. Iíve gone over the dates, and everything does seem to happen incredibly fast. Do you think it's plausible that she would sometimes have doubts about the speed of their relationship? Or do you think that they would have both been keen for it to go at this pace, considering something Molly Weasley said in HBP about how Ďlast time people were eloping left right and centreí? Do you think James, coming from an old and traditional Pureblood family, would sort of be *expected* to marry quickly, and would be more inclined to settle down early? (Sorry if this last part belongs in the James thread, but I think it still relates to Lily)

Sarah xx

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldnít Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Please continue this discussion here.

Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House