Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Lily (Evans) Potter

cmwinters
    Absolutely she would have but Hallowe'en was kind of a big to-do at Hogwarts, and why would she have left Harry alone?

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the friend would have thrown herself in front of the Dark Lord's curse in the first place, and even if she had, I don't think it would have provided the blood protection.

padfoot_returns
    Definitely!! I would question Lily's insanity if she didn't. Whether in RL or in stories, a lot of people find ways to blame themselves for the death of their loved ones. Although this may not happen to everyone, it is a part of mourning for many.

xxRiham

bellaoc
    I'm trying to write Lily, in an AU, if one of Lily's friends had been babysitting Harry instead the night of Voldemort's attack, would she have felt guilty about how her friend gave her life instead?
    Oh completely, Lily would most definitely blame herself for the death of her friend. However, I think depending on how you write the fic, Lily and Lily's friend, this could play out in several different ways. For example, if you write the story where Lily leaves Harry with friend Mary (just a random name!), but Mary is fully aware of fact that by babysitting Harry, she is putting herself in harms way, then I think Lily's blame could be lessened. Obviously she would still feel some blame, because who wouldn't, but I think eventually she would put it behind her and be able to rise above the blame, while never forgetting the sacrifice her friend made.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the friend would have thrown herself in front of the Dark Lord's curse in the first place, and even if she had, I don't think it would have provided the blood protection.
    I agree, the friend might not throw herself in front of curse but I think Voldemort would have no problem just blasting her out of the way, and wouldn't grant her a chance to stay alive. Also, yeah the blood protection thing would be completely gone, but if Harry's parents are still alive, blood-protection might not be completely necessary.
    Hope this helps!
    --Bella

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    So, Lily writes in her letter to Sirius that she cried for days when she heard about the McKinnons. This is the year 1981, and the Order losses members quickly. Also we can expect a fair amount of injuries where members on missions are concerned.

My question: is Lily the weepy kind? And how much weepiness is enough? I want to prevent her from becoming a melodramatic wreck, and so I'm wondering if James, Sirius or Remus were to return home mildly injured, (not George-injured) will she maintain her composure? Will she cry, or what?

Also, Sirius and Lily. Well, one example of platonic relationship in the novels is shared by Harry and Hermione. I'm dreading writing this, because I don't want to create comparison, but sorry, it can't be helped... So the nature of casual and platonic relationship between Lily and Sirius, do you think it was stronger or weaker than what we saw with Harry and Hermione? I'm sure it developed with time. Does the way Lily write her letter tell us anything interesting about the two of them?

-Akay

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    My question: is Lily the weepy kind? And how much weepiness is enough? I want to prevent her from becoming a melodramatic wreck, and so I'm wondering if James, Sirius or Remus were to return home mildly injured, (not George-injured) will she maintain her composure? Will she cry, or what?
    I don't see her as the weepy kind, but there isn't a lot of evidence to back up either point of view. The one thing that sticks in my mind, though, is that when we do see her, we see her angry or laughing and not crying. Also, when she speaks to Harry (in GOF and DH) she's not weeping, and her son is facing imminent death. Personally speaking, I can't see James Potter wanting to be with a weepy, wailing woman (I'm biased though)
    In the letter, by the way, she says she cried all evening, not for days. That implies a normal response whereas days does make her sound a bit too weepy.

So the nature of casual and platonic relationship between Lily and Sirius, do you think it was stronger or weaker than what we saw with Harry and Hermione?
    I don't think their relationship would be as strong as Harry and Hermione's. Lily was very anti the Marauders for at least the first five years of their relationship - although I'll concede she probably got on okay with Remus (although we don't have any real evidence for that - bar the fact he was a prefect too.) I think as she got close to James then the friendship between her and Sirius would get stronger. I can see Sirius seeing her as a part of James, and therefore like a sister to him. Sirius doesn't have any good female role models in his life (except Andromeda, perhaps) so I honestly can't see him seeking out a platonic friendship with a girl.
    You could make it slightly awkward to begin with and it develops into a friendship later. You never know, he may even be a bit jealous that James is moving on.

Does the way Lily write her letter tell us anything interesting about the two of them?
    It tells us that she trusts Sirius and it tells us that they obviously did have a very good friendship by then. She addresses it to Padfoot, so she probably refers to all the Marauders by their nicknames. I get the feeling from the letter, and the way she talks about James, that her and Sirius would sometimes join forces and tease James (he probably needs it). She obviously respects James and Sirius' friendship a great deal and in asking him to visit, she knows that James needs Sirius.

Hope this helps

Carole
    xxx

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

moonys-muggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot Patronus
    I don't think Lily is the weepy kind at all. She seems very strong and defiant. That doesn't mean that she would never cry, but I just don't see weepy as a very accurate description. Anyone who is able to defy Voldie three times is certianly not weepy.

Also, Sirius and Lily. Well, one example of platonic relationship in the novels is shared by Harry and Hermione. I'm dreading writing this, because I don't want to create comparison, but sorry, it can't be helped... So the nature of casual and platonic relationship between Lily and Sirius, do you think it was stronger or weaker than what we saw with Harry and Hermione? I'm sure it developed with time. Does the way Lily write her letter tell us anything interesting about the two of them?
    -Akay
    I think the action that tells us the most about their relationship is the fact that Lily agreed to make Sirius Harry's godfather. The fact that she would believe that Sirius would be the person best suited to care for her child shows that she has a deep respect for Sirius and that she trusts him with the most precious thing in her world. Did they get along? Yes, I think they did. From the letter it seems that they are friendly and I think that over time they would have developed quite a deep bond. They share similar convictions.

I don't know if you can compare the relationships between Harry and Hermione and Sirius and Lily because the circumstances are so different. Harry and Herimone had time to develop their friendship as children, and it deepened as they went through regular teenage experiences as well as extraordinary ones, while Lily and Sirius did not become friends until much later and their relationship was dependent first upon James and then working together in the order.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot Patronus
    So, Lily writes in her letter to Sirius that she cried for days when she heard about the McKinnons. This is the year 1981, and the Order losses members quickly. Also we can expect a fair amount of injuries where members on missions are concerned.

The reaction I would expect her is to be shocked for a second, then take care of their wounds etc, before she would retire to another room with an excuse, say, to put the bandages away. And maybe then James would walk after her and she would sob on his chest for a minute or so.
    In my image, this depends a lot on the circumstances though. Is she pregnant, and afraid that her child loses his father next time there's a fight? Or has there been another killing just before her friends and husband return and she's afraid it'll be the three of them the next week?
    I think it really depends. She certainly wouldn't burst out into tears in front of everybody as soon as she sees them, but I think especially if she knows that she's going to have a child, she'd be scared and worried enough to confide in James and be a bit emotional when doing so. Though I'm sure she'd let him calm her down.

Sagen
    Okay so I'm writing a story that takes place in Lily's seventh year, with her father dying in March her sixth year. In her seventh year she incounters some terrible events (concerning her friend and the Marauders). Since her father's death she gets mad more easily and the results aren't normal. It's like a volcano going off.

Do you think it would be OOC for this to happen to Lily?

Peace,
    Gen.

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagen
    Do you think it would be OOC for this to happen to Lily?
    I think she'd be sad, and maybe she'd be a little touchy and more prone to irritability, not having much patience for, say, James Potter's idiotic pranks, but I can't really see her "going off like a volcano."

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I think it depends on her relationship with her father. If you want her to act the way you described it, then show in your story before her father's death that they had a close relationship and that his death really upset her a lot.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey