Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily (Evans) Potter

LexiGirl
    I've always pictured Lily as a Hermione-sort person. Very studious and rule abiding, but then, as many other's mentioned, I also see her as being quite spontaneous around her friends and peers. I've always had a perfect picture of Lily (or so I thought) but now, in my story, I have no idea if she is acting to her character or not.

In one of the stories I'm working on, James, Lily and one of their close friends from Hogwarts accidentaly time travel 24 years into the future (I know - it's such a cliche plot-line! But mine isn't based on the time travel or Harry being reunited with his parents at all. You'll just have to read it and find out). Lily is scared to death about leaving Harry behind in their time with Voldemort diligently searching for him. When they run into Harry (as assumed would happen...) well...I'll just give you an exerpt:

Harry stared shocked at the fiery haired woman in front of him. "Mum?" he croaked out, barely hearing is own voice. Her large emerald eyes grew bigger as she mouthed the his name. Harry nodded with and indecisive, confused look on his face.

Harry walked across the room and sat in the chair next to her bed. He quickly clenched his eyes shut in desperate attempts to not cry. Lily turned and smiled at him with a look Harry had never seen before, a mother's love. Tears quickly formed in her eyes as sat up and looked him over.

"You survived," she sobbed into his shoulder...

I know it's kind of short. But that seems to be the only part that I am worried about so far. So, does she seem in character...unrealistic...totaly barabaric? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~Lexi

(Oh, and I know this isn't Harry's page...but does he seem alright too?)

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by LexiGirl
    I've always pictured Lily as a Hermione-sort person. Very studious and rule abiding, but then, as many other's mentioned, I also see her as being quite spontaneous around her friends and peers. I've always had a perfect picture of Lily (or so I thought) but now, in my story, I have no idea if she is acting to her character or not.
    As a student, she was cheeky (as described by Slughorn), fiery, independent and quite confident (as evidenced by her VITUPERATIVE defence of Snape in Order of the Phoenix), a good enough student to be one of Slughorn's favourites and Head Girl besides, and at least smart enough to not get caught at breaking rules enough to get detentions, as evidenced by Snape's failure to torment Harry about that TOO.

I don't know how rule-abiding she was - I don't think she was anywhere quite as stringent about it as Hermione is. She brought home frog spawn, for example, and did Transfiguration in front of her sister who she knew would be freaked out by it. So not really like Hermione, but probably dedicated to her studies just the same.

In one of the stories I'm working on, James, Lily and one of their close friends from Hogwarts accidentaly time travel 24 years into the future (I know - it's such a cliche plot-line! But mine isn't based on the time travel or Harry being reunited with his parents at all. You'll just have to read it and find out). Lily is scared to death about leaving Harry behind in their time with Voldemort diligently searching for him. When they run into Harry (as assumed would happen...) well...I'll just give you an exerpt:

Harry stared shocked at the fiery haired woman in front of him. "Mum?" he croaked out, barely hearing is own voice. Her large emerald eyes grew bigger as she mouthed the his name. Harry nodded with and indecisive, confused look on his face.

Harry walked across the room and sat in the chair next to her bed. He quickly clenched his eyes shut in desperate attempts to not cry. Lily turned and smiled at him with a look Harry had never seen before, a mother's love. Tears quickly formed in her eyes as sat up and looked him over.

"You survived," she sobbed into his shoulder...

I know it's kind of short. But that seems to be the only part that I am worried about so far. So, does she seem in character...unrealistic...totaly barabaric? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    For that part she seems ok, but it's a little confusing why she'd *AGREE* to leave her kid in that circumstance.

Um, how can Harry see the look on Lily's face if his eyes are closed? Also, Molly has been like an adopted mother to him, so I might reword that he'd never seen ANY mother's love.

(Oh, and I know this isn't Harry's page...but does he seem alright too?)
    Well, given how short the excerpt is, yes, but we'd need to see more of that. (Just not here...!)

kask
    I have a question about Lily. We all know that she was very brave and loved Harry greatly. But do you think it's plausible that Lily (in the beginning) could have resented Harry's birth slightly. A lot of the fics I've read that are about Lily and James when they are married and expecting Harry have portrayed them both as excited and full of joy. I'm working on a fic where it's a bit different.

Lily was either in her late teens or very early twenties when she had Harry. She was brave and talented, in the Order of the Phoenix. But all of sudden, she's pregnant. She doesn't know what will happen with the war and she's incredibly young. She can't do as much for the Order in terms of helping, because she has a small son to take care of.

I'm curious as to other people's opinions on this. I want it to be clear that Lily did love her son, but she was human and wanted her youth too. Do you think this would work?

joybelle423
    I really, really, really like this idea. It's something different; as you said, all the fics I've ever read are kind of cliche. I think it's very plausible, not to mention realistic, for Lily to be confused about her feelings when she realises she's pregnant. Not that she'd EVER consider abortion, but that maybe it was an unplanned pregnancy and would take her out of the action. She's probably dedicated her whole life to fighting for the Order, and now, suddenly, she has to be responsible for someone else. I can picture James wanting her to stay out of the fighting while she's pregnant, which she won't like a bit! Like some of the other posters have said, she's fiery, stubborn, independent, loyal, and cheeky, so I imagine she'd fight hard to keep fighting for the Order (she's obviously a fighter and very loyal -- look at what she did for Harry!).

As for my take on Lily, I'd always based her on Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice -- both the book and the film with Colin Firth. Pretty, but not as pretty as others, and she wouldn't call herself that; very intelligent, witty, and sarcastic; patient; when insulted (or when her family/friends are insulted) she will defend herself (or family/friends); can be a little short-sighted when it comes to romance; proud, but not too proud to admit that she's wrong; lovable and wonderful when you get to know her, but generally seems strange/different/out-of-place to the outside world.

I'd also kind of based her on Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables series, and I know why I picked these two heroines. The guys falls in love with them right away, but the girls are too proud to admit they're in love, and they fight for quite a while before falling in love. It's going to happen to Ron and Hermione, too. I just love watching them fight, knowing how much they really care about each other but won't give in. Can't wait to see them get together!

babekitty_92
    Alright, budge over, characterization teacher coming through. (joking)

Originally Posted by LexiGirl
    JK has actually referred Lily as more like Ginny, though with Hermione tendancies. I think she is rule-abiding and studious but she is very friendly and kind. She also has a terrible temper and will snap if pushed. She will break a school rule if she must but is generally a good-girl.

I have a question about Lily. We all know that she was very brave and loved Harry greatly. But do you think it's plausible that Lily (in the beginning) could have resented Harry's birth slightly. A lot of the fics I've read that are about Lily and James when they are married and expecting Harry have portrayed them both as excited and full of joy. I'm working on a fic where it's a bit different.

Lily was either in her late teens or very early twenties when she had Harry. She was brave and talented, in the Order of the Phoenix. But all of sudden, she's pregnant. She doesn't know what will happen with the war and she's incredibly young. She can't do as much for the Order in terms of helping, because she has a small son to take care of.
    Okay, Lily was around 19-20 when she had Harry, but it depends on what year you've decided her and James to be born in (If it was 1959, that makes her 20-21 at the time of Harry's birth or if it's 1960, then you're looking at aged 19-20) look on lexicon for more info on it if you need to.

I think this could work though. You could have at the start of having Harry at home being really hard on her and she finds it hard to cope because she wants freedom and realises that has vanished from her. She could be frustrated and so fed up with everything that she starts to get upset, but soon learns quickly to care for her baby well. You could also have her say if she is breast-feeding stuff like "Oh, I would love a drink but I shouldn't because of the baby" and sort of look put-out a little.

If you are worried about her being OOC, go check out my story "Together at Last" and you will pick up some OOC-ness about her. Also, go peek into my week seven discussion of my class, the lovely students have the right idea at the moment.

Now, a question for you all in general; how do you think James would have proposed to her and how did she react?

nuw255
    Quote Originally Posted by kask
    But do you think it's plausible that Lily (in the beginning) could have resented Harry's birth slightly. A lot of the fics I've read that are about Lily and James when they are married and expecting Harry have portrayed them both as excited and full of joy. I'm working on a fic where it's a bit different.

This is, I think, an excellent point to make. I still believe that Lily and James wanted to have Harry (i.e. he was no "accident"), but that doesn't mean she would instantly LOVE being a mother and start feeling all maternal. Many (some would say most) women go through post-partum depression, in varying degrees of seriousness, after giving birth. Lily was under a lot of stress at the time, possibly making it even more likely.

That being said, you wording makes me a little wary. I don't think Lily would for one second resent her son. She might resent herself for not being able to do everything she thinks she ought to be doing, she might resent the rest of the world because of the precarious situation she's been put in, she might even resent James for trying to protect her (if that's what he's doing), but I don't think she would resent Harry.

I also think it's quite possible that she didn't immediately love motherhood. My wife really struggled with this when our daughter was born, because all she had ever heard was how wonderful motherhood is and how a mother and baby bond instantly, etc. When our daughter was born, my wife didn't immediately feel maternal, and she went through a period of self-doubt, wondering what was wrong with her. Since then, we've learned that a lot of new mothers don't immediately feel "bonded" to their babies, and don't start feeling "maternal" right away. Looking back a few months later it seems like mother and baby bonded instantly and were happy together from the moment the baby was delivered, but that's an illusion.

Knowing what little we do about Lily Potter, I think it's quite possible that she had Harry and then discovered she didn't especially like spending her days taking care of an infant. Then she would feel guilty for thinking that, and start wondering if she was really cut out for motherhood. James would come home and find her crying and saying she's a bad mother, and when he asked what happened, she'd say she doesn't like being a mum. Then James would try to comfort her and tell her she's an excellent mother, and it will just take some getting used to. That sort of thing. Sorry if I went off into left field for a minute there.

On to the other question: How did James propose? Honestly, I have no idea. I tend to think he'd do something big and extravagant, just because he seems to be like that. If it was something like, I don't know, filling her flat with roses, then I think Lily would be touched and possibly be in tears when she accepted. If it was a bit, er, cornier, like maybe the wizard equivalent of flashing "Lily, will you marry me?" on the JumboTron at the World Series (Maybe a skywriting spell at the Quidditch World Cup?), then Lily might be either annoyed or amused, depending on exactly how you choose to characterize her.

MorganRay

lily

How did James propose?

I think he would have realized, by the time he proposed, that he had to do it in a classy and romantic way to impress Lily. I've always thought he tried at least one time and failed. Maybe he proposed to her in front of a lot of people (in the Ministry? at a Quidditch game?) and his first attempt failed miserably because Lily did not feel he was being romantic. Then, maybe she spent some time angry at him, and later, he proposed to her again, but it was better and involved them being in private. I never thought Lily would like to be proposed to in public because she would feel awkward and pressured to act. I can't picture Lily accepting just because there are a lot of people watching. Actually, I can see her being stubborn and saying no when James expects her to say 'yes.'

However, when his proposal goes through, James might use something creative. I've always thought that he would enchant fireflies to write 'Marry me' or something of that sort in the sky. I don't think Lily would cry, though. I can see her just start laughing and being genuinely happy. I've always pictured her sounding and looking like Kate Winslet, too, so that helps me picture the proposal scene.

pheonixflame
    MorganRay, good question.

Hmm, I actually have read a chaptered fic in which Lily refuses James' proposal, because she thinks it too soon (but I don't remember what it was called, sorry!).

I don't think that she would really mind that much if he proposed to her in a state of euphoria and excitement. Let's say he won a Quidditch game or something (even though I doubt he'd ask her to marry him during the school year- they'd be kind of young, wouldn't they?), and the crowd is cheering and screaming and he'd just ask her to marry him, I think she'd rather say yes to that. I mean, she did seem to be a fun person, not some uptight nerd with her nose in a book, you know?

Of course, if James'd propose to her in complete silence and attract everyone's attention, then Lily would probably be a little... "ehh" to that. *hopes that made sense*

Anyway, as for my question-- Were Lily's parents really murdered by Voldemort? Or have I just been reading way too many fanfics?

Edit Thankies! *huggles*

Madame Marauder
    Lily's parents died normal, Muggle deaths. No murder, no scandal. Just old age. Ditto for James' parents.

kask
    I have a question. Do you think there is any chance that Lily was adopted?