Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part V

Vindictus Viridian
    Chrissy, if you link to a Professor-rated fic, the screening stays in place to demand the login. It won't give anyone a way around that I'm-seventeen checkbox.

Zacko, this is the sort of question that belongs in a Room of Requirement or General Fanfic Discussion thread, not an ask-the-mods thread. However, one reason would be that a writer who has perfectly good grammar, punctuation, and spelling skills may still want a canon-checker, a plot-checker, or a long-sentences checker. Another set of eyes is always a good thing, and just because something made sense to the writer doesn't mean it'll work for anyone else.

Lily, that's just plain weird. All I can suggest is that the edit page should be used as seldom as possible (it messes up the formatting anyway) and that the category should be double-checked before you leave the first part of the submission routine -- it can get dislodged with a scroll down, for instance. I'll try to keep an eye out for your things in Marauder-Era and make sure they stay there, though.

nysuperstarz
    Okay, so I have two questions, here goes, I know that everyone mods general, but how do you choose who goes to mod there and when, do you have some kind of schedule or do you just go whenever you have the time or when your done with your own section?
    Also, I posted A story in general (well its in queue anyways) and I put an AU warning on it, the thing is that I changed a lot of stuff so that it would fit my story and it doesnt *all* go with canon, but, my story doesnt revolve around the AU parts, its just hte story of my two, OC's going through adventures at Hogwarts, so my questions is, would that be correct to put it in the general fanfiction category? The story has a mixture of humor, romance adventure and all things in between so im pretty sure its general but I just want ot make sure!

I_Love_Fanfics
    um, i have a question. how do i contact the mods for Rejected fanfics? The rejection letter was sent to an email address that had been deleted, and i posted my story so it would be sent to my new email address, but still no letter. how can i contact a mod and ask them to please resend my letter to my new email address?

Lily Windsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindictus Viridian
    Lily, that's just plain weird. All I can suggest is that the edit page should be used as seldom as possible (it messes up the formatting anyway) and that the category should be double-checked before you leave the first part of the submission routine -- it can get dislodged with a scroll down, for instance. I'll try to keep an eye out for your things in Marauder-Era and make sure they stay there, though.
    Thanks. But is it possible to change my fic to the Marauders Era category? I already have one person asking how the hell my story is funny.

Potions Mistress Hufflepuff
    Receiving Toilet Seats
    nysuperstarz - Not all mods have categories (me, for example). Sweepers, who don't have specific categories, are responsible for general, dark/angst, humor, and any category that gets backed up. Category mods also poke around those areas, basically everyone just does what they can to help out. For your story, my take on AU is thus: if the AU is central to the plot (for example, Harry sorted into Slytherin) this should go in AU. Also, if the story is your version of book six, it belongs in AU. If the story doesn't take canon into consideration in a less major way, for example, Dumbledore is still alive, but plays a minor role in the story, it needs an AU warning.

I_Love_Fanfics - There is a thread in the questions forum called "I Didn't Get a Rejection Letter". Post your information in that thread, and hopefully the mod who read that story will remember it and be able to get in contact with you.

Behind every computer monitor is a person with feelings, just like yours.
    THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Author Page

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Lily, I've moved your fic from Humour to Marauder's. If for some reason it doesn't stay there, come back to us.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

spottedcat83
    Question about those big spaces that show up when an unsuspecting author goes in to edit and only finds out a long time later that the big spaces between paragraphs show up just because she edited the chapter... (long breath after a very long sentence)

Can I do anything to repair the situation? Can I re-submit my chapter without having to send it through the queue?

Or can I go into the chapter to edit, cut out the "big spaces" chapter, and paste in a new, fresh chapter words? It would be the same chapter, just... without those big spaces.

Wand_Waver2006
    Yes, I'm back. I have two questions: I was wondering how you get into classes for the Fall term and how you participate, and how you can become a PI acredited beta when I get good enough with fanfiction that I think I can help people with theirs.

Thank you for listening to my many questions. Thanks in advance!

~Star~

sirius_rocks
    I've asked Deanine about this, but I was wondering about other Mod's opinions.

I got a new password sent out from MNFF and I never recieved an email from them. Does anyone know why this happens?

ChrissyOfGryffindor
    I submitted three nominations to the QSQs: one in Best Romance - Original Character, Best Romance - Non-canon, and Best Romance - Canon, each, but only the one for canon romance showed up. Have the posts in the other threads not been moderated yet, or did they just not show up, or did I do something wrong? Should I re-post, or should I just wait? Thanks in advance for the help!