Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Narcissa Malfoy (née Black)

Mind Games
    Okay, I'll go ahead and keep him in Ravenclaw. Thanks for all the help!

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    I have a question on how Narcissa would act in a certain situation-in the fan fiction I'm working on, Draco is bitten by Fenrir Greyback. My question is, how would Narcissa react? What emotions should I portray her as having?

eyeofthetiger
    Well based on DH, Narcissa would be really torn up about it. She didn't care about the war (towards the end) she just wanted her son and wanted him to be safe. However, there is the Wolfsbane potion, so he would be a tame wolf. I don't remember if Wolfsbane potion made the transformations harmless though.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    I agree with Dani. Draco is her son and she loves him- him being a werewolf (assuming he was bitten at full moon) won't change that. I do think that Narcissa would not let Fenrir go unpunished. I'm not sure she would kill him, but I think she'd be very angry and would do anything in her power to make his life miserable. All of that would also apply to Lucius Malfoy.
    Banner by Minna.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Ok, thanks everyone! I actually have some questions about the answers (if that makes sense):
    Do you think your answers would be different if this happened after DH?
    What if it was Lucius' fault that Draco was bitten?
    How would she act in St. Mungo's right after she found out what happened?
    Again, thanks everyone!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Given what we know from canon, Narcissa would do anything for Draco.

She lies to the Dark Lord. She gives Draco her wand - leaving herself unprotected. Draco is all important to her.

Personally I think she'd kill Greyback. Even if Wolfsbane makes the condition more manageable, Draco is still tainted for life. The only way she wouldn't kill him is if that would make things more difficult for Draco. So ... if Voldemort decreed that Greyback wasn't to be harmed and if she killed him then he'd kill Draco, then Narcissa would bide her time.

She'd still love Draco, would fight fiercely for him, and would be extremely protective.

~Carole~

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Not a double post ...

Do you think your answers would be different if this happened after DH?

Not for me. I thought she'd kill Greyback. Without Voldemort around, I'd pretty say she'd ignore Law Enforcement and kill him. It actually depends how soon after DH. Narcissa has spent years bowing to another's will and having to hold things together. I could see her snapping if Draco was harmed and lashing out. If it were a year or so later, then she might be calmer. Perhaps she's let the authorities deal with it, or perhaps she;d take an elaborate revenge.

What if it was Lucius' fault that Draco was bitten?
    Depends how he's at fault. If he sacrificed Draco to save his own skin or for monetary reasons, then she wouldn't forgive him. However, I can't see Lucius doing that. He's horrible but he loves his son and wife - he isn't cruel to them. If Lucius was negligent, then I don't think Narcissa would be able to forgive him for a long while (unless Draco talked her around). If it was an accident on Lucius' part, I think she'd forgive him. She appears to love her husband. They certainly have a moment together at the beginning of DH, and also when they're running through Hogwarts hand-in-hand screeching for Draco.

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    How would Narcissa react?: Well, I'd generally see her as very reserved, but because she cares so much about Draco I think him being seriously hurt might be the thing to make her snap. I think she'd try to kill Greyback, unless it made Draco's life more difficult somehow. At least I'm sure she'd do her damnedest to make his life as miserable as he possibly could. She'd be shattered by Draco being bitten, I'm sure, since she's spent so long doing her very best to give her son a good life and Greyback has ruined it in one stroke.

Do you think your answers would be different if this happened after DH?: No, in fact, I think she'd react even more strongly, since she's won the war for the other side because she thought it would be best for Draco.

What if it was Lucius' fault that Draco was bitten?: Oooh... I've always thought that Narcissa's relationship with her husband was either a proper Pureblood marriage, or what had once been a very romantic relationship that the romance had gone out of after Lucius joined the Death Eaters, but either way I don't think the relationship mattered enough that Narcissa would put him before Draco. It would DEFINITELY end their relationship, at the very least. Unless it was completely accidental, in which case she might forgive him. However, I think it would colour their relationship regardless.

How would she act in St. Mungo's right after she found out what happened?: I'm quite frankly not sure. She's been known to cry before when her son is in danger, and I'm sure when her son has been bitten by a werewolf she wouldn't be holding back.

These are great questions, and I certainly hope you write it because I'd LOVE to read it!
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Narcissa Malfoy

I am currently writing a fic about Narcissa Malfoy. It ranges from her childhood as one of the Blacks to shortly after the final battle and is mostly comprised of missing moments. I know that Naricssa is proud and haughty towards others, but how would she behave towards her family and childhood friends? How would she feel about Bellatrix joining the Death Eaters as a young woman? And what about Andromeda marrying Ted Tonks (disdainful, probably)? What would she be like in school? How would she feel about marrying Lucius Malfoy? How would she treat Draco as a young boy? What would she think as she watched her sister fall in battle? What would it be like to have Voldemort staying at the manor?

I have so many questions, and I would really appreciate any help that I can get--I would like to make this writing as strong as possible. Thanks!

~Julie
    Last edited by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor; 06-16-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Post relocated to pre-existing thread. Narcissa Black Malfoy has already been classified as minor by prior forum leaders.

epiphany212
    I feel as though you, as an author, have leeway with a lot of these things since Narcissa is a minor character with little canonical evidence to characterize her. she seems, as you said, somewhat haughty and cold in our first exposure to her in the books, through Harry's interaction with her right before the World Cup game. That said, she is clearly a doting mother--those packages of sweets she sends Draco show a different side of her altogether, which is perhaps reserved for her loved ones. And in the vow she extracts from Severus, we see her protective nature and immense loyalty to her son as well, a willingness to sacrifice herself for those she loves, an unselfishness. We also see in that scene, if I recall correctly (sorry, I don't have the books on hand at the moment so I can't reference them), her tense relations with her sister Bellatrix at that point.

So, specifically addressing your questions, I think she would behave relatively warmly towards her family, particularly her son. I imagine she has a bit of a hierarchy in her mind. For example, her son comes first--if any person threatens his well-being, family or not (even her own sister Bellatrix), she will turn against them. I would guess her husband falls a close second, and following him, probably those who are her blood, i.e. the Blacks still aligned with her husband's allegiance.

She's never shown any degree of political aspirations or beliefs in the books, but then again, she's also never shown an apathy towards it--we simply don't know. So it's up to you as to how she would feel about Bellatrix joining the Death Eaters, because you can decide if she has strong political opinions or not. She follows the Dark Lord, in my opinion, because of her husband, and then resents/resists him once he puts her son's life at risk. My personal impression from canon is that, for her, political beliefs are simply a means to an end, and that end is the safety of her feeling.

Andromeda and Ted Tonks--I think her reaction would be strongly than disdain, probably anger/betrayal, etc. The strength of her beliefs about blood purity, is a grey area where you have some leeway as an author to characterize her. It's pretty definite that she is biased towards pureblood as that was the belief of the family in which she was raised and of the man she married. But even if her belief in that is simply a byproduct of her upbringing (i.e. something about which she isn't personally passionate), loyalty to family comes above all else for her. Andromeda's willingness to turn her back on her family is probably something which Narcissa both doesn't understand and also is very angry about. I could easily imagine her hating her sister for that betrayal.

We have little indication of how she was in school; that's completely up to you. Carefully consider her upbringing, and her encounter with Harry (odds are that she probably showed a similar face to at least some of her peers at Hogwarts). Lucius--throughout the books, she is very loyal to him and continues to stand by him during his period of disgrace with the Dark Lord and after the Battle of Hogwarts. I choose to take that as a testament to the strength of her love for him. But it could just be loyalty driven by the fact that she shares his name and, as a result, she will be impacted if any misfortune befalls him.

Earlier I mentioned the packages of sweets--she was probably a very doting mother, and seeing her sister fall in battle, well, as we saw at the start of the book in the scene with Snape, her relations with Bellatrix were tense because of issues with Draco. Still, Bellatrix was still her sister, and as a result, very high on the hierarchy of people whom she would protect and to whom she would feel loyalty. Let those different facts determine the emotions she feels at that moment. And Voldemort staying at the Manor... I remember some scenes in canon which made it clear that Draco was terrified, and I believe Narcissa would be, too. The Dark Lord was unpredictable at best and absolutely cruel at worst, rather like having a viper in your sitting room, I imagine.

Best of luck with your story!

Alex: Very helpful post--3 points to Gryffindor