Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcissa Malfoy (née Black)

bluexroses
    JKR has taken great care in naming her characters, and Narcissa is no exception. Her name comes from "narcissism" which means (in a nutshell) selfishness and a craving for admiration. Narcissa is focused on what is most beneficial for her (and the people she cares about). I don't think she was really trying to help the "good side," so much as just saving her own family. Andromeda's decision rather than inspiring her, would probably turn her the opposite way. She saw how Andromeda was shunned and disowned, and felt it was better for herself to carry on with the rest of her family. Narcissa comes from a line of witches and wizards who all have the so-called "blood-mania." I think she joined up with Voldemort for the same reasons Draco and his fellow Slytherins did: family pressures. It's doubtful that she actually knew what she was getting into in the beginning. Later on I'm sure she realized what was actually going on, but again saw it best to stay, if only to save her own skin. You can't cross the Dark Lord and come out unscathed (ex. Regulus Black).

Quote Originally Posted by untitlednine
    I think the only loyalty she felt was towards Draco.
    I completely agree. Once her son and her husband were in danger, she couldn't sit back on the sidelines. Narcissa was never as loyal to Voldemort as she appeared. She did not act to help the "good side." She has the spirit of a Slytherin; she is loyal to only herself and her own.

In a way I see her as the Slytherin Molly Weasley. She won't be in the thick of things in general, but lay a finger on her family and IT'S ON!

~Ayesha

VanityFair
    I personally think that Narcissa Malfoy had had her life manipulated for her one time too many. The only thing she truly loved was her son, Draco, and other than him she had no will to live or survive. She was willing to put her life and soul on the line for her sons safety.

MabelJT
    I'm a writing a story that is set around the Marauders Era but unlike most stories, my story will take place in the Slytherin common room, (It's just a figure of speech) from a Slytherin pureblood point of view - with Bellatrix, Narcissa, Lucius, Rodolphus, Regulus, and a few other OC as main characters.

I have a few (more than a few) questions that you guys can help me answer.

What is the age difference between Narcissa, Bellatrix and Andromeda? I'm also not really sure how to order the three sisters from the eldest to the youngest.

We all know that Bellatrix was the one that's more devoted to the Dark Lord but during their time at Hogwarts, was it any different? For example, do you see her as the one to go around hexing muggle-borns and flaunting the fact that she's part of/will be the Dark Lord's 'group' or death eaters?

About when did Bella join the deatheaters? If it was during Hogwarts, how do you think they managed to keep Dumbledore/other Headmaster from knowing?

Would Narcissa Black go out of her own way to mock or curse muggleborns or people from other houses? Or do you guys see her as this cold Slytherin who usually keeps to herself? What I'm asking is that would she, in any way, join Bellatrix in terrorizing 'mudbloods'?

During that period of time, was Narcissa or/and Bellatrix 'popular' among Slytherins? Did they have a flock of devoted admirers following them? Were they part of a big group of friends, do you think?

For some reason, I see Bella and 'Cissy' as being part of the same group of Slytherins... Does anyone of you disagree?

How do you think the two of them acted towards Sirius Black? Could you see her reminding him how he got burned off the family tree and how he was a 'disgrace' to the family? Or would she ignore him on purpose?

How was Narcissa's relationship with Severus Snape?

With Regulus?

With her sisters?

Thank you so much. And I apologize if there are some questions concerning someone other than Narcissa.

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by MabelJT

What is the age difference between Narcissa, Bellatrix and Andromeda? I'm also not really sure how to order the three sisters from the eldest to the youngest
    The order from oldest to youngest is Bellatrix, Andromeda and Narcissa. The encylopeida lists Bellatrixs date of birth as 1951 and Narcissa's as c 1955. If you put Andromeda somewhere in the middle it should be OK. You may be able to change the years (Sirus states in GOF that Bella was in school with them, or at least that Snape was friends with her while they were in school.

We all know that Bellatrix was the one that's more devoted to the Dark Lord but during their time at Hogwarts, was it any different? For example, do you see her as the one to go around hexing muggle-borns and flaunting the fact that she's part of/will be the Dark Lord's 'group' or death eaters?
    I can see her boasting about her pureblood lineage. We see her being cruel but it depends on how much of an effect being a Death Eater has had on her personality. I think that she would taunt muggle-borns, and may hex them. Of course she may be more devoted to Voldemort than to the cause (Jo has said that she was in love with him), so she may just be cold towards them.

About when did Bella join the deatheaters? If it was during Hogwarts, how do you think they managed to keep Dumbledore/other Headmaster from knowing?
    I think that the only reason Draco was allowed to join the Death Eaters so young was to punish Lucius. As a result I don't think that she would have joined until after Hogwarts, although she may have met Voldemort when he applied for the Defense Against the Dark Arts job and he might have begun to train her. If you have her joining during Hogwarts Dumbledore would have been headmaster when the mauraders arrived.

Would Narcissa Black go out of her own way to mock or curse muggleborns or people from other houses? Or do you guys see her as this cold Slytherin who usually keeps to herself? What I'm asking is that would she, in any way, join Bellatrix in terrorizing 'mudbloods'?
    I don't see Narcissa as the type to get her hands dirty unless her family was threatned. She would be cold, and would defend herself, Bella, and possibly Andromeda well, but I don't see her attacking someone just for being muggle-born. She believed in the ideals, but was more concerned with herself and those she cared about.

During that period of time, was Narcissa or/and Bellatrix 'popular' among Slytherins? Did they have a flock of devoted admirers following them? Were they part of a big group of friends, do you think?
    Bella (pre Azakaban) and Cissy have both been described as pretty so I think that they would have had their fair share of admirers. I can imagine them treating most of them with disdain though. I'm not so sure about friends.

For some reason, I see Bella and 'Cissy' as being part of the same group of Slytherins... Does anyone of you disagree?
    I don't know. There were probably few acceptable people for them to hang around, and Bella was friendly with Snape who would have been younger than her, but people don't tend to hang around with their siblings and their friends. Think of Harry and Ginny. He points out that Ginny doesn't hang around with them much at Hogwarts.

How do you think the two of them acted towards Sirius Black? Could you see her reminding him how he got burned off the family tree and how he was a 'disgrace' to the family? Or would she ignore him on purpose?
    Bella would have left school by the time Sirus was blasted of the tree. I can imagine her ignoring him, if not hexing him for being sorted in Gryffindor and for being a rebel. I don't see either of them reminding Sirus about being blasted of the tree. They would ignore him. He's not family to them any more, and I don't think that either of them would think that reminding him would upset him or encourage him to change his ways.

We know that she trusted him not to turn her into Voldemort for disobeying his orders not to speak of Draco's mission. You could probably write it either way though. She may have trusted him because of Lucius, or only became friendly with him after she and Lucius were married and he became a Death Eater.

With Regulus?
    It depends on the age gap. She might have considered him an annoying brat if he was a good bit younger, but she would still love him and defend him if he needed it. If they were around the same age I would say that they were close, but not too close. I don't think that she would have gone to Reg (if he was alive) the way she did to Snape, and I don't think that he would have confided in her when he decided to leave the Death Eaters, but I can see him calling for dinner with her and Lucius, and maybe being Draco's godfather, if he has one.

With her sisters?
    I think that she and Bella got on well. She is the one thing that Bella seems to put above Voldemort, she doesn't tell him about her betrayal in going to Snape after all, and is surprised that Narcissa would attack her. I can also see her being close to Andromeda if Andromeda kept her relationship with Ted secret, and didn't openly rebel against the family values until she (Andromeda) left to marry Ted. However if Andromeda was a rebel, I think that Narcissa would have followed Bella's example and ignored her.

MerryD
    What is the age difference between Narcissa, Bellatrix and Andromeda? I'm also not really sure how to order the three sisters from the eldest to the youngest.

Bellatrix was born in 1951. Andromeda was born in 1953. Narcissa was born in 1955.

We all know that Bellatrix was the one that's more devoted to the Dark Lord but during their time at Hogwarts, was it any different? For example, do you see her as the one to go around hexing muggle-borns and flaunting the fact that she's part of/will be the Dark Lord's 'group' or Death Eaters?

She would probably brag about being pureblood a lot, and rub it everyone else's face. I can see her making fun of Muggle-borns and purposefully trying to make them feel bad and ashamed of who they are. I imagine that she would treat them as 'scum' and 'dirt', much like her aunt.

About when did Bella join the Death Eaters? If it was during Hogwarts, how do you think they managed to keep Dumbledore/other Headmaster from knowing?

Well, in the seventies Voldmort was beginning to gain power and attract followers. Bellatrix's seventh year was 1968. So, she would have been out of school.

I think that she'd be more of a cold Slytherin. She walk around haughtily, thinking she's better than everyone else, but I don't think she'd go around hexing anyone. I can see her being amused by Bellatrix and Co.'s precedings, but she wouldn't join in.

Bellatrix, definately. I'm sure she was popular and had a gang with her at all times. Narcissa... I'm sure she'd have her admirers because she's pretty, but I don't think that she'd have a big group of friends. Maybe one or two close friends, and of course, Bellatrix and Andromeda.

Umm.. not really. Bellatrix probably wouldn't want her annoying little sister tagging along with her everywhere. Narcissa would want to find her own friends too. They'd probably be friendly, but not best buddies.

I think that Narcissa would ignore him completely. I can see Bellatrix occasionally hexing him and when she's about to attack him, she comments on how much of a disgrace he is. Or maybe I've read to many Marauders' Era fanfics.... For the most part I think that they would both ignore Sirius.

Narcissa is five years older than Snape. Just keep that in mind. I think that she'd probably have little or no interaction with him at Hogwarts. She thinks very highly of herself and when she's a sixth or seventh year, probably wouldn't talk to first or second year.

With Regulus?

She's six years older than Regulus. But, he is her cousin. She'd might acknowledge him once or twice when he's a first year, but I can't see her going out of her way to make conversation with him.

With her sisters?

I think that she'd be closer to Andromeda than Bellatrix. Andromeda is closer in age to her, and Andromeda seems to be a bit nicer than everyone else. From what we see of Narcissa and Bellatrix's relationship in HBP, it doesn't look like it's in all the great of shape. Now, granted, those were pretty drastic conditions, but it couldn't have been extraordinary when they were younger or it wouldn't have been that bad when they grew-up.

reference: lexicon

I hope this helps! Good luck with your story!

Peace out.

-Mere

leahsm2
    I believe Regulus was only sixteen when he joined the Deatheaters, so you can play with it however you want.

The problem with Bellatrix being at school with Snape et al is that James Potter's birth year is 1960, not 1959 which messes up Bellatrix being at Hogwarts with them (I was very sad when I read that in DH because Bellatrix being in Hogwarts with Sirius and his pals would have been very cool!)

MabelJT
    Thank you all who helped.

A few more questions, if you don't mind.

Suppose she's in sixth year at the moment. Would Narcissa allow a fifth year push her around a bit or give 'orders'? If the fifth year was Slytherin, pure blood, and pretty close with her and her family?

Could you see Narcissa Black simply shrugging or maybe rolling her eyes if a that person said 'put a leash on your boyfriend' ? Or would it be out of character?

quibblequill
    What is the age difference between Narcissa, Bellatrix and Andromeda? Bellatrix was oldest, then Andromeda, then Narcissa.

We all know that Bellatrix was the one that's more devoted to the Dark Lord but during their time at Hogwarts, was it any different? For example, do you see her as the one to go around hexing muggle-borns and flaunting the fact that she's part of/will be the Dark Lord's 'group' or Death Eaters?I'm not so sure about flaunting the fact that she was a junior DE, but she wouldn't have gone through much trouble to hide it. And I'm sure she did everything she could to make life a living heck for Mudbloods. She was never really one to restrain herself.

About when did Bella join the Death Eaters? If it was during Hogwarts, how do you think they managed to keep Dumbledore/other Headmaster from knowing?
    Well, in the early 70's Voldmort was beginning to gain power and attract followers. Bellatrix's seventh year was 1968. So, she would have been out of school. Besides, if she had been in school, it's not like Dumbledore would put an Imperious curse on her and order her not to contact Voldemort. If she had wanted to be a de, there wasn't much he could do about it.

As far as that goes, she would knock down anyone in her way when they were even - close to getting in her way, and if they were Mudblood, kudos to her. She wouldn't want to associate herself with any 'scum,' but trust me, there are worse ways of antagonizing people without laying a wand on them. Hexing someone just because they're there has become a very cliche Gryffindor way of dealing with something. Bell wouldn't have wanted to waste her time. She would have gone through some more *Slytherin* measures, if you ask me.

Hmmm...... well I see Bell in a group of Junior Death Eaters, primarily guys. I see Cissa in a small group of more polished members, primarily girls, with one or two, maybe three guys. Since Bella was four years older than Cissy, though I imagine they had some contact (more than that of their sister, An), I don't think they were part of the same group of friends.

'Group' isn't always the word..... Because while I think they would be friendly, and ultimately they ARE in the same 'group' (I don't mean DE's) I think they have different friends because of their ages. Does that make sense to anyone? They are and they aren't.

Just remember that by the time Sirius went to school, Bella had already graduated. Cissa would be almost ready to leave as well, so I dont think she'd have bothered as much, but the general hostility was certainly there.

Narcissa is five years older than Snape. Just keep that in mind. I think that she'd probably have little or no interaction with him at Hogwarts. She thinks very highly of herself and when she's a sixth or seventh year, probably wouldn't talk to first or second year.

With Regulus?
    She's six years older than Regulus. But, he is her cousin. She'd might acknowledge him once or twice when he's a first year, especially if he sought her out, but I can't see her going out of her way to make conversation with him.

With her sisters?
    I don't think she was ever extremely close to Bella. She's sort of blunt, conniving, basically she's extremely evil; Cissa IS actually warm and caring underneathe her icy exterior.
    Bella wouldn't have bothered with An. She would probably be overly hostile towards her, especially when it suited her.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Dust
    Does anyone have any ideas what caused Narcissa to go against the Dark Lord serval times? (for instance talking to Snape, helping Harry) Was it because of Andromeda's descion she was more willing to help "the good side"? Did she see what Bellatrix had become and not wanted to go that way? Was it a bad experince she had? Or was her love for Draco just that strong?

Any ideas at all are welcomed!
    i think Narcissa's decision to go against Voldemort is purely fuelled by her love for her son. I don't think her reltionship with Lucius comes as close as that with Draco. The reason i think this is that she's only defied The dark Lord when Draco has been in imminent danger. In other scenes she's been eager to please Voldemort- remember she recognises Hermione at Malfoy Manor and makes malfoy look at her too and pick out Harry as well.

She wasn't as important as Bella to Voldemort and wasn't a Death eater- she merely married one. I think she'd revere the Black family name and despise Sirius, blood traitors and mudbloods and I don't think these opinions would change although she would tone down her views in public. I think she would have joined in the disowning of Andromeda and the thought that her niece married a werewolf would have been horrific for her.

I'm not a fan of Narcissa. I know she helped Harry at the end but it wasn't to help him - it was simply to find Draco. I agree that for her the bloodline was very important- she was the only Black who produced an heir (discounting Andromeda) and that would have given her enormous pride.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

cmwinters
    Suppose she's in sixth year at the moment. Would Narcissa allow a fifth year push her around a bit or give 'orders'? If the fifth year was Slytherin, pure blood, and pretty close with her and her family?
    Hogwarts in general, and Slytherin in particular, seems to me to be fairly dedicated to the matters of pride and propriety. It would be appallingly out of line for a fifth year in any house to attempt to order any sixth year about. I sincerely doubt a fifth year Slytherin would even CONSIDER it. And no, Narcissa would absolutely not tolerate it.

Could you see Narcissa Black simply shrugging or maybe rolling her eyes if a that person said 'put a leash on your boyfriend' ? Or would it be out of character?
    Again, absolutely not. Narcissa ends up being characterised as the ditzy wallflower trophy wife a lot, but she's a powerful witch from a powerful family in her own right. Lucius Malfoy would absolutely not agree to a weak-willed and weak-magicked woman as his spouse and mother of his heir. At the very least an absolutely scathing remark about such an inappropriate Muggle term would come out of her mouth, and quite possibly a debilitating curse.