Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expelliarmus

erock98

Expelliarmus

I was just wondering whether or not Expelliarmus was exclusively for wands or if it could be used on other things. I thought I saw it used for other reasons somewhere, but don't have any of the books around at the moment.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by erock98
    I was just wondering whether or not Expelliarmus was exclusively for wands or if it could be used on other things. I thought I saw it used for other reasons somewhere, but don't have any of the books around at the moment.
    In Goblet of Fire, I believe during the Third Task Cedric uses Expelliarmus on the giant spider holding Harry in its fangs, forcing it to drop him. Also in Chamber of Secrets, Harry uses it on Draco Malfoy to retrieve Tom Riddle's Diary, which he had dropped in the corridor.

Therefore, Expelliarmus can be used to disarm anyone and anything.

Tim the Enchanter

erock98
    Thanks, I figured it could've been, but wasn't sure and I needed it for a story I literally just started.

lupins_girl2006
    Oh yea, and don't forget that Harry, Ron, and Hermione used it on Snape in PoA while in the Shack.

~Allieatrix

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    What annoys me about Expelliarmus is that it is described inconsistently throughout the books (and it's even worse in the movies!). This is a disarming spell - it makes your wand (or whatever you're holding) fly out of your hand. But when Snape demonstrates its use on Lockhart in CoS, it knocks him down in addition to disarming him. Then in PoA, the trio use it on Snape in the Shrieking Shack, and that knocks him out. Yet in every other scene in the book, the spell simply makes you loose whatever you're holding, and has no effect beyond that.

Please, Rowling, make up your mind!

Tim the Enchanter

Rhi for HP
    I think it's less about the fact that it's the disarming spell, and more the strength of the spell cast. In PoA, Snape is knocked off his feet because three wands are directing that energy at him, and the combined force knocks him down. In CoS, Snape really hates Lockhart, and so puts way more mental energy behind the spell than necessary to simply remove his wand. I guess with wands mental energy becomes physical force, and obviously energy combined equals stronger spell.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I think it's less about the fact that it's the disarming spell, and more the strength of the spell cast. In PoA, Snape is knocked off his feet because three wands are directing that energy at him, and the combined force knocks him down. In CoS, Snape really hates Lockhart, and so puts way more mental energy behind the spell than necessary to simply remove his wand. I guess with wands mental energy becomes physical force, and obviously energy combined equals stronger spell.
    This also plays into the fact that some wizards are stronger than others; that magic isn't just some random physical force in the universe. And it's not just the physical potential for strength, but the intent of the wizard can also have something to do with it.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    This also plays into the fact that some wizards are stronger than others; that magic isn't just some random physical force in the universe. And it's not just the physical potential for strength, but the intent of the wizard can also have something to do with it.
    True, but an Expelliarmus is an Expelliarmus spell. It's supposed to yank your wand out of your hand, not launch you into the air and knock you unconscious. Shouldn't a powerful disarming spell just increase the magical pull exerted on whatever the target person is holding?

Tim the Enchanter

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    Mad-Eye Moody says that even if the entire class in GoF used Avada Kedavra on him, all he would get is a nosebleed. He may have been speaking metaphorically, with a nose-bleed meaning hardly any damage... But on the other hand, if he was speaking literally, then a low-level Avada Kedavra can cause a nosebleed. But we know that a full-blown Avada Kedavra leaves no physical mark... This means that a spell can possibly change according to the power of the caster.

~BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    Mad-Eye Moody says that even if the entire class in GoF used Avada Kedavra on him, all he would get is a nosebleed. He may have been speaking metaphorically, with a nose-bleed meaning hardly any damage... But on the other hand, if he was speaking literally, then a low-level Avada Kedavra can cause a nosebleed. But we know that a full-blown Avada Kedavra leaves no physical mark... This means that a spell can possibly change according to the power of the caster.

~BB
    Good point. I hadn't thought of that...

But then again, Moody might have been speaking metaphorically, as you said. If that was the case, then the spell can ONLY work if there's enough force behind it. So I suppose it can go either way, with spells either strengthening or changing form with increased force, depending on your interpretation.

Bleh.

Tim the Enchanter