Thread: Editing Topic Titles

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George

Editing Topic Titles

Often times, a beta's, or a bannermaker's availability changes, whether it be due to RL, or something else.

So wouldn't it be a good idea to be able to see who's available and who's not, from the thread title itself?

This is why I suggest that in the Beta Services, For Sale or Rent forum, The Beta Guild forum, The Bannermakers forum, the Banner Display forum and the VideoMakers Association forum users should be allowed to edit their topic titles to reflect their availability. This would save people from having to bother mods about it, mods from having to do it, and would also help people find out if a person is available or not at first sight.

Just a thought, I thought I'd throw it out there.

BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I absolutely second this! But there should also be a rule about people editing their title's for silly things, like 'It doesn't rhyme/' or whatever, I dunno. But it would be a greta thing to just be able to glance at the thread and know what you're looking for.

Great idea, BB!

words were never so useless
    (as those you have just read)

James Jameson
    I agree, because I know that when I look in the BA forum, almost everyone says: Available! in their thread title and it runs out that they're not all available. And personally I know that my banner thread title is a little aged and a tad bit irrevelant to the time I first created it... >.>
    I guess this does however fall in the hands of the bannermakers because we should be thinking a little more carefully about what our thread titles are, but as BB said, they do change. Perhaps someone isn't going to be available ever ever again, but their thread says available and they get a load of annoying emails requesting banners...

I think BB had a fair idea

A.H.
    Me agrees. I hate reading a Beta's thread, squeeing about their perfect strengths, thanking the pixies of luckdom that they're available, and then finally scrolling to the last page to see that they're not, in fact, available. It may be a Modly power that's not often given to regular members, but I think it'd be useful for general members to have in certain areas of the boards.

/.2

-Ari-

padfoot_returns
    I completely agree with this. Other than what everyone else said, the main reason why I think its a good idea is because I know in a lot of forums, you have to post in a thread to change your title and then a Mod would change it for you. Mods already have enough on their plate and I think if this idea was put into place, it would save a lot of time and trouble for everyone.

xxRiham

twilightHPgirl18
    Hmm... BB, you have a great idea here! I'm a beta on these forums, and I decided to make my thread's title have as little to do with availability as I could. I had my original post saying 'Available' but my computer started crashing. So I had to keep posting with my availability status, which eventually became three posts in a row! I know we're supposed to not post more than once in a row unless absolutely necessary, and that ended up being ridiculous for me to have three in a row. We could resolve a lot of problems with double-, triple-, and quadruple-posting if we could change titles ourselves.

Originally posted by padfoot_returns
    Mods already have enough on their plate and I think if this idea was put into place, it would save a lot of time and trouble for everyone.
    Riham's right! Mods are the ones keeping this forum going, so it's thanks to them that we have this. We should try to make life as easy for them as possible.

Originally posted by A.H.
    I hate reading a Beta's thread, squeeing about their perfect strengths, thanking the pixies of luckdom that they're available, and then finally scrolling to the last page to see that they're not, in fact, available.
    Ari's got a great point there as well. I can't count the number of times this has happened to me, and it's pretty aggravating.

Originally posted by James Jameson
    Perhaps someone isn't going to be available ever ever again, but their thread says available and they get a load of annoying emails requesting banners...
    Too right you are, Tine! That's another great point, and as I said before, it's happened to me but I haven't been unavailable forever.

Originally posted by voldy_mort
    But there should also be a rule about people editing their title's for silly things, like 'It doesn't rhyme/' or whatever, I dunno.
    Does everyone who's posted here have a better point than I have to make. Sitara has awesome reasoning there as well.

So, I guess I'm going to (Sitara seconded it, Tine third-ed it, Ari fourth-ed it, and Riham fifth-ed it, so that leaves me with) SIXTH BB's original idea.

{BeccA}

padfoot_returns
    I think the point Sitara brought up can be solved by the Mods making it a rule that you cannot change your thread title for a silly reason. It would be same thing like a spammy post. The same way that Mods take off points for spammy posts, they can take off points for anyone who doesn't change their thread title unless necessary.

xxRiham

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Quote Originally Posted by padfoot_returns
    I think the point Sitara brought up can be solved by the Mods making it a rule that you cannot change your thread title for a silly reason. It would be same thing like a spammy post. The same way that Mods take off points for spammy posts, they can take off points for anyone who doesn't change their thread title unless necessary.
    Thing is, how would we check over who changed a title to what? We can't possibly remember hundreds of thread titles only to check from what or to what a title has been changed.

Also, whilst this is a lovely idea, I don't think this is possible technically. Right now, if you want your thread titles changed, then post the request in threads like "Title changes" like the PI betas forum has it, or ask the mod in charge of the forum if such a thread is permissable or PM the mod directly.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    Thing is, how would we check over who changed a title to what? We can't possibly remember hundreds of thread titles only to check from what or to what a title has been changed.
    Hmm, I have a question. How would it matter if a person changed the title of his thread? As long as it isn't vulgar or inappropriate, I thought a title could be anything? In which case, would it really matter if a person changed his thread's title?

BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    BB, the problem would be that if the system for members to change thread titles was the same as the ones mods use (it is not done through the edit post function), then anyone could change anyone's thread title and while the majority of our members are honourable, we do get SPAM users or users out to cause trouble who could start changing other people's thread titles to something inappropriate either as a joke or to cause genuine trouble. And when that happened we would have no way of knowing who edited which title and it could ultimately be more time-consuming for moderators

For us to change titles is actually a relatively simple task that does not take more than a few seconds - it is certainly not the most time consuming part of our job. Forums such as TTB and the beta forums have their own ways to request thread title changes (the former is done through PM and the latter through a thread in the beta forums themselves) and if no such facility exists in the bannermaking forums then I would suggest raising it with the leaders of those forums to see if they would be prepared to create a thread.

I've never actually received any requests from users to change thread titles and I wonder how many people have actually tried asking for a moderator's assistance. I would certainly have no problem changing the titles of any thread if I was contacted.

Thank you all for your feedback on this matter. It has been raised within the mods, who will discuss whether it is feasible technically and in other ways, and as I feel nothing more can be added to this suggestion and two mods have now responded, the thread will now be locked.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.