Thread: How many subjects do you take for N.E.W.T level?

Amortentia x

How many subjects do you take for N.E.W.T level?

How many subjects do you take for N.E.W.T level?
    I don't think they mention how many in the books...
    Or else I've just never noticed

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Well, the way it works is this. In your fifth year, you take the O.W.L.s. Whichever challses you get high enough scores in, you move on to the N.E.W.T. levels of that class. At then end of your seventh-year, you take the N.E.W.T. exaim, which will most likely determine your career.

The number of N.E.W.T.s you take, though, depends on the student. For example, Hermione took ten, where as Neville took only three.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Hermione actually took seven subjects for NEWT: Charms, DADA, Transfiguration, Herbology, Arithmacy, Ancient Runes and Potions

Neville does indeed take three and Harry and Ron both take five.

The way I look at it, NEWTs tend to be quite similar to Muggle A Levels. The average number is around four but people with higher ability may take more, though seven is a bit of a stretch unless you're outstandingly clever. People who aren't quite as strong in various subjects might take fewer. The minimum number of A levels a person would take nowadays is usually three.

So depending on how clever your character is, what grades they achieved at OWL and what subjects they enjoy or need for their career, you could probably have them taking anywhere between three and seven. I wouldn't go higher than seven as let's face it, Hermione probably did as many as she was allowed and would fit into her timetable and if she couldn't do more than seven, it's unlikely anyone else would.

I think I have an idea why you wanted to ask this...

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.