Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hogwarts during the summer

gryffindor_chica13

Hogwarts during the summer

In my new fic, Professor McGonagall arrives at Hogwarts during the middle of August. I want to know what you think- is it feasible that teachers would arrive that early? Also, what do you think that Hogwarts is like during the summer? Is it totally empty, or do some people stay all year? What do portraits/statues/house-elves/etc. do when the students are gone?

I'd really love some help with this! Thanks.

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    I think it is feasible for a teacher to arrive in Hogwarts while it is still the Summer holidays, especially one with as many duties and repsonsiblities as McGonagall. She probably needs a couple of weeks before the pupils get there to get herself sorted. It could be that some teachers simply stay in the castle all year round rather than having to maintain another home that they will only use for a few months of the year. Nothing has ever been said in canon and you could justify it to be as you wanted.

I imagine that in the holidays the house elves would stay at Hogwarts and continue to do their jobs - a castle that big must need constant cleaning. Also as they are magically bound to the school, it's hard to know where else they might go, except those who are in the paid employment of the school. As for the portraits, I'm sure they find enough to keep themselves entertained by talking to each other.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

A.H.
    I don't think students would be allowed to stay resident at Hogwarts. Wasn't there something in Deathly Hallows (or maybe HBP) about Riddle asking to stay there all year, and Dumbledore refusing him? Hmm... Must go check.

As for the teachers, I've always imagined that they lived there. As was said above me, there really isn't a point to keeping up another house when you'd only be there for a few months. But on the other hand, some teachers might get tired of living in the castle. So maybe it's a choice? Some might take on room and board, others might leave.

For what it's like... Magical. Le sigh... If only I'd gotten my letter.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Yeah there is a part in HBP about that. I think it's in one of the memories... hmmm Otherwise wouldn't Harry have taken up the offer straight away? (apart from the whole protective spell thing... but yeah you get my point...)

I assume there is a choice as to techers taying there. I mean, look at Snape, he has his own house and was there during the holidays in HBP. To be honest I can't imagine Snape would want to stick around at Hogwarts for as long as he had to. On the other hand Trelawney says in OOTP that Hogwarts is her home. So supposedly she doesn't live anywhere else as she seems to have everything with her and looks to be quite worried that she won't have anywhere else to go. I think it would be how the other teachers feel about Hogwarts or if they have anywhere else to go or yeah, if they get fed up and want a change of scenery...

The mess you left
    Will end
    See you at the bitter end

|| Dean's Corner ||

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I don't think Dumbledore would let Trelawney leave, certainly not once Voldemort has returned in GoF.

I think you have a good case for saying that the staff can come and go as they please.I imagine that Dumbledore lives there. I hadn't thought about Snape being at Spinners End, but I don't think he lived there during the holidays, because he hated his childhood home. In HBP he's resumed his spy role, so would use his house as a base, but he was always happiest at Hogwarts (as were Harry and Voldemort).

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

apollo13
    It's actually in CoS we see Riddle asking Dippet if he can stay over the summer.

I think maybe a few teachers stay over during the summer like Trelawny, but always have the choice to "go home" if they want to. I always got the impression that Snape hated teaching (or teaching potions at any rate), and probably ended up hating Hogwarts, so he would have been quite eager to go home during the summer.

I think also they could come to the school early, but that's not always the case - because Remus actually came on the train along with all the students, so I think it's really up to the indivdual personalities.

~Evie

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    Not all teachers will stay at Hogwarts during the summer- after all, those who have families will definitely want to meet them.

On a related note, why do you think that the teachers' children are never mentioned in the books? I'm sure not all of them are perfectly celibate...

~BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    Not all teachers will stay at Hogwarts during the summer- after all, those who have families will definitely want to meet them.

On a related note, why do you think that the teachers' children are never mentioned in the books? I'm sure not all of them are perfectly celibate...

~BB
    I suppose it's one of those things that never comes up. In reality we only really know much information about a handful of the teachers and those we happen to know about don't appear to have families (though they could - we just don't know) and there are plenty of others we know absolutely nothing about. But then, that's what we have fanfiction for isn't it - for us to create the backstories and explain the teachers' lives at Hogwarts and outside it.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

leahsm2
    It's actually in CoS we see Riddle asking Dippet if he can stay over the summer.
    Well. I would assume though, that Hagrid was allowed to stay on after he was expelled, and hopefully that would extend to other students as well whose home situations were even more unhealthy than Harry's or Tom's .

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot

~BB

I was thinking about that just after I posted earlier. It would be a bit unnecessary to add that into the books I suppose. Maybe we'll learn a bit more about the professors later but surely if they have families it would be an incentive for them to return home during the summer and perhaps more often than that even.

Some of the teachers seem old enough to have already had families and their children might be old enough to live their own lives whilst seeing their parents occasionally but then, Neville becomes a teacher quite young in comparisson so starting a family would probably be quite hard there too.... hmmm interesting.

But it's another probable reason for them to go home during the summer. Especially if they had young children, it would be hard spending that much time away from then. (Then again, they'd probably get time off wouldn't they...)

Or I suppose, for example it could be possible that Neville could have already had a child and they could be at Hogwarts. Do you think it would effect the child's time there? Or would they simply not bring that fact up too often? Maybe it would depend on which teacher was the 'parent'...

Hmmm... going slightly off-topic I fear but I'm finding it an interesting consept none the less...

The mess you left
    Will end
    See you at the bitter end

|| Dean's Corner ||