Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammar, Capitalisation, Canon issues, etc

Salmantino7
    I was wondering if in a disclaimer for, say a historical fic, should you include anything about real people that may appear in the story. For example, if you're writing about Pablo Picasso as a wizard, do you need to include in the disclaimer that he was a real person and not your invention, or not? I realize this may be a ridiculous question, but please answer! Thanks!

sorrow_of_severus
    I'm not sure that a disclaimer is needed. If it really bothers you, you could put in your author's note, "________ (the person) was real, lived in _________ (country or country and city) from _________ to ________ (years), and was well known for doing _________." Of course, it varies by person. I'm pretty sure we all know that people like Shakespeare or Julius Caesar were real and know the basic facts about their lives.

A.H.
    Also, Harry says 'There's no need to call me "sir", Professor.'

but in America he'd say 'Sir' - is that right?

Carole
    If 'sir' was replacing a proper noun, it would be capitalized. However, if it's pre/proceeding a proper noun, it's not capitalized.

So this:

"I was wondering, Sir, if you could tell me..."

is right, whereas this:

"I was wondering, Professor Dumbledore Sir, if you could tell me..."

is wrong. Same goes for 'ma'am', and also 'mom' and 'dad' (the latter two I didn't know until recently). Generally, if something is replacing a proper noun, it is always capitalized, because said proper noun would be capitalized.

-Ari-

A.H.
    Double posting () with a quick question: Is 'dress robes' capitalized?

Sorry.

-Ari-

EDIT: Thanks, Inverarity. -squeesh-

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.
    Double posting () with a quick question: Is 'dress robes' capitalized?

Sorry.

-Ari-

Not in the American edition, and it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would be capitalized in any context -- they aren't a brand, a proper noun, or a Rowling invention.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    This is the closest place where I can get multiple views on my query:

I'm wondering what you think of the verb 'Marauded'? It's not very common, is it? Ms Word didn't recognise it as a word, and I got an underline. But I opened an online dictionary and it is a verb sure. But what about its use. Do you think it is very redundant?

- Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    Both Wiktionary and Encarta say that "marauded" is the simple past form of "maraud", so I suppose it's probably right.

BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    Hey, guys,

I was wondering, you know when you use a spell's name in your story? Well, do you always have to italicise it? When a person says it directly, yes? What about if it were more like this:

The Avada Kedavra is one of the three unforgivable curses.
    Rubbish example, but is it right? Basically... do you always italicise a spell's name in the text, or are there any exceptions?

-hugs- Thanks in advance!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    Technically, the name of the curse isn't Avada Kedavra, it's the Killing Curse, so it might be a good idea to use that instead...

I've always had it drilled in me by betas and mods that spells have to be italicised, but I'm not really sure.

BB

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    I would agree with BB that most spells have names and it is better to use those (not italicised) than use the incantation to describe the spell. I'm not sure about whether incantations should be italicised when not in direct speech, because I can't think of an example at the moment where the incantation is referred to without it being cast.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.