Quote Originally Posted by welshdevondragon
When you have action interrupting speech, but it is not a dialogue tag, is it capitalised or not?

e.g "I'm going to read," He looked at the shelf and picked a book out, "this novel."

I always thought the "He" was capitalised, but some people say it isn't. So yes, which does MNFF prefer/ which one is grammatically accurate? This may be a British/ American thing but I'm not sure.

obsessed_with_jo is correct; you never capitalize the pronoun following a comma in a situation like that. I would write it pretty much as she did, except that technically you should use an em-dash to indicate an interrupted thought or statement, while ellipses are used to indicate a trailing off or incomplete thought. E.g.,

"I'm going to read --" He looked at the shelf and picked a book out. "-- this novel."

You could also write:

"I'm going to read --" he looked at the shelf and picked a book out. "-- this novel."

There's a very subtle difference in the two sentences above, denoted by the capitalized or non-capitalized pronoun. In the first case, "He looked at the shelf" starts a new sentence, while in the second, it's a continuation of the sentence in which he's speaking, but the em-dash clearly indicates that it's also a break in that sentence. Both are grammatically correct, though in publication, some editors might consider one correct and the other not, depending on their "house style." I've also seen people use semi-colons at the end of the non-speech portion, e.g.,

"I'm going to read --" he looked at the shelf and picked a book out; "-- this novel."

I'm pretty sure this is also grammatically correct.

So the moral is, there isn't always one correct way to write something. That's why there are things like style guides, and vicious debates over the serial comma.