Thread: W.a.d.a.?

Silverah

W.a.d.a.?

Very briefly in The Tales of Beedle the Bard, in a footnote to one of Dumbledore's commentaries, it is written:

Professor Beery eventually left Hogwarts to teach at W.A.D.A. (Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts) where, he once confessed to me, he maintained a strong aversion to mounting performances of this particular story, believing it to be unlucky.
    Is this possibly another school of magic in the UK? What does one learn at a "Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts"? Do they learn regular magic in addition to "Dramatic Arts"? Do wizards and witches have a rich theatrical tradition?

What would they think of Shakespeare?

Theories, anyone?

liquid_silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverah
    Very briefly in The Tales of Beedle the Bard, in a footnote to one of Dumbledore's commentaries, it is written:

Is this possibly another school of magic in the UK? What does one learn at a "Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts"? Do they learn regular magic in addition to "Dramatic Arts"? Do wizards and witches have a rich theatrical tradition?

What would they think of Shakespeare?

Theories, anyone?
    I would assume that the WADA is one of two things:

1) An alternative to Hogwarts (or, if it's not located in Europe, whatever the witchcraft/wizardry school is in that country), in which case it would teach basic magical skills but have a wide array of theatre-related electives;

or 2) A secondary school to Hogwarts, like, a kind of collegey type of school, in which case it would focus entirely on the theatrical arts. I know JKR said that there aren't any "wizard universities," but that doesn't mean that there are no schools existing to further a witch or wizard's talents in a particular field.

We haven't seen much of wizard culture in the books, but they (especially FBaWtFT, QTtA. and ToBtB) hint toward a thriving culture of theatre, music, and literature. I would imagine that wizards indeed have a very rich theatrical tradition, although I don't imagine Muggle plays would garner much respect in the wizarding world, as too many witches and wizards hold disdain for Muggles.

Just my thoughts. =-]

Halgy
    I would think that it is a post-secondary (college) type of school. Also, I think it was a throw away reference so J.K.R. could make a Macbeth reference, since 'that Scottish play' is supposedly bad luck too.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    R.A.D.A based in London is a drama school (Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts). It's for pupils of University age upwards.

I think WADA must be a wizarding equivalent so it's basically a drama school. They'd also offer stage management type courses which could be brilliant for exceptional Transfiguration students.

I love the idea of WADA - after all not every Hogwarts Student is going to become a Healer or Auror. They need their dramatic arts as wel.

Carole (who would have loved to go to R.A.D.A.....)

PS- Shakespeare - far too talented a wordsmith to be a Muggle.....

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye