Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Albus Dumbledore

SlytherinTears
    Hm. Good point. He can offer her full protection from Death Eaters and since she is spying on Harry, it would allow her to continue her job. Hmm.

Amber0_o
    Well, some interesting news from Mugglenet: Jo says that Dumbledore was gay, and he was in love with Grindelwald.

(Is this totally out of left field for anyone else? Could she have at least hinted at this?)

The good ship Minerva/Albus has sunk.

Simply Being
    I agree Amber! I feel completely blindsighted and betrayed. I swear, when I was reading the post I was waiting for it to say "This is all a joke".

I mean, I'll say right now that I have absolutely nothing against a gay character in the Harry Potter series. But Dumbledore?! It just doesn't work for me. And was it just my imagination or were there many Minerva/Albus hints? And no indication at all of Dumbledore being gay?

Does anyone else feel the same way?

jenny b
    Dumbledore is gay. Dumbledore is gay. I can't believe it! I don't want to believe it!

[Post deleted by moderator]

Back to the topic, I agree with meryal about finding Rosaline's weakness. Dumbledore seems to be a very persuasive person, and I think that he could probably get almost anyone to take a job.

Beth: 5 points docked from Hufflepuff for rudeness - docked

Amber0_o
    Really, I'm suprised that Jo 'apparently' didn't think this was important.

"If I had known this would have made you so happy, I would have told you years ago."

As if she honestly didn't think that people would be interested in this. (Sometimes I wonder about her...) I mean, it just seems like this would have been something important to include in Dumbledore's backstory, as I think it changes some dynamics of the plot, at least in terms of character motive.

The only reason I can think of her keeping it out of the books is to keep off a touchy subject, but then why release the information in an interview?

harrypotterfangirl21
    I have trouble believing this rumour for several reasons... can someone post a link or something for me? (I'm like Hermione. I don't believe it 'till I see it.)

If it's true, never saw THAT one coming!

- Katie

EDIT: Thanks, cmwinters! Why do I get the feeling that MNFF is going to have to add a Dumbledore/Grindlewald section now?

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryPotterfangirl21
    [color="DarkRed']can someone post a link or something for me? (I'm like Hermione. I don't believe it 'till I see it.)[/color]
    http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/20...d-scores-more#

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyBeing
    I feel completely blindsighted and betrayed. I swear, when I was reading the post I was waiting for it to say "This is all a joke".

I mean, I'll say right now that I have absolutely nothing against a gay character in the Harry Potter series. But Dumbledore?! It just doesn't work for me
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyb
    Dumbledore is gay. Dumbledore is gay. I can't believe it! I don't want to believe it!

WRONG. Wrong on so many levels.

I can't believe Jo would do that! It's Dumbledore. I've just always thought he was a little flamboyant, and cared too much about his school and the students to fall in love. It's so out of the blue. No hints at all.
    "Betrayed"?

"Wrong"?

. . . .

It's one thing to say it's out of left field and random, which I agree with, and honestly a lot of what she's said after DH has come out has been very random. Neville Longbottom living over a pub is random. She changed her mind about Ron's profession, forgot Hermione's middle name, yadda yadda. However, it's another thing entirely to say it's "wrong".

Morkhan
    Oh man, I can't believe it. We FINALLY get some canon slash in the HP series and it's with the one guy that no one (okay well, very few people) suspected. Plus, it's going to be crazy hard to imagine Dumbledore as anything but an old man, and old man slash =/= hotness.

*ahem*

BUT, this does cast Dumbledore in a bit of a new light. Not only did he buy into Grindelwald's way of thinking because he was an equal and a friend, but because Dumbledore was basically over the moon for the boy. Now, keep in mind that she said Dumbledore was in love with Grindelwald: she did NOT say that Grindelwald returned or was even aware of his feelings. Unrequited love and crushing on someone can have a very interesting psychological effect on a person. Believe me, I should know. And it's also extremely interesting how Dumbledore still believes so strongly in the power of love, when that incident turned out so horrifically bad for him. Maybe he found someone else?

cmwinters
    Quote Originally Posted by Morkhan
    BUT, this does cast Dumbledore in a bit of a new light. Not only did he buy into Grindelwald's way of thinking because he was an equal and a friend, but because Dumbledore was basically over the moon for the boy. Now, keep in mind that she said Dumbledore was in love with Grindelwald: she did NOT say that Grindelwald returned or was even aware of his feelings. Unrequited love and crushing on someone can have a very interesting psychological effect on a person. Believe me, I should know. And it's also extremely interesting how Dumbledore still believes so strongly in the power of love, when that incident turned out so horrifically bad for him. Maybe he found someone else?

It also makes me wonder why he was such an unmitigiated jerk to Snape.

Morkhan
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwinters
    It also makes me wonder why he was such an unmitigiated jerk to Snape.
    Taking out his sexual frustrations on him? Besides, we all know Snape likes it rough.

Beth: It's one thing to dislike slash. It's another to show condescension toward it. 5 points docked from Gryffindor for rudeness. - docked