Thread: Hogwarts Express

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills

Hogwarts Express

My question is regarding the Hogwarts Express.

It is the Hogwarts Express, so do you think it runs only eight times a year back and forth transporting Hogwarts students, on Easter, beginning of the school year, end of year, and Christmas?

Is it likely that it could take the average train commuters as well, travelling say between Hogsmeade and London in February or October?

Appreciate the response -

- Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot Patronus
    My question is regarding the Hogwarts Express.

It is the Hogwarts Express, so do you think it runs only eight times a year back and forth transporting Hogwarts students, on Easter, beginning of the school year, end of year, and Christmas?

Is it likely that it could take the average train commuters as well, travelling say between Hogsmeade and London in February or October?

Appreciate the response -

- Akay
    Personally, I don't really see much need for a London-Hogsmeade train. There are lots of cheaper and faster means of transportation, such as Apparation, Portkeys, the Floo network, the Knight Bus, etc. I don't think there would be much demand for a train, since it seems to me to be just a Hogwarts tradition.

Tim the Enchanter

x_GinnyPotter_x
    Hello Akay

I agree with Tim. I'm sure there would be plenty of other means of travel for wizards to get to Hogsmeade that are easier and faster than the train. Also since the train is so large, I doubt it would be reasonable for it to carry a few passengers for several hours to Hogsmeade for a shopping visit. I don't see Hogsmeade as a bustling city that hundereds of people from London travel to on a daily basis. The train seems to be a Hogwarts tradition and the most effective way to trasport hundreds of students at a time, but wouldn't make much sense for any other purpose. (As you said, it is the Hogwarts Express)

Just my two knuts
    --Kayla

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    The train seems to be a Hogwarts tradition and the most effective way to trasport hundreds of students at a time, but wouldn't make much sense for any other purpose. (As you said, it is the Hogwarts Express)
    Agreed. Not to mention there fair amount of Muggleborns that need to be taken to the school as well. No need to overwhelm them all at once. Give them something that is somewhat familiar.

Besides, can you imagine the chaos that would insue with hundreds of parents just dropping their children at the gates of the schoo and then vanishing?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    The train runs the students to and from the school. So, September and June, that is two trips and then Christmas and Easter is two trips.

So, that would make 4 roundtrips though why it doesn't stay in Hogsmeade between drop off and pick ups, I have no idea, but it doesn't as evidenced when Harry was attacked by Malfoy in HBP.

As far as regular trains going to Hogsmeade, you need to remember Hogsmeade is the only entirely wizarding village in Britain. I don't see any need for a Muggle train to service it.

Also, I think the tracks used by the Hogwarts Express are more than likely magical and can't be seen or used by Muggles.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House