Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger - Part II

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    She started out working in the Ministry Department for the Regulation anf Control of Magical Creatures to help gain rights for house-elfs, werewolves, and other creatures. But by the time Rose went to Hogwarts, she was working a very high-up position in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, despite her words in DH.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

emck
    You're like, the most helpful person in the world, you realise that? Thank you sooo much!

Department of Magical Law Enforcement? What exactly is that, or don't we know?

Sorry, it's nearly one-thirty and I'm meant to be sleeping. Anyways...so we don't really know exactly what she was doing do we? I think that she'd probably have kept her interest in Magical Creatures and all of that, but that's just me.

That made no sense at all, but whatever.

Also, what other careers do you think would be plausible for her to pursue, if I choose to just ignore cannon? (And is it canon or cannon? Does it make a difference?)

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    According to JK Rowling (Bloomsbury on line chat 2007) Hermione returns to Hogwarts for her seventh year (unlike Harry and Ron) then starts working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. She later moves to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement ehre she ensures the eradication of pro-pureblood laws.

Basically we see here the two areas of Hermione's life that are important to her. With SPEW she showed she was a champion for house-elves. She's also a passionate advocate for werewolves, half-giants like Hagrid and also centaurs (although they don't seem to want her help). With a move to Law Enforcement, she can move to her other bugbear which is the way Muggleborns are perceived as inferior.

If you don't want to follow canon then you need to find something that would both interest her, and be something she'd get passionate about. She would want to use her intelligence at all times. I think, for instance, that Muggle Liaison would bore her. She'd do a good job but it wouldn't stretch her.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    What Hermione's career would be within the Department of Magical Law Enforcement would be the equivilant of being the District Attorney of the wizarding world, or the next level down. I'm not sure what they are called in Britain, though, but I feel like this is what her career would be.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

emck
    I'm pretty sure they're like, barristers or something. Then again, my entire knowledge of the British legal system comes from watching Judge John Deed with my mother. So it's not exactly comprehensive...guess that's why they invented Wikipedia.

I think, though, that you've got the right kind of idea - sort of like lawyers for witches and wizards. I mean, it's not that much of a stretch going from Magical Law Enforcement to Magical Law. I was also wondering, do you think that she'd use her position in the Magical Law Enforcement to continue her work with Magical Creatures? Sort of like animal rights activists and environmental lawyers?

Bine: 3 points from Slytherin for not following posting rules.

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by emck
    Department of Magical Law Enforcement? What exactly is that, or don't we know?
    It's sort of the wizarding equivalent to the police, if my memory serves me correctly. They are the main governing body that supervises both the Auror Department and the Wizengamot, so they're basically the police, as well as the judiciary branch of magical government. The Harry Potter Lexicon has more information.
    http://www.hp-lexicon.org/ministry/m...aw_Enforcement

Sorry, it's nearly one-thirty and I'm meant to be sleeping.
    Australia?

Anyways...so we don't really know exactly what she was doing do we? I think that she'd probably have kept her interest in Magical Creatures and all of that, but that's just me.
    I doubt, with Hermione's lack of confidence in her DADA skills, that she would assume a field role in the MLE, instead favouring something on the lines of an organiser or lab technician, possibly a solicitor (I think that's the Brit term for 'lawyer').

That made no sense at all, but whatever.
    I think I follow you.

Also, what other careers do you think would be plausible for her to pursue, if I choose to just ignore cannon?
    She could work for a publishing company, which would go along with her love of reading and of books. She could also do touring speeches as the head of S.P.E.W., speaking out against injustice on behalf of house elves, as well as other much-maligned magical creatures, like centaurs, vampires, goblins, and maybe even giants. I could also picture her taking a teaching position at Hogwarts, which would definitely make good use of her 'insufferable little know-it-all'ism.

And is it canon or cannon? Does it make a difference?
    Canon is established fact, which in this example refers to the Potterverse. 'Cannon' is a projectile weapon. And yes, that was my pitiful attempt at humour.

I was also wondering, do you think that she'd use her position in the Magical Law Enforcement to continue her work with Magical Creatures? Sort of like animal rights activists and environmental lawyers?
    I think it's not only likely, but probable. She was willing to browbeat her friends into joining S.P.E.W. and try to force elves into freedom by planting garments for them to find, so using her position in government to further her cause would not be above her.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    Canon is established fact, which in this example refers to the Potterverse. 'Cannon' is a projectile weapon. And yes, that was my pitiful attempt at humour.
    Although on MNFF, we are canon-sticklers, and anyone who reviates will be delt with with the 'cannon'.

Ha ha!

Brand New Story!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess. I'm not typing your long sign on name out.
    possibly a solicitor (I think that's the Brit term for 'lawyer').
    A lawyer in UK is 'someone who practises the law - especially a solicitor (according to my dictionary.) A solicitor is the one that works in the office, speaks to prisoners when they're first arrested etc etc. The person who talks a lot in court is someone we call a barrister. Just in case that helps at all. I can imagine Hermione being pretty good at both. She's a powerful advocate and she'll happily do the donkey work/research.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

'Til the end of the line Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole
    Originally Posted by Jess. I'm not typing your long sign on name out.
    Lol, I wouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Carole
    A lawyer in UK is 'someone who practises the law - especially a solicitor (according to my dictionary.) A solicitor is the one that works in the office, speaks to prisoners when they're first arrested etc etc. The person who talks a lot in court is someone we call a barrister. Just in case that helps at all. I can imagine Hermione being pretty good at both. She's a powerful advocate and she'll happily do the donkey work/research.
    Godric's galloping graphorns, that's a lot of bureaucracy. I think a barrister would be a paralegal in the US (the law research ferrets).

Somehow, I don't think that Hermione would stay at a lower level position (which sounds like the solicitor) for long, mostly due to her drive for excellence. She does have a propensity for talking a lot, so I believe being a Barrister would be her most likely position, though I do see her doing her own ferret work or at least hovering over her solicitor's shoulder, making sure (s)he is doing acceptable work, or at least to Hermione Granger standards.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

Gorgeous banner by Dinny / Evora.

emck
    Hmm...from what you've told me, and what Wikipedia can teach me, I can imagine Hermione more as a barrister than a solicitor. I think maybe she'd sort of start out working as a solicitory-type-thing, but would eventually end up as a barrister or perhaps even joining the Wizenagamot. Or does that sound stupid?

Thank you all so much for your help (and explainingthe difference between cannon and canon...)

Oh, yes, and I'm from Australia...

Bine: 1 point from Slytherin for not following posting rules.