Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger - Part II

MadEyeMaddy
    Ok. I'm writing a story on MNFF right now (I Think This Love is Altering my Brain) and the 2nd chapter has been rejected a bunch of times because I write Hermione a little bit too OOC. See, in this chapter, I have Hermione written as waaaaay too girly, but that's what the scene calls for.

The situation? This IS a Ron/Hermione, but the problem is this girl, Avril, (see my OC thread) is trying to get in the way of their relationship. (she approaches Hermione mysteriously in the library, and at the end of Chp2 she's talking to Ron in the hallway) It's written first person from R/Hr POV, and I always end up writing Hermione as a whiny, complainy, girly-girl. Hermione is trying to hide her feelings for Ron, and when Ron fulfilled his dare to ask her to Hogsmeade, Hermione made a comment that they should go as friends. So now she is trying to pretend like she doesn't love him when she really does. All these emotions sounds naggy when I write them .

I just need some general help. Thanks for bothering to read my long rambles!

Any help/advice? PM me or reply post. Thanks a ton

--Maddy

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Right,

Well, what i really think you should do is to post some examples in the Excerpts of Murtlap thread, where you could get some specific help on the section.

However, as you're here, I would suggest losing a lot of Hermione's speech by having her think them instead. She speaks very clearly and directly, most of the time, and only appears to get flustered when it's an intellectual problem bugging her (at least in school). Even when Ron is with Lavender, she only loses her cool once (the Opugno incident), and that's when she's incredibly upset and feels humiliated. She either ignores, or makes slightly snide comments, but she doesn't whine.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

MorganRay
    What do you think she would complain about most during her pregnancies?
    I can see post-pardum depression as being something Hermione might have to endure. There are also about a thousand unpleasant qualities of pregnancy, and mood swings -- while they are there -- are not the things I've heard most women complain about during pregnancy. I would say the general body changes are enough to really get to most women, but Hermione isn't particularly vain, so she might not care as much about getting bigger. Morning sickness seemed to be the bane of existance for my one teacher when she got pregnant. Here is a list of common pregnancy symptoms:

First Trimester: Weeks 1-12
    • Your period stops or becomes very light.
    • You may feel nausea or queasiness. Some women vomit. ("Morning sickness" can happen any time of day -- it may help to eat small meals throughout the day, snack on crackers or toast, or drink juice or lemonade.)
    • Your breasts swell and may be tender.
    • Your nipples and the area around the nipples (areola) get darker and broader.
    • You have to urinate more often.
    • You feel tired.
    • You may become constipated and have heartburn (Tums may help).
    • You may have headaches.
    • You experience mood swings -- feel angry, sad, or happy for no reason.

Second Trimester: Weeks 13-26
    • You gain weight.
    • You can feel the fetus moving.
    • The skin on your stomach stretches and may get dry. (Use lotion to lessen the chance of stretch marks.)
    • Your breasts get bigger. It helps to wear a supportive bra.
    • A small amount of thin fluid (called colostrum) may come out of your nipples.
    • You may experience ongoing heartburn, indigestion, and constipation.
    • You may get nosebleeds.
    • Your feet, hands, ankles and face may swell (this is called edema).
    • A dark line develops on your skin between your navel and your pubic area.
    • A "mask" or darker area or pigmentation may develop on your face. (It disappears after the pregnancy ends.)
    • You may begin to develop varicose veins.

Third Trimester: Weeks 27-40
    • You can see the fetus move from the outside.
    • Your navel pushes out.
    • You begin to get backaches.
    • You begin to walk differently to accommodate the weight of the fetus.
    • You experience painless "practice" contractions.
    • You have shortness of breath.

These lists are very general, but I can see Hermione having problems with any stage of the pregnancy that might detract her from working or living a normal life with her friends. If Hermione got headaches, I think she would be upset because she couldn't read or do her work; her anger at not being able to control her mind could then maybe trigger a mood swing.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I've been asking questions on the Being British thread, but this seems like a place to ask this question as well. I need a primary school competition for Hermione to enter and win for a scene in a story I am writing, preferably one that is scholasic in nature.

What do you think are some contests or awards that Hermione could win?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Ultimate Chess
    Hermione could win any number of contests in spelling, math, or science, but I would say that I could most see her winning some kind of essay writing competition, especially since she always writes more than is required and helps Harry and Ron with their own as well.
    Lea

♥♥♥♥Stunning banner and zechadingly cool avvie by the amazing Gmariam! Thanks Gina!♥♥♥♥

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Yeah, but what I need is something that would be specifically British since I have recently learned that British schools do not have spelling bees. That is what I mean.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Double posting because I have additional questions on the subject of Hermione Granger.

I need to come up with a few instances of accidental magic that Hermione would have had as a child before getting her letter to Hogwarts letter? How do you think her parents might have reacted to such instances? How do you think Hermione would have reacted?

Brand New Story!

Queen of Foals Slytherin
    Unspeakable
    He sent his own Son to the Dementors?
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I need to come up with a few instances of accidental magic that Hermione would have had as a child before getting her letter to Hogwarts letter? How do you think her parents might have reacted to such instances? How do you think Hermione would have reacted?
    Hm, well her parents were dentists so I was thinking maybe Hermione got some fillings when she was younger and she HATED them so much that they popped out the next day. A little like how Harry's hair grew back after Petunia cut it.

And perhaps something to do with books. How about Hermione has borrowed some books from the library and she keeps on rereading them. Her mother keeps on hassling her about how they are overdue and then somehow the date on the stamp inside the book cover changes so they aren't overdue anymore? Hm, that sounds terribly confusing. Hope I didn't lose you there.

I think her parents would try to explain the strange occurrences through rational means. As I said before they are dentists so they've probably studied science and stuff at uni. So it would be like, "We don't know how and why this is happening but there must be some sort of rational explanation that we're missing." I'm not implying that everyone who studies science at uni is all 'everything must have a rational explanation'. I'm a pharmacology major and I'm not really like that so I hope I don't offend anyone

I think Hermione would react in a shocked yet curious way. She would want to know exactly why this is happening. I imagine her going to the local/school library and researching magic and things like physics to see if there is anyway to explain what is happening. She is very astute and would not let these happenings to be left unexplained. I seem to remember her saying in PS that she wasn't surprised when the letter from Hogwarts came so I imagine she had some sort of inkling. I could be wrong and I don't have my copy near me at the moment so I can't check. I imagine her reaction may be similar to what I described as her parents reactions but since she is a young child then things like magic seem much more possible than to an adult.

Hope that helps!

Banner by me. Icon from toreadabook on lj.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    It is a very well-known fact that Hermione spent her career as a champion for the rights of magical creature: particularily house-elves and wherewolves. But what are some other creatures you see as being possible that she would advocate for and what do you think she would have done to make their lives better in the wizarding world?

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    It is a very well-known fact that Hermione spent her career as a champion for the rights of magical creature: particularily house-elves and wherewolves. But what are some other creatures you see as being possible that she would advocate for and what do you think she would have done to make their lives better in the wizarding world?
    What about goblins? I think she'd might pick up a goblin liberation cause or something like that, to make them more accepted in the wizarding world, and allow them equal rights, that sort of thing.

Tim the Enchanter