Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hermione Granger - Part II

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Ooh yes, them Goblins are only mean because they are mistreated! I can see Hermione take that approach. Definitely centaurs too. "half breeds" in general.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Yeah, I agree that she would particularly fight for the rights of half breeds. Other than Hermione being, well, Hermione, I think, also, that what happened in OP when Umbridge calls the centaurs 'dirty half breeds' or something. I haven't read the book in ages and don't own it so I am not entirely sure exactly what happened, I am just going by the movie.

For some reason, even though I believe Hermione would fight for the rights of all magical creatures, I feel like she would be hesitant with Goblins. After what happened in DH with Griphook, I think she would feel really sorry for the Goblin for tricking him (even though it wasn't really her tricking him) but would almost want to stay away from the creatures. I also think that, if Hermione did try to help them, they would get annoyed at her for it, which would also make her hesitant.

I am thinking of Mermaids for some reason. Do they have any rights? They live underwater so you would think that they wouldn't have much contact with humans anyway, but I am a little curious as to what rights the Mermaids do have and if anything occurred in the past between Wizards and Mermaids. Lastly, how do you think Dumbledore learnt how to speak Mermish?

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

ahattab33
    For some reason, even though I believe Hermione would fight for the rights of all magical creatures, I feel like she would be hesitant with Goblins. After what happened in DH with Griphook, I think she would feel really sorry for the Goblin for tricking him (even though it wasn't really her tricking him) but would almost want to stay away from the creatures. I also think that, if Hermione did try to help them, they would get annoyed at her for it, which would also make her hesitant.
    I think after her encounter with Griphook, she'd be more inclined to help the Goblins. She made it clear that she believed Goblins acted the way they did because wizards acted the way they did. It would reason that Hermione would go about trying to change wizard thinking in the hopes of choosing wizard and Goblin relations, and Hermione's probably realized how important that is due to the importance of the Goblin position in wizarding society (over Gringott's).

She protests fiercely to Griphook about standing up for the rights of Goblins:

Deathly Hallows, page 488-489, American Version:

"As the Dark Lord becomes ever more powerful, your race is set still more firmly above mine! Gringotts falls under Wizarding rule, house-elves are slaughtered, and who amongst the wand-carriers protests?"

"We do!" said Hermione. She had sat up straight, her eyes bright. "We protest! And I'm hunted as much as any goblin or elf, Griphook! I'm a Mudblood!"
    And during the argument about Griphook's request for the sword of Gryffindor:

Deathly Hallows, American version:

page 506: "Goblins have got good reason to dislike wizards, Ron," said Hermione. "They've been treated brutally in the past."

page 507: "That," she said quietly, "is despicable. Ask for his help, then double-cross him? And you wonder why goblins don't like wizards, Ron?"
    I do understand that she didn't really much like Griphook personally, as Harry talks about him being "blood-thirsty" and "laughing at the pain of other creatures", but due to her previous converstations, I think that it would be almost something like her view on house-elves: due to how they've been treated by wizards, how else would you expect them to act?

~Amanda

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Yeah I do see what you mean about the Goblins, I don't know why I think that Hermione would stay away from the Goblins. I will elaborate a little though. I think that Hermione, of course, would help any magical creature on the planet whether she liked them or not, however, for some (weird) reason, I seem to see her helping the Goblins and then retreating from them a little. I think I'm just weird. haha.

~ Annalise x

P.S. I really am interested about the Mermaids as well, though. Would they need to be helped in any way?

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    In one of the books (and I can't remember which,) Ron asks if she's going to start a society for Gobins as well as house elves, and Hermione replies that Goblins are capable of looking after themselves.

Goblins would require a completely different approach than elves, and Hermione would know that, she's not stupid. Goblins are a lot cleverer than elves, and would not take kindly to being 'nannied' or being talked down to, the way house-elves are. Also, I think she'd enounter even more opposition with Goblin rights than elves. I think Goblins would want revenge and be incredibly willing to double-cross wizards at any opportunity if they were given equal rights, just to get their own back on the people who oppressed them for so long. Hermione would be weary of this, however much she dislikes the idea, especially after the incident with Griphook in DH.

I can see her working on Werewolf rights, though. Can anyone else?

Regarding Mermaids, I don't think they'd suffer too much, to be honest. They live underwater, and what do wizards want with things underwater? They enslave elves for someone to do their cooking and cleaning, oppress Goblins because they could well turn out to be cleverer than them, and are prejudice against werewolves because once a month, they're dangerous. Mermaids just don't have anything that wizards would want. Perhaps if they found a way to survive and set up colonies underwater, or took to mining under the sea bed, they would do, but I can't see it now.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    I don't mean to change the subject, but wondered if I might throw out another question about Hermione for consideration. In DH, Harry concludes that the reason she is so freaked out by the idea of the resurrection stone is that the idea scares her. The text says that Harry figures this out after she looks over at Ron while they are discussing it. I guess my question is: what do you think it is about this that so frightens her? She knows Harry has seen his parents, even Cedric... and she herself has talked to the Hogwarts ghosts. I'm just curious. And on a slightly different note, I think it is is interesting that her fear clicks with Harry when he notices her look over at Ron in the middle of the discussion. What do you think this means? That she was seeking an answer from him? It doesn't seem that way. Or maybe that she sort of looks to Ron when she is afraid? Not sure... kind of wish Harry could just tell me what he was thinking. Just trying to figure out bits of her character here. Thanks!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I still find myself needing a few ideas for potential acts of accidental magic that Hermione could have performed as a child before getting her Hogwarts letter. And to make it better, if you could include a few ideas of how her parents might have explained the situation away.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    In DH, Harry concludes that the reason she is so freaked out by the idea of the resurrection stone is that the idea scares her. The text says that Harry figures this out after she looks over at Ron while they are discussing it. I guess my question is: what do you think it is about this that so frightens her? She knows Harry has seen his parents, even Cedric... and she herself has talked to the Hogwarts ghosts. I'm just curious.
    I don't think it's ghosts that scare her particularly, but the fact that someone could need them and start to rely on them too much. Harry is talking about bringing Dumbledore or Sirius back, and Hermione is very sure that they are dead and that once you're dead - that's it. Ghosts are different because they've chosen not to 'pass on'. She's also thinking about the second Peverell brother. He summoned his girlfriend back but neither were happy and he ended up committing suicide.

I think she looks to Ron because their reactions to this are similar. If you think back to OOTP when they encounter the Veil, Hermione and Ron aren't affected by it and can't hear voices. Luna can hear voices, Neville and Ginny don't say anything but are disturbed by the Veil. Ron and Hermione have different reactions to the others either because they haven't experienced anything very horrific or because they don't have the same imagination as the others.

Hope some of that made sense.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Finest Firewhisky
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I still find myself needing a few ideas for potential acts of accidental magic that Hermione could have performed as a child before getting her Hogwarts letter. And to make it better, if you could include a few ideas of how her parents might have explained the situation away.

Overall I think it would be a good idea to contrast her upbringing with Harry's, whos early magic comes as a result of getting out of very tough situations. Hermione's upbringing isn't like that, her parents appear to be two of the most patient, understanding people on the planet.

The obvious thing would be breakages and the like, when she was angry or scared, but it might be more interesting to see what the young Herminone might do given her talent. You could do a few positive things like Hermione accidentally dropping something like a glass or cup, and then willing it back together; or burning a batch of fairy cakes before magically reversing it.

Going down the road of Hermione being talented, you can have her try and gain, in Dumbledore's words, "an unusual level of control over her powers". I can see her sitting and practising some childish, wandless magic for hours at a time (Roald Dahl's Matilda comes to mind). Using the previous example, she could be shocked the first time, and then try to do it again several times. This could also include her parents - I'm seeing her mother walk in and demand to know why she dropped a glass on the floor on purpose.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    After Hermione's children are born, what sort of mother do you see her being? Geven what we know about her personality and the roles models she has in terms of being a mother, what could be some of your advice and insight?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!