Thread: LATIN Language Help II

Hybrid View

padfoot_returns

LATIN Language Help II

In the Harry Potter world, Latin is used a lot. Here is a thread to ask questions about Latin

Here is the link to the old thread.

And here are the last few posts:

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I need help with a translation for a spell I am creating, but I'm not going to trust the online translators with this one.

What I need traslated is 'shift to', as in 'shift to the left' or 'shift to the top'.

Does anyone know the Latin phrase for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Black-Sand
    G'day

How do you say 'Moon' or 'Full moon'?

As well as the phrases. 'It was so much fun.' and 'I met my mothers twin'?

Thank you
    ...xXxLove SandyxXx...
    Quote Originally Posted by lily_evans34
    Moon: luna.
    Full moon: luna plena.

I met my mother's twin: geminum matris meis obivi.

I'd get another opinion on that - there's more than one word for 'to meet'. I think 'obire' is most applicable, though.

I really don't know how to translate the other one. Sorry. >.<
    Carry on

xxRiham

Amanda Vega
    So I'm a Latin person myself, but I'd just like to double-check on the correctness of this extremely pieced-together translation:

illi qui peccant.

I won't say what it means in the hope that not telling will make y'all reveal whether or not it makes sense, because I'm not so sure - I've never done a translation like this one before!

Oh, and Molly:

That's a trickier one! In some cases, amoveo can mean shift, although it's more common as remove or move away. Admoveo is probably your best bet, though - it has the 'to' built inside it, and translates, roughly, as 'to move to ___.' Not quite the same, but easier to deal with. Then, add an accusative.

Problem being, not every word is going to work that way. For example, as far as I know, the only way to say 'left' as in the left side of something, in Latin, is an adjective - there isn't really a noun form (note: the word is 'sinister,' basically - left handed people were historically considered to be evil, which gives us the common usage of the word). That... doesn't really work.
    Latin people, correct me if I'm wrong!

For '(I) move (shift) to the top,' however, well, that's easier!
    It would be admoveo cacumen or admoveo culmen; both are acceptable as far as I know.

Since you're creating a spell, though, I'd just use 'admoveo' and be done with it - then have the spellcaster use a wand to direct whatever is shifting to where it should be.
    Sorry if that just complicated things more!

Oh, and yeah, luna plena is full moon. We learn about WEREWOLVES in my Latin class!

-- Amanda

GotBooks
    -is a first-year Latin student herself-

Using my moderately super skills of deduction, in "illi qui peccant," illi means "for that" (ille + dative), qui means "who" (I am not sure about this one...) and peccant means "they are stumbling/sinning."

So, illi qui peccant is a phrase reffering to someone who people are stumbling or sinning for.

-Books, out!-

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    *knock knock* Are there any Latin speakers still around? I'd like to write a spell, and while I can throw some Latin words together from the dictionary, I'd love to get the context and grammar correct. . .

Cast my fate.
    Iacio mei fortuna?
    Iacio mei fatum?

Is that even close? I have no idea how to conjugate the verb, or use the possesive pronoun. . .

Thanks!
    ~Gina

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

What are you trying to say?

It depends a lot on that. I think you messed up with gender a bit; it should be "mea fortuna". But then I am very tired right now... Just say what you were trying to say, I'll post after sleep.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    The spell is 'Cast my fate.' 'Cast' as in 'show.' It's a male character casting the spell, if that helps.
    Thanks!!
    ~Gina

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Do you mean it as in "I cast my fate" or "Cast my fate!"? If it is the latter, it has to be an imperative, and imperative singular of iacere is "iace"

The trouble I'm having right now as a non-native speaker of English is that I don't quite know whether iacere is the right word here. Maybe ostendere (imp: ostende) would be better here, as it means "reveal". Aperire (imp: aperi) could work to.

Ostende mea fortuna

I'm not sure whether it's Ablative or Accusative (sp?) here. Ablative is the above. Else it would be

Ostende meam fortunam

but that sounds weird to me.

or you could also use

Ostende meum fatum

but fatum is more of a negative word. Like... if your character wants to know how they're going to die or something like that.

I hope I could help, and sorry for being so stupid earlier, I had just woken up in the middle of the night, I don't even really remember making that posting now
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey