Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussions - Part One

believerofmajick
    Within the Potterverse it is hard to write a fanfiction with a plot you have in mind with strictly cannon characters. Most people prefer to keep cannon characters cannon and by doing such, OCs are needed to fill the other roles defined by a story.

I feel OCs when developed correctly are a wonderful addition to a story. When working with the Marauder era, in order to completely fill out a story OCs may be needed, because there is really so little information we know about that time. Sometimes it is just good to expand a writer's imagination, also.

All in all, I feel OCs have their place and I thoroughly enjoy them.

Tyran
    OC's...you've got to love them...

Canon characters are so hard to keep on track, because you have so many things you have to stick to, while on OC's you start from basically empty space and build your way up.

For me that's fun, to start out with nothing, and build this amazing character, completley unique...we see Canon Characters all the time, but sometimes, it's the OC's that make the story what it is...I've always created OC's, and I find they're the hardest and the easist...

Cannon Characters already have a skelton, OC's do not.

Cannon Characters already have personaily sometimes Oc's do not.

People can find flaws in both...pro's and cons, I like creating the skeleton, creating the skin, then the brains, then their appearance, and finally their first words...

lisa_lovegood
    I think OC's are fine, as long as they are well written and believable. When i say believable, i mean they have a past and future, faults as well as strengths, and, you guessed it, they are ORIGINAL.

A good reason to have one is to make your story more personal and, well, original.

An autor is just hopping on a bandwagon when the OC simply doesn't need to be there. If they are just going to be in the background, why even bother?

I personally think that the whole point in FF is to place charecters into new situations, and work out how they would react to that. You can put any charecter in any situation, if you plan it well enough. But, if you want a charecter to act in a certain way, OC's can be an easier way to do this.

"Or is it about inventing a new love interest for Harry because the available ones in canon aren't satisfactory?"....well, that could be it, but thats not the point of every OC of being there. Plus, i think that plotline is way overused.

I dont think there CAN be too many OC's...there can bo too many bad ones...

No, OC's do not defeat the point of fanfiction, because (as i said before) it's about putting the HP charecters in new surroundings or situations, so putting an OC wont defeat the point, as long as the writer does have the HP charecters with them.

Lisa xxx

Morwen
    Really it seems as though the purpose of an OC depends on why the author is using them. Self-insert OCs tend to be rather flat because that is the only purpose they serve, while OCs essential to the plot tend to be more developed because if their character is not developed, the plot isn't either.

I usually only use OCs when there is no canon character that will suffice. Like for my "Light in the Darkness" story, my OC was necessary because the story is exploring the idea of Tom Riddle having a daughter, which of course he does not have in canon. But since I've had major writer's block on it and started writing the backstory, it ended up that for her mother I used a character that I'd had difficulties developing for an original story I'm writing. So it may be that some writers use OCs when they need to work on developing an original story's character.

And yes, it probably is just a fad. The amount of Mary-Sues (and Gary-Stues) on some fanfiction sites is quite alarming, and it really does seem like everyone has one. But once the fad passes there will still be some excellent OCs, because sometimes they are necessary.

spottedcat83

OCs and other good things in life...

I like OCs, and I don't suppose there are too many of them. I feel about OCs as I feel about any fiction writing--as long as they are good characters, written well, they're a good thing.

OCs give writers a chance to develop a character from scratch, which is really important, especially if the writer does more than fan fiction. And I think there are many of us who write much more than fan fiction. You have to learn to balance traits, build in strengths and weakenesses, and launch a character as a real person. You have to make them into someone who acts up and refuses to work with you if you try to make him or her do something that's not in their personality. (Ever tried to explain that to a non-writing friend? Had one of those conversations? "I can't get my character to just walk into the store and shout at her boyfriend." "Well, why not? It's your character. You can make her do whatever you want." "Well, no, actually, I can't." Yeah. And your non-writing friend gives you that look. And you mumble something about going to look for your marbles, and you try to mark the incident in your mind so you don't talk about characters to that person ever again.)

In some ways, I almost feel a little guilty if I try to write much that is strictly from the POV of a cannon character. I kind of have a feeling that they, especially Harry, belong to JKR. But that's a "me" thing. I don't think anybody else should have any discomfort using a cannon character. Who knows--maybe in time I'll even get over this and produce a really fantastic fanfic with Harry front and center!

Hmm. Then again, maybe not.

Anyway--I like OCs.

MorganRay

oc

Do I write OC? Yes, I have a couple, but is my story mainly about them? No, there is always a canon character or two in the core of the action. Do they have canon love interests? Rarely. I try to keep my OC's out of love interests. They are overused with the romance area. I only create them as 1) space fillers 2) new, needed elements for a plot, or 3)because no canon character really fills the roll.

I try to do as much canon as possible, so I only create a couple, very well-thoughtout OCs. They are special to me, though, and I try to incorperate them like they belong in the Potterverse. They're not going to be American because I am. They're not going to be beautiful, even though I want to be. They're going to be part of the plot, like they should be. Good OC's are a joy to read though, because the reader gets to learn a lot about a new character and experience an author's creativity.

Too many OC's are created for love interest reasons. Hence, the name 'Mary Sue' and 'Gary Stew' were dubbed. Can they fall in love? Yes, but those stories that are romances focusing soley on OC/ canon character are extremely boring to me. If it's interweaved in a plot story, yes, I'll buy it.

Do I create OC's after myself? No. I did that when I was eleven. I've learned a bit since then.

GringottsVault711
    Someone said something about living vicariously through their OC's. I think that's human nature. I mean, even characters that aren't our own -- we gravitate towards the ones that do things that we want to do, or are living how we want to live. People who watch Star Wars and like the idea of light sabres and Force powers are more likely become Jedi fans. Not simply because it's cool, but because we wish we could do it.

There's a difference between having your characters do what you wish you could do, and purposely writing a character based on yourself.

Siobhan is not me, and I'm not Siobhan. Would I like to manipulate my way into Lucius Malfoy's bed?

No, of course not.

Purplemage
    Someone said something about living vicariously through their OC's.
    This is true, sometimes an author uses a character so they can talk through that character. JK once said that she soemtimes talks through Hermione, but there is a big diference of speaking through a character and inserting yourself on the fic.

Like for expample in my fic, my main character Ariel he started being a lot like me, but I spent time with him. Now we still have a lot in common, but also a lot that sets us apart. What I was trying to say is that sometimes I speak through him.

lolita
    How do you feel about OCs?
    I think OCs are always interesting. Although I'm not often fond of them and usually stick to canon characters in my fics, I always have to remind myself that Harry Potter was JKR's OC. Look where it got her. But then, she also made a world for him, full of other OCs, and that's why we're all here... it's just very interesting to think about.

Or is it about inventing a new love interest for Harry because the available ones in canon aren't satisfactory?
    Personally, I'm not a huge Harry/Ginny shipper, nor Harry/Hermione, and definitely not Harry/Cho, but maybe, since Harry's so glorified, I just don't want to imagine him with anyone. Sometimes, if written very well, I can stand Harry with an OC, but very rarely. If Harry's going to end up with anyone, it should be someone JK's written.

little_kitty
    Well, on the subject of OCs, I've never actually written a fic that has OCs in it. Like, I've had students in my fic that are mentioned in passing, but it's just a name and nothing more. Maybe one or two lines, and that's all the time they have in the spotlight. I think that OCs are fine, though, just as long as we don't overdo it. If a story has a few OCs, I think that it's perfectly okay because JKR has left some questions unanswered, and so I don't see why we can't use an OC to fill in the empty spots. Also, I think it's fine to have canon/Oc ships, because the people that the canon characters encounter in their lives are not limited to the characters who have been listed in the books. When walking in the street, you are bound to come across someone that you have not yet met, but they do exist. So that's where OCs can come into play.

I think that there is a good reason to have an OC is a canon character will not suffice, or if it's a character that we know doesn't exist in the series (e.g. a daughter for Dumbledore, a brother for Hermione, etc.) OCs are okay to use; I don't think that they should be overused, though. What I think is important is for people to tailor OCs to fit the plot. Yes, it's okay to borrow traits that you have and put them on your OC, but don't transfer your entire personality to this character. You have to adjust your OC to complement the plot; you cannot just create an OC and tailor the entire plot around them -- the world does not revolve around your OC; there are other things that need to be taken into consideration.

Does the use of OC defeat the purpose of fan fiction? No, not really. Like I said before, the characters in the books are not the only characters that exist in the wizarding world, or have contact with the wizading world. a few OCs alongside canon characters is just fine. However, I'm not so crazy about the idea of using all OCs and sticking them into a canon setting, like Hogwarts or something. Fan fiction allows you to explore more into the Potterverse, but I personally feel that canon characters should be used as well because it is definite that they belong in the wizarding world, not doubt about it. Too many OCs just kind of make things seem way too far from what we're accustomed to seeing in the HP world. Or at least that's what I think.

Is it a fad? Maybe. I mean, so many people use OCs that some authors may feel that it's an...how should I say it?...kind of an obligation to include OCs. They can certainly enhance a story if they click well with the plot. If they seem like they've been randomly inserted into the fandom, then no, that's not so great. Part of the idea is the 'I-want-to-be-in-the-HP-fandom" notion. And since so many people are using OCs today, it's become a widely acceptable thing, So if peopleare in need of a charcter to fulfill a certain role, instead of thinking what canon character might suffice, they just insert OCs.

--Little Kitty