Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spells for Languages

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Spells for Languages

I'm trying to create a spell for a newspaper, that when cast on it, it can translate into a different language (All the languages are pre-store in the paper itself, but the spell shifts the ink on the paper in order to read in the cast language. It's more of a Transfiguration spell than an actual intelligent spell).

I already have the first part of the spell down, but what I am currently having trouble with is how I will name the different languages for the second part of the spell. I really don't want the spell to go Amoveo Spanish, because it doesn't really make sense. If they know the English word for their own language, why wouldn't they just read the English paper (I assume that their language skills would be good enough given this).

But what should I do? Should I look up in each language what the word is for their own language? That might sound a bit strange. Or does anyone have any ideas for Latin words that could symbolize the word for the language?

I'm anxious to hear people's ideas!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I really don't want the spell to go Amoveo Spanish, because it doesn't really make sense. If they know the English word for their own language, why wouldn't they just read the English paper (I assume that their language skills would be good enough given this).

Why? Knowing one word in a language (like the word for your own language) doesn't imply knowing the language.

But why would you have to use the source language's name? Why couldn't you say Amoveo Espanol to turn it into Spanish?

I don't see how this isn't an intelligent translation spell, though -- if it's "transfiguring" the ink so that everything is written in the new language, it's translating.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I'm trying to create a spell for a newspaper, that when cast on it, it can translate into a different language (All the languages are pre-store in the paper itself, but the spell shifts the ink on the paper in order to read in the cast language. It's more of a Transfiguration spell than an actual intelligent spell).

I already have the first part of the spell down, but what I am currently having trouble with is how I will name the different languages for the second part of the spell. I really don't want the spell to go Amoveo Spanish, because it doesn't really make sense. If they know the English word for their own language, why wouldn't they just read the English paper (I assume that their language skills would be good enough given this).

But what should I do? Should I look up in each language what the word is for their own language? That might sound a bit strange. Or does anyone have any ideas for Latin words that could symbolize the word for the language?

I'm anxious to hear people's ideas!
    You can always use the Latin word for Spanish, which would be "Hispanica." Here's some names of other languages in Latin:

Lingua...

Francogallica (French)
    Italica (Italian)
    Russica (Russian)
    Theodisca (German)
    Graeca (Greek)
    Lusitana (Portuguese)
    Arabica (Arabic)
    Hebraica (Hebrew)
    Sinensis Mandarinica (Mandarin Chinese)
    Iaponica (Japanese)
    Hindica (Hindi)

~~~~~~~

However, I personally think having an omni-lingual newspaper would be ridiculously impractical, since it would need a huge staff of writers and translators, and that would be time consuming and expensive.

I would hold on to the idea of the language spell, but I would change the newspaper to just being a static object in a single language. To translate into, say, Japanese, the reader says "Traferre Iaponica," and the newspaper would translate itself. BUT HERE'S THE CATCH - the quality of the translation depends on how much knowledge the reader has in both languages.

So, let's say that reader speaks fluent Japanese, but not a word of English. He'd do the spell on the newspaper, but absolutely nothing would happen, since he doesn't know the base language.

On the other side of the coin, a fluent English who doesn't know any Japanese would have the same problem - he'd perform the spell, but he can't change it because he doesn't know the language he is translating into.

Or, if you have a fluent Japanese speaker who knows only broken English, the translation spell will be riddled with grammatical errors.

And vice-versa.

Those are just my thoughts.

Tim the Enchanter

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls

Hmm, I'm getting the impression that this is more like a bilingual book that just doesn't happen to show both languages at once.

Perhaps there could be a space in the corner with the name for each each language written in that language, and the reader could poke his wand at the one he wanted and say "translate" in that language? If this multi-lingual newspaper is a public service, it seems like something you'd want to point out for people who may or may not be informed about the spell.

Does that make sense? It might not fit your aesthetic or inspiration, but there's my idea.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Thanks for the list of words, Tim! Maybe the rest of the languages, I can just use the Latin roots of the names.

Hmm, I'm getting the impression that this is more like a bilingual book that just doesn't happen to show both languages at once.
    Exactly! The first part of the spell actually means 'shift', because the ink actually shifts right on the paper so it reads in the other language. I just can't have it as an actual intelligent spell, bcause that seems to go against the laws of magic that J.K. has set up.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Thanks for the list of words, Tim! Maybe the rest of the languages, I can just use the Latin roots of the names.
    No problem. I just looked up various languages on Wikipedia, then switched over to the Latin Wikipedia to get the word for each language.

And here's some more:

Lingua...

Batava (Dutch)
    Bengala (Bengali)
    Armeniace (Armenian)
    Ucrainica (Ukrainian)
    Coreane (Korean)

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Alright then, here is what I have for spells so far.

Amoveo Hispanica (Spanish)
    Amoveo Francogallica (French)
    Amoveo Italica (Italian)
    Amoveo Russica (Russian)
    Amoveo Theodisca (German)
    Amoveo Graeca (Greek)
    Amoveo Lusitana (Portuguese)
    Amoveo Arabica (Arabic)
    Amoveo Hebraica (Hebrew)
    Amoveo Sinensis Mandarinica (Mandarin Chinese)
    Amoveo Iaponica (Japanese)
    Amoveo Hindica (Hindi)
    Amoveo Batava (Dutch)
    Amoveo Bengala (Bengali)
    Amoveo Armeniace (Armenian)
    Amoveo Ucrainica (Ukrainian)
    Amoveo Coreane (Korean)

But here are the languages I still need:
    English
    Danish
    Swedish
    Norwegian
    Finnish
    Romanian
    Swahili
    Vietnamese
    Polish
    Taiwanese
    Tongan
    Icelandic
    Tagalog
    Yiddish
    Urdu
    Hawaiian
    Farsi
    Spoken Papers

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Let's see...

Lingua...

Anglica (English)
    Danica (Danish)
    Suecica (Swedish)
    Finnica (Finnish)
    Dacoromanica (Romanian)
    Vietnamica (Vietnamese)
    Polonica (Polish)
    Tagala (Tagalog)
    Iudaeogermanica (Yiddish)
    Urdu (Urdu)
    Havaiane (Hawaiian)

And for blind people to read the paper, I think a Latin imperative for "Speak" would do nicely.

Good luck with the others!

Oh, and since I don't know Latin, don't trust ANY of these names! Use at your own risk!

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    And here are the new recorded languages, as well as some I have found myself.

Amoveo Hispanica (Spanish)
    Amoveo Francogallica (French)
    Amoveo Italica (Italian)
    Amoveo Russica (Russian)
    Amoveo Theodisca (German)
    Amoveo Graeca (Greek)
    Amoveo Lusitana (Portuguese)
    Amoveo Arabica (Arabic)
    Amoveo Hebraica (Hebrew)
    Amoveo Sinensis Mandarinica (Mandarin Chinese)
    Amoveo Iaponica (Japanese)
    Amoveo Hindica (Hindi)
    Amoveo Batava (Dutch)
    Amoveo Bengala (Bengali)
    Amoveo Armeniace (Armenian)
    Amoveo Ucrainica (Ukrainian)
    Amoveo Coreane (Korean)
    Amoveo Anglica (English)
    Amoveo Danica (Danish)
    Amoveo Suecica (Swedish)
    Amoveo Finnica (Finnish)
    Amoveo Dacoromanica (Romanian)
    Amoveo Vietnamica (Vietnamese)
    Amoveo Polonica (Polish)
    Amoveo Tagala (Tagalog)
    Amoveo Iudaeogermanica (Yiddish)
    Amoveo Urdu (Urdu)
    Amoveo Havaiane (Hawaiian)
    Amoveo Farsi (Farsi)
    Amoveo Tagala (Tagalog)
    Amoveo Orator (Spoken Paper)

Now that I have the languages down, let's move on to the actual physics of the spell.

The way I see it as working is that they languages are already printed on the paper, they just cannot all be show at the same time. The spell shifts the ink across the paper to form the language, depending on which spell is used.

Does this spell sound like it would be possible within the laws of magic, or am I over-reaching? Does anyone else have an imput on some of the physical aspects of the spell?

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Now that I have the languages down, let's move on to the actual physics of the spell.

The way I see it as working is that they languages are already printed on the paper, they just cannot all be show at the same time. The spell shifts the ink across the paper to form the language, depending on which spell is used.

Does this spell sound like it would be possible within the laws of magic, or am I over-reaching? Does anyone else have an imput on some of the physical aspects of the spell?
    This does sound magically plausible - sort of like a complicated Transfiguration spell, but perfectly doable.

However, I do have to question the practicality of such a newspaper. You have at least THIRTY languages present - just think about how many translators you'll have to hire just to publish one article!

Though I think it is possible to print a newspaper in dozens of languages that can be swapped around with a spell, the writing process would be monumentally expensive and time-consuming. I doubt that such a newspaper could be put out within a day of an event because of the huge effort required to provide the same story in dozens of languages.

Therefore, I think it would be much more economically viable just to have several newspapers, each in different languages and with their own writers like in the Muggle world. I think such newspapers would be cheaper to produce and would be cheaper for readers, since they don't have to pay for 30 extra languages they will never read.

Tim the Enchanter