Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maarauder's Teachers! Help!

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Well Dumbledore says OotP that :'It was against my inclination to allow the subject of Divination to continue' implying that it was already taught.

Whether any of the Marauders would have chosen it as one of their subjects, though, is an entirely different matter.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Kate Skeffington
    I think divination was taught in the marauders time. I remember reading in OotP (just a few weeks ago... rereading!) that when Dumbledore interviewed professor Trelawney (1980? I think it was somewhere between 1979 and '80) he mentioned something about removing Divination from Hogwarts' curriculum but since he had known Trelawney's great grandmother, who was an actual Seer, he had decided he should see Telawney to be polite. Then she made the prophecy so he decided to keep her close.So I think the subject was taught before he actually saw Trelawney.

Now, who taught Divination...no clue. I think you have a free reign here.

I don't know why, but I've always thought, or more like asumed, that most of the teachers who taught during Harry's time at Hogwarts would've taught in the 70s (minus Snape, Trelawney and the DADA teachers). Wizards and witches seem to live longer and retire when they're practically incapable of teaching (like Kettleborn and his remaining limbs!) and everyone who's taught Harry weren'tthat old...But since there's nothing canon, except for what the others have said above, you pretty much can do what you like!

So, what we do know:
    Dumbledore--Headmaster
    McGonagall--Transfiguration
    Flitwick--Charms
    Slughorn--Potions
    Kettleburn--Care of magical creatures.
    A new teacher every year for DADA
    Madam Pomfrey--Likely to be around during the 70s
    Madam Pince--Likely...
    Madam Hootch--Likely...

SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    Thanks. Do we know any of the names of any of the dad teachers that taught during that time. I'm sure we don't, but Remus or Sirius could have mentioned it and I not notice. It's been a while since I read the books.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Divination was offered back then.

Dumbledore tells Harry that when he interviewed Trelawney for the position of Divination Professor, he was thinking about discontinuing the subject. That tells us it was already a subject at the school. He only continued with Divination because he needed a reason to protect Trelawney after she made the prophecy.

His dissatisfaction with the subjects suggests that the Professor at the time of the Marauders was equally useless.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Vindictus Viridian
    We don't have an exact date for when the Dark Lord re-applied for the Defence post, but it seems to have been just before he started becoming a household not-name. That puts it in the general time period of when the Marauders started school, so they might actually have had a Defence teacher who had experience in the post for the first year or so before the job was cursed. The time line is a little vague at that point, but that's part of the fun.

*mutters about "free reign," which is exactly the same homophone problem as "reigned in," and neither one is right because the metaphor is all about horses and bridles, not kings*

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by VV
    The time line is a little vague at that point, but that's part of the fun.
    We do have a few clues from the memories that Harry sees in the Pensieve, though.

Hokey's memory (the theft of the locket and goblet and the murder of Hepzibah Smith) take place when Tom Riddle is still a young man. He left Hogwarts in June 1945 and went to work at Borgin and Burkes. He is still young and handsome when he visits Hepzibah so I would estimate his age as early-mid twenties - I doubt he would stay at Borgin and Burkes too long (but that's speculation). Harry refers to him as a 'young man'. I doubt he'd think that if Riddle was the same age as Lupin or Sirius (36 ish).

Ten years separate Hokey's memory from when Riddle returns (now calling himself Lord Voldemort) and asks Dumbledore for the position of D.A.D.A. professor. So the year would most likely be between 1957-to early 60's.

Another reason for placing that particular memory in that timeframe is Dumbledore mentions certain friends waiting at the Hog's Head for Voldemort. One of them is Mulciber - it can't be the Mulciber that Snape becomes friendly with, but it could well be his father.

Carole

Banner by minnabird

SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    Thanks. The Riddle trying to get the dada job soemtime during Marauder years is something I never thought of. Thanks.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    The Riddle trying to get the dada job soemtime during Marauder years is something I never thought of. Thanks.
    Sorry, I have to come back to this. I seriously doubt he was after the DADA job during the Marauder years. For one thing, Voldemort's reign of terror (right way to use reign, VV?) lasted eleven years so it must have begun in 1970. Would he really be after the DADA job in the 70's? Especilaly as by then he was a 'household not-name,' as VV so aptly put it.

Tom Riddle left Hogwarts in 1945.
    He works for Borgin and Burkes.
    Whilst still a young (according to Harry) and handsome man he murders Hepzibah Smith (between 1945-55 at the latest). *
    10 years later (according to Dumbledore) he comes back and asks him for the DADA position (so anytime from 1955 - 1965).
    Marauders first year at school is 1971.
    He could, however, have applied when Bellatrix and Andromeda were at Hogwarts (1961 onwards)*plot bunny*

I know JK Rowling has made errors in the timeline before but these are fairly well established dates.

*Harry's description of Tom Riddle actually makes it sound as if he's barely left school young: hair slightly longer, cheeks slightly hollowed out etc - I've always imagined Tom Riddle as being 21/22 when he kills Hepzibah.

Carole

Banner by minnabird

SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    Thanks . . . alot. Again. All of you are so majorly great!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    One thing I've been wondering is whether the exact same classes were taught in the Marauder Era as in the era we witnessed during the books. Was no subject changed? Was it always Care of Magical Creatures, Divination, Charms, Trnasfiguration, whatever?

Maybe some more old-fashioned subjects were taught during the Marauders' time which weren't taught during Harry's time at Hogwarts... And maybe some of the subjects that we've seen Harry learning weren't offered to the people of the Marauder's Era.

*shrugs*

Just a thought...

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives