Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maarauder's Teachers! Help!

SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk

Maarauder's Teachers! Help!

Does anybody know exacally who taught in the year of the Marauder's? We know that Albus was Headmaster. Horace Slughorn taught potions, Minerva McGonagall taught transfigurations, and Cuthbert Binns taight History of Magic, but who taught the other classes? Diinations? Muggle Studies? Ancient Runes? Flying? Astronomy? Herbology? Arithmacy? Charms? (Flitwick back then too?) Aslo, who was the head of house? Same people as in DH? Like, Horace - Slytherin, Minera - Gryffindor, Flitwick - Ravenclaw, Prout - Hufflepuff. I don't think Sprout taught then, did she?

Thanks
    -SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    </333

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Does anybody know exacally who taught in the year of the Marauder's? We know that Albus was Headmaster. Horace Slughorn taught potions, Minerva McGonagall taught transfigurations, and Cuthbert Binns taight History of Magic, but who taught the other classes? Diinations? Muggle Studies? Ancient Runes? Flying? Astronomy? Herbology? Arithmacy? Charms? (Flitwick back then too?) Aslo, who was the head of house? Same people as in DH? Like, Horace - Slytherin, Minera - Gryffindor, Flitwick - Ravenclaw, Prout - Hufflepuff. I don't think Sprout taught then, did she?
    We don't know. None of this has been mentioned in canon.

Flitwick seems to have been around for a long time, but it's never stated for certain that he was a teacher when the Marauders were in school.

The only thing we know for sure is that Trelawney was not teaching Divination back then, since she was only hired after Snape had graduated.

SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    Ugh. Thanks.
    (I've so been in the process of reading Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle since last week. )

-SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    </333

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Flitwick is mentioned in canon - in OoTP in 'Snape's Worst Memory', it is Flitwick who collects the papers and is invigilating the exam. So he was definitely there back then.

I also believe that Slughorn makes a reference to Slytherin being his old house and possibly saying that he used to be the Head of House but I can't remember 100% *checks*

Yep in HBP, 'Horace Slughorn', Slughorn says: "I was Head of Slytherin."

In PoA, Hagrid implies that he was at the school at the time of the Marauders, though of course this would have been as gamekeeper rather than as a teacher.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    We don't know about Sprout. I believe she's supposed to be younger than McGonagall but that doesn't exclude her from teaching when the Marauders are there.

Tonks mentions her Head of House to Ginny (in OOTP) but doesn't give her a name. She does say the HoH is a female though. Tonks was at school from 1984 - if that helps at all. (Probably not)

Sprout won't be really young, though, because she's definately not the Herbology teacher in the Epilogue. Perhaps she's Headmistress

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    As far as I know, none of the other teachers are mentioned for that era.

However, it suddenly struck me as I was reading that Professor Kettleburn would have taught Care of Magical Creatures at this time. Basically because, as we know, he retires at the end of Harry's second year but also mentioned (in The Tales of Beedle the Bard in Albus Dumbledore's notes) is that during the failed attempt at performing The Fountain of Fair Fortune, Professor Kettleburn provides the Ashwinder. This obviously informs us that he would have been teaching from when Armardo Dippet was head master until the end of the second book.

Well I'm quite proud of my discovery there Though I'm sure other people have noticed before, it's unusually observant of me. Hope that helps.

Otherwise I think you have a free reign over the professors. Remembering, of course, that the DADA professor would change every year.

The mess you left
    Will end
    See you at the bitter end

|| Dean's Corner ||

Vindictus Viridian
    Flitwick is something of an ambiguous case. We see him collecting OWL papers in Snape's Worst Memory, but we also see that the proctors of the OWLs are not current Hogwarts professors at Harry's time. Either there was some little scandal with a DADA or Herbology professor along the way (plotbunny, anyone?) or Flitwick joined the staff after the Marauders' fifth year.

We do know that Tofty has been proctoring OWLs and NEWTs since about forever, though, because he administered Dumbledore's tests. He may or may not have been a Hogwarts teacher at the time, but if he'd never seen such things done with a wand before (and so he claims) presumably he didn't have Dumbledore in a class to observe him.

I don't have the books handy, but does Flitwick add anything about the Marauders when McGonagall is talking about them in PoA? That would give you a hint.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    I happen to have my PoA handy after checking the point in my previous post. I'm also quite bored at the moment so I'm happy for something useful to do). I just looked and Flitwick does comment on Sirius and James when they're discussing them in the Three Broomsticks (p152 for reference). Here are his exact words:

'You'd have thought Black and Potter were brothers!' chimed in Professor Flitwick. 'Inseperable!'
    So if he knew about the relationship between James and Sirius I think it's surfice to say that he was teaching there during the marauder era or at least for a part of it.

The mess you left
    Will end
    See you at the bitter end

|| Dean's Corner ||

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by VV
    We do know that Tofty has been proctoring OWLs and NEWTs since about forever, though, because he administered Dumbledore's tests. He may or may not have been a Hogwarts teacher at the time, but if he'd never seen such things done with a wand before (and so he claims) presumably he didn't have Dumbledore in a class to observe him.
    It's actually Griselda Marchbanks who examined Dumbledore and saw things coming out of his wand.

Also, Professor Flitwick calls out one of the student's names in SWM ("Stebbins, that means you"). I doubt he'd know the boy's name if he were just an examiner.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

SlthrngNbltyWrtnINnk
    Thanks guys. I think I will make Professor Sprout a teacher and Flitwick. Was divinations offered back then?