Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disapparating from the outskirts of Hogwarts

Vittoria

Disapparating from the outskirts of Hogwarts

I have a question concerning disapparating from the Forbidden Forest. We are aware that one cannot apparate or disapparate within the grounds of Hogwarts, but does this rule extend to the Forbidden Forest also? Can one apparate from the Forest?

Help appreciated.

Thanks!

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    I always thought the forest was part of the grounds, but according to the lexicon, it sounds as if not all of it is. Maybe reading this article will help:
    [click]

Hope that helps! x

Love_is_4ever
    In my opinion the Forbidden Forrest is part of Hogwarts, or at the very least Hogwart's protection spells. The spells are there to protect the school and not allow people to enter the grounds without permission. The Forbidden Forrest may not be completely inside the grounds [this is something I kind of doubt, because that would be a huge weakness in the fortress], but I think it may be protected by spells becuase if people could apparate into certain parts of the forrest, they could easily just walk up to the school, and that wouldn't be very secure for the students, would it?

Just my opinion.

~ Samarie

Vittoria
    Thank you guys! That helped a lot.

Halgy
    Remember that Sirius was able to sneak onto the grounds through the forest in PoK, to watch the quiditch. That would imply that it isn't as well protected as the rest of the boundary wall. Perhaps just having to go through the forest itself is protection enough...

Also, I think it once said that the Marauder's Map showed the whole of the grounds, but in GoF, Ron postulates that Crouch could have escaped detection by the map by moving outside the boundary of the grounds (and therefore the map), but it still rather implied that such a place would still be in the forest.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    I would think that the Forbidden Forest is as well protected as the rest of the grounds, because otherwise, anyone could apparate into the Forest, and then stroll into Hogwarts- which kinda defies the whole point of the spell, which is to stop people from coming into Hogwarts.

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Hmm... If my memory is correct, Barty Crouch Senior in Goblet of Fire managed to get into the Hogwarts grounds from the Forbidden Forest. Now, we have no idea how expansive the Forbidden Forest actually is, but I think that it would be unlikely for Crouch to Apparate outside of the forest, then walk through it on his way to Hogwarts; but then again, he was a bit loopy at the time, so maybe not. However, I have a feeling that Crouch tried to Apparate to somewhere outside the grounds, but he missed and ended up in the Forbidden Forest instead.

So, is Crouch's appearance proof that the Anti-Apparation spell doesn't cover the Forbidden Forest? Not really, but it certainly could be.

Tim the Enchanter

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    I think the Hogwarts gates would allow Barty Crouch Senior inside... I think Dumbledore trusted him, and he wasn't a death eater or anything, so I think the gates may have opened for him.

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    I think the Hogwarts gates would allow Barty Crouch Senior inside... I think Dumbledore trusted him, and he wasn't a death eater or anything, so I think the gates may have opened for him.
    But he didn't come through the gates - remember when Harry and Krum were talking to each other after the revealing of the Third Task, and Mr Crouch stumbled into them from out of the Forbidden Forest? Doesn't make much sense for him to go through the gates and make a detour into the Forest, when he could just go straight to the castle.

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Doesn't make much sense for him to hallucinate about his dead wife either. I find it very probable that he was sort of walking around and ending up on the edge of the forbidden forest. Maybe he wasn't even aware of being on Hogwarts grounds and was just looking for people?

Anyway, first of all probably everyone would think that it isn't advisable to apparate in the forbidden forest. Imagine you end up on the back of a centaur... But I still don't think you can. The Death Eaters obviously have no problem with the forbidden forest, as they gather there in DH, so why would Malfoy have bothered with the cabinet in HBP if his pals could just stroll over to the school from the forest?

Maybe you can apparate in the forest, but really really far away from Hogwarts.. But I still think it unlikely. Why extra-protect the school with gates and stuff and then leave the forest open to anyone who's prepared to blast a few animals apart..