Thread: CENTRAL AMERICAN Language and Culture

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

CENTRAL AMERICAN Language and Culture

We do not have any threads devoted to this part of the world, so I will start one. I will start this question thread because I need some questions answered about the schools.

The populations, even combinded, don't have enough people to equal those who would go to Hogwarts. Do you think that all of Latin America has one wizarding school?

What influence do you think the Spanish had on their education? What are some destinct patturns in Spanish education that we would also see in Latin America

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Err, how are you defining "Latin America"? Usually that refers to pretty much all of Mexico, Central, and South America, which would be over half a billion people.

JMLuna
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    We do not have any threads devoted to this part of the world, so I will start one. I will start this question thread because I need some questions answered about the schools.

The populations, even combinded, don't have enough people to equal those who would go to Hogwarts. Do you think that all of Latin America has one wizarding school?

What influence do you think the Spanish had on their education? What are some destinct patturns in Spanish education that we would also see in Latin America

Latin America is too vast to have only one wizarding school. You have to take into account that South America has about 13 countries. Then there's Central America which has about 7 countries and a few Islands. Also Mexico and then certain Islands like Cuba, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti and many more. So in effect you have North America, South America, Central America, The Caribbean and some internationals countries/Islands making up Latin America.

How many students does hogwarts have yearly?

Then consider this. Latin America a population of about 569 Million when you count all the countries together.
    I would think Central America would have their own while South America has their own. Mexico would probably share the South American school while the Islands have their own.

Considering that every Latin country has their own culture and their own dialect, it would be hard to discern a pattern. Of course people who speak spanish can 99% of the time understand each other but there's that 1%.
    For example my parents are from Dominican Republic and they had these Hondurian friends and they would say we'll be there Ahorita, which in DR means now but in Honduras means later and we'd be there waiting forever for them because we thought they meant now.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by JMLuna
    Then consider this. Latin America a population of about 569 Million when you count all the countries together.
    I would think Central America would have their own while South America has their own. Mexico would probably share the South American school while the Islands have their own.
    Why should Central America have their own school when all of South America and Mexico has to share one?

Anyway, Britain has a population of about 60 million people, and Hogwarts has about 280 students (assuming that each House gets 10 students each year).

With that in mind, you could have one school for every 60 million people, give or take. Here's a short list of countries and schools:
    • Mexico (pop ~ 109 million): 2 schools
    • Caribbean Islands (pop ~ 37 million): 1 school
    • Central America (pop ~ 40 million): 1 school
    • Columbia, Venezuela (pop ~ 74 million): 1 school, or 2 small ones
    • Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia (pop ~ 52 million): 1 school
    • Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay (pop ~ 65 million): 1 school, or 2 small ones
    • Brazil (pop ~ 196 million): 3-4 schools

So, for a total, there should be a low of about 10 schools or a high of 13.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Err, how are you defining "Latin America"? Usually that refers to pretty much all of Mexico, Central, and South America, which would be over half a billion people.
    I'm sorry, wrong wording. It was late at night. I probably would have been better to write Central American, which is what I meant to say. I will pm the mod and ask if I can have a title change.

But looking at Central American's population, I do think they would have just one school for all of them. They really don't have enough people to have a meaningful school population on their own.

Edit: Thank you so much, for changing the thread title for me!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

JMLuna
    Ah, I see. Well then I agree.
    That would make for quite a bit of magical schools considering we only know about 3 from Rowling.

Halgy
    It should be noted that J.K.R. has stated the population of Hogwarts to be about 800-1000 (though it isn't consistent with the books). This might mean that some of the smaller countries share schools. However, it is also possible that there are more (or fewer) wizards per muggle than in Brittan.

However, Brazil would definitely have a seperate school to themselves, firstly because J.K.R. mentions a Brazillian school, secondly because they have enough population to have at least one or two, and thirdly because they speak Portuguese and not Spanish like most of the rest of Latin America.