Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fast, High Quanity Mailing

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Halgy
    I know that it doesn't make sense (logically), but there's no way that Hermione's bag weighed as much as it should. She had a large pile of books (Harry obvserved that her 'keep' pile was bigger than her 'discard' pile, and you know how many books Hermione had), plus a tent, potions, clothes, and a picture frame, not to mention other stuff.

That bag would have weighed several hundred pounds, but there was no mention of it ever being heavy from an outsiders (the carrier's) perspective. Yes, it thudded when she dropped it, but that's because the inside of the bag was susceptible to the laws of physics (weight), but the bag as a whole was not.
    A pile of books, a tent, clothes, potions, and a picture frame would add up, but I don't think it would weigh several hundred pounds. You're actually talking about a load no greater than what a soldier might carry in the field.

The spells on the purse might well lighten the load somewhat, or at least balance the weight, but if it had no limits, Hermione wouldn't have needed to leave some books behind. (And she might have remembered to pack food. )

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I just looked up paper weight on Wikipedia and found a useful piece of information.

For example, a 500-sheet ream of 20# copy paper may specify "40 M". Therefore, 1000 sheets (or two reams) will weigh 40 lb (18 kg).
    Okay, for the sake of the story, I'll pretend the density is the same as copy paper. Newspaper is generally a lot lighter, but Wikipedia didn't have the calculations for that.

I don't think, since this is a small paper, there would be 1000 copies. Instead, I'll put the number at a hundred. Divide by ten, and that would make it 4 pounds (1.8 kg) as a total weight. That certainly seems like a weight that an owl could carry, according to Tim's post.

So I think I will go with the idea of the un-detectable expansion charm placed on the bag, and have the papers be delievered by owl.

Thank!, everyone.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    So I think I will go with the idea of the un-detectable expansion charm placed on the bag, and have the papers be delievered by owl.

Thank!, everyone.
    Are these papers being delivered blank sheets for future printing or are they the completed products? If they are completed newspapers, it wouldn't make much sense to only have one owl carry all of the day's newspapers and deliver them to every subscribers by itself.

Tim the Enchanter