Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast, High Quanity Mailing

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Fast, High Quanity Mailing

I need to come up with a way to create a wizarding method of transporting large amounts of materials in a fast amount of time. I can think of plenty of ways that Muggles would be able to do it, but I need a way that wizards would be able to do it as well.

This may require some creative thinking to come up with. Can anyone help me out?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I think the best way would just be to turn whatever you want to send into a Portkey.

For instance, if you want to transport a large crate of stuff, just do a Portus on it, set the timer (DON'T MAKE IT TOUCH-ACTIVATED!), and have it teleport almost instantaneously to it's destination.

Tim the Enchanter

Inverarity
    It's not clear whether you can send things via Portkey without a wizard accompanying them, or how much mass a wizard can take with him/her through a Portkey.

My inclination would be to assume that Portkeys are somewhat restricted in utility, or you'd see them being used more often (they sure seem to beat Floo travel). Being able to ship tons of materials instantly from point to point would have a pretty major impact. (See Larry Niven's essays and stories on the effect that teleportation technology would have on society.)

You could just handwave all that away and use Tim's idea to shove everything through a Portkey. If not, two other possibilities occur to me:

1. Dragons! (Or -- via ocean shipping -- giant squids!) The problem being how to keep Muggles from spotting the critters. (Somewhat easier with giant squids.)

2. We know wizards use vehicles which are both able to hide from Muggle sight, and carry more than their exterior size suggests. (The Hogwarts Express and the Knight Bus.) So perhaps someone comes up with some sort of wizarding equivalent of a shipping company, using trucks or freighters that look like vans and sailboats.

2a. Alternatively, they use Muggle transportation, but spell the materials to take up less space, so the Muggle shipping company (or mail carriers!) don't know they are carrying an entire disassembled castle, bricks and all...

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    It's not clear whether you can send things via Portkey without a wizard accompanying them, or how much mass a wizard can take with him/her through a Portkey.
    Well, I hadn't thought about size restrictions on Portkeys, but from the books, we do know that they don't need a human to accompany them. Remember in Deathly Hallows, when the Order extracted Harry from the Dursleys with the seven-Harry decoy scheme, each safe house had a Portkey set on a timer to go straight to the Burrow. One of those Porkeys (the one for George and Remus) arrived at the Burrow alone and without either of them.

So, there could very well be some size restrictions (like you'll need to be a very powerful wizard to send a bus-sized package as a Portkey), but the books indicate that Portkey's can be sent alone, without a human attached to them. So I'm quite certain that you can teleport packages at least in this manner. If you want to transport something really big, you can split the load and send several Portkeys if you can't make a spell powerful enough for the whole thing.

That's just what I'm thinking...

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Hm, it kind of makes you wonder how stores are able to function if it is not clear how wizards can recieve their quantity. Maybe the transporters in the wizarding world are really highly skilled people who transport 'bus-sized' packages to different stores through Portkeys.

Or maybe they use the Floo Networks to transport parts of invantory a little bit at a time.

I'll think of something.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Halgy
    The floo network is an obvious idea. If the location is remote, perhaps have a way to connect camp fires to the network.

Otherwise, there is a way to do it; Dumbledore sent Harry's trunk and things on ahead when taking him from the Dursley's 6th year. It never said how he did it, but it could be based on portkey technology as said previously.

Or perhaps you could have couriers that could be hired to apperate with the stuff.

bluexroses
    Well we know that objects can be shrunk, down to very small sizes. I think that most businesses would find it convenient to just shrink everything down and send it via owl.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Well we know that objects can be shrunk, down to very small sizes. I think that most businesses would find it convenient to just shrink everything down and send it via owl.
    I can't believe I didn't think of that myself! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

And shrinking spells are certainly a lot simpler than creating Portkeys, I'm sure. I suppose sometimes people just try to find the mostcomplicated answer for the simplest questions.

But just to make this a complicated issue once again, I will add a new condition. A Muggle needs to send high quanity packages (crate-loads, I mean) to a family member. How would he go about doing it? Not a simple as you might think when you really start to look at the question.

Brand New Story!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    I can't believe I didn't think of that myself! Stupid, stupid, stupid!
    But if you shrink something, aren't you just condensing it? Sure, it may be smaller, but it should weigh the same, so if you're shrink something big and heavy, it'll probably be too heavy for an owl to carry.

And how can you be sure that your package isn't in any way damaged by the shrinking spell?

Tim the Enchanter

Halgy
    Oh! Another simple idea is to use an un-detectable expansion charm like Hermione did on her bag. She hauled around tons of stuff and it didn't weigh her down at all. In that way, something small (like an owl) could carry anything. Plus, the idea of pulling a grand piano out of a owl's message pouch could be quite funny.