Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creature Reserves

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Hmm, what about the Bermuda Triangle?
    Hmm, what creatures do you think would take to living in that habitat, though? Do any of J.K.'s creatures come to anyone's mind?

I actually have my own theories behind the Bermuda Triangle, but I won't mention them because I don't want to go too off topic.

But does anyone else have any theories as to places you think would be a great location for a creature reserve? Either because of location or creatures you think could be quite at home there?

Also, I have found this useful link about dragon reserves, which I'm posting for reference.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Alright, double posting because I have a new discussion topic to bring up about creature reserves.

We already know that places can be hidden through making the potion Unplottable and with Muggle-Repelling Charms. What are some other ways that creature reserves could be kept hidden? What ways would probably be the best?

And, tying back to the Yeti, what keeps dangerous creatures from just wondering off the grounds one day?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Alright, double posting because I have a new discussion topic to bring up about creature reserves.

We already know that places can be hidden through making the potion Unplottable and with Muggle-Repelling Charms. What are some other ways that creature reserves could be kept hidden? What ways would probably be the best?

And, tying back to the Yeti, what keeps dangerous creatures from just wondering off the grounds one day?
    The location of creature reserves would be an important factor in keeping them hidden - there reserves would be in isolated locations far away from Muggle settlements. Places like rough mountains in the middle of nowhere, hidden valleys, Unplottable islands, and tropical rain forests are just some locations that come to mind.

The location can also serve the double purpose of keeping the magical creatures inside as well as the Muggles out. For instance, Fire Crabs on Fiji aren't going anyway - they're stuck there. Likewise, a reserve in a valley could be a huge cage for non-flying animals with some security enchantments.

However, no matter what natural terrain feature aid in Muggle repulsion and creature inclusion, there would have to a staff of groundskeepers who constantly patrol the reserves of more dangerous animals like dragons and yetis. The best way to do this in my opinion is by broom, with several people on different shifts throughout the day, so the reserve has complete 24-hour coverage.

If a magical creature is caught escaping, the person on patrol can use some bait (either a dead animal or him/herself) to lure the beast back inside. Failing that, the guard could just summon help and have all the groundskeepers subdue the animal and physically put the animal back in the reserve.

Tim the Enchanter

Inverarity
    Muggle-Repelling Charms cause Muggles to see magical areas as dangerous and uninviting. I think they could put up Beast-Repelling Charms to keep some beasts from crossing a boundary -- for example, an illusion of a wide chasm, or a fire.

This wouldn't work as well for creatures with acute senses, though, and it probably wouldn't work at all for flying creatures, like dragons.

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    I think that the Himalayas are definitely a good bet- they're huge, and most parts are unexplored. That would mean no pesky Muggles...

And Elle's idea of the Bermuda Triangle is definitely interesting. But would the wizards really let magical animals destroy Muggle ships and airplanes so indiscriminately? I mean, the Muggles could find out about the beasts... Maybe the triangle was naturally a place with a variety of magical animals, and it was turned into a reserve by the wizards because they couldn't transport the animals elsewhere...

/madenosense

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Rescued by Gred and Forge...er, Fred and George
    You can't fly into Hogwarts, according to what Hermione says in the Prisoner of Azkaban, so I suppose something similar could stop dragons from flying out...

But I don't know if this would work perfectly, because as we can see from Order of the Phoenix, it's possible to fly OUT of Hogwarts...

>_<

EDIT~ Sorry, I made the last post without seeing this page, and then I posted again, and now it's a double post... If a mod could merge these two posts or something it would be great.

banner by my mystery banner maker! :O

Profile on the Archives

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Sainyn Swiftfoot
    I think that the Himalayas are definitely a good bet- they're huge, and most parts are unexplored. That would mean no pesky Muggles...
    Well, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them says that there are Yeti reserves in Tibet, so that presumably means they're in the Himalayas, as that would be the most obvious place.

Concerning Muggles, I wouldn't worry about the locals, but the Chinese Army would certainly be more probing and more likely to stumble upon a Yeti reserve. Though I am not exactly sure of the location of People's Liberation Army bases in Tibet, China did fight a few border wars with India in the 1960s - both countries have several overlapping territorial claims, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Chinese Army patrols on the Tibet side. And those Muggle soldiers could cause a nuisance for the staff at the Yeti reserves...

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    Hey, I was re-reading Fantastic Beasts today and there were a few reserves I don't think people mentioned:

-the Fire Crab reserve on the coast of Fiji
    -the MacFustys' Hebridean Black reserve in (I believe) the Hebrides
    -the Isle of Drear probably counts as a creature reserve; it is the home of the Quintapeds and is Unplottable

And to back up my earlier claim that FB can't possibly have all the magical creatures in the world in it, Scamander wrote in his introduction that he thought there would be at least one new species discovered before the year was out.

As for spells/protections against detection, I think some of the scarier creatures' reserves would have to have Obliviators on hand in case of a Muggle sighting.

And I think you had a question regarding whether every country would have reserves...I would say, yes. Every country probably has some big-time creature Muggles shouldn't see, and they're required by international wizarding law to keep these out of sight.