Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creature Reserves

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Creature Reserves

Do we ever learn the name of the dragon reserve in Romania that Charlie works for? Are there any other famous creature reserves in the word that J.K. has named? I'm trying to come up with a list of them to write about only to realize that I don't know what any of them are named.

Does anyone at there know?

And let's add to it. Can anyone think of any other places in the world that would be good to have a creature reserve?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I'm pretty sure the reserve in Romania is never named. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them implies there are magical creature reserves all over the world, but none of them are specifically mentioned.

However, judging by how the Tibetan ministry of magic is repeatedly fined for multiple Muggle sightings of the Yeti, there's probably a Yeti reserve in Tibet... albeit a very poorly staffed one.

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    However, judging by how the Tibetan ministry of magic is repeatedly fined for multiple Muggle sightings of the Yeti, there's probably a Yeti reserve in Tibet... albeit a very poorly staffed one.
    Oh, yes! I can just imagine how this would run! Or maybe the Yeti have just evolved to the point where their only act of intelligence is tricking the guards at their reserves.

But do you think most countries in the world have at least one Creature Reserve? Which ones do you think wouldn't have any? Can you think of any reserves that would devote themselves to just one creature they way there are ones for just dragons?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

bellaoc
    But do you think most countries in the world have at least one Creature Reserve? Which ones do you think wouldn't have any? Can you think of any reserves that would devote themselves to just one creature they way there are ones for just dragons?
    Hm. Well, I think that countries might have a creature reserve. I think that most Reserves would be for creatures that are a danger to magical and non-magical folk. Also creatures that would risk the exposure of the Wizarding world. For example, there probably isn't a reserve for thestrals, because not everyone can see them. Thus, the Muggles who do see them can't point them out to everyone.

I think creatures like dragons are put in reserves because they pose a huge risk to the exposure of the wizarding world. I'm not familiar with a lot of creatures in the wizarding world, but I think its safe to say that many of the large, dangerous creatures would probably be put in reserves.

Like I said, i think most countries would have some reserve for some creatures, depending on where the creatures lived. Countries that have large rural areas probably have the most reserves, as they would have the most space to contain huge creatures like dragons.

--Bella

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Oh, yes! I can just imagine how this would run! Or maybe the Yeti have just evolved to the point where their only act of intelligence is tricking the guards at their reserves.

Speaking of yetis, I happened to have written a quasi-crack!fic style fic called Yelling Yourself Yellow With Yetis, in which the entire story revolves around an escaped, homicidal yeti.

But I digress. I think that some countries wouldn't have any creature reserves, like some little islands in the Caribbean or the Pacific that don't even have enough space! However, for most adequately sized countries that have significant enough magical creatures (as in ones guaranteed to attract Muggle attention), there are bound to be at least one reserve.

So, for countries that have reserves solely dedicated for one magical species? Well, here's a quick list I came up with:

Tibet (yetis)
    Greece (chimeras, manticores, griffins, maybe hippocampi and Merpeople)
    Borneo (Acromantulas)
    Egypt (sphinxes)
    Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, etc. (Nundus)
    Romania, Ukraine, Norway, Sweden, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, China, etc. (various dragons)
    Fiji (Fire Crab)
    India (Occamy)

Looks like Greece has its plate full! And there would be even more if Rowling decided to keep in things like hydras, gorgons, sirens, satyrs, that sort of thing.

But one thing has always irked me about Fantastic Beasts (apart from its shortness, I mean): Rowling describes the Chimera as having a "lion's head, a goat's body and a dragon's tail."

However, in Greek mythology, the Chimera did indeed have a lion's head, but it also had a goat's head, and a snake's head at the end of its tail, so it looked like this. And this. Oh, and it also BREATHED FIRE.

And the man who killed it had a name - Bellerophon. To slay the chimera, Bellerophon stuck a lump of lead on the end of his spear, mounted his trusty flying horse Pegasus, and simply swooped down and jammed the spear down one of the chimera's throats. It's fiery breath melted the lump of lead and killed it. Then Bellerophon thought he was such a hero for killing the beast and tried flying all the way up to Olympus, but Zeus didn't like that and smited the cocky mortal with a thunderbolt.

So yes, I was annoyed by the very short and inadequate (and incorrect) description of the chimera in Fantastic Beasts.

But enough ranting!

But here's a question:

What about those other creatures of Greek myth, like satyrs and hydras? Do you think they exist in the wizarding world, and Rowling just forgot to include them?

Tim the Enchanter

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    The Giant Spider is Hagrid's... Friend?!?
    I could swear there was a Snidget reserve, although now I think about it, I might've gotten that idea from the Harry Potter Quidditch video game. Anyway, I think reserves could also be there for endangered animals, to keep them safe.

What about those other creatures of Greek myth, like satyrs and hydras? Do you think they exist in the wizarding world, and Rowling just forgot to include them?

I don't think Fantastic Beasts could possibly be a definitive guide to every single magical creature out there. After all, Newt Scamander was just one man. Personally, I think the Lovegoods are quite right that there are still undiscovered beasts out there--although they might have an odd idea of the possibilities. With the abilities that some of these creatures possess, who knows what could be hiding out there?

Also, I think the book would have to be really, really long if J.K. Rowling included every mythological creature she'd ever heard of. There's a book of legendary creatures in my school library that's the size of HBP--and it only talks about faerie legends.

bellaoc
    I don't think she forgot to include any creatures, I just think that she didn't have any use for them. It would be quite unnecessary if she went about adding in 20 or so random creatures, who really had no point in the plot except for just being there....She had a use for dragons, hippogriffs and all that, so they were in the book.

I suppose that other creatures could exist, but technically, unless stated by Rowling, they don't exist in HER wizarding world. Something I run into a lot on the boards are people saying things like, "well this <blank> exists with wizards." But they are referring to other wizarding stories and novels they may have read. I know it takes the fun out of it, imagining other creatures, but strictly speaking, Rowling created her world and chose what went in it. So yeah, wrapping up that long rambling speech, there could possibly be other creatures that she just never had a use for....

--Bella

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Alright, I have really started getting into planning the locations of the reserves. I'm starting with North America. Where would be some good places in North America (and geographically, that includes Central America too) for there to be a creature reserve? What would some reserves be that would house only one type of creature (I know the Peruvian dragon would be one of them, for example)?

I would love to hear some imput on this subject.

Brand New Story!

HARRYHARRYHARRYs_twin
    Hmmmm, North American places for reserves.

Well, let's take a look-see at the geography (the basics, anyway) of the (continental) U.S. In the Northeast we have mountainous area, with the Attirondacks (spelling, I know) in New York and other mountain ranges all over the place. It snows, and it's hot and humid in the summer. In the Southeast, we have states such as Florida and Louisiana, that have wetlands (and are hurricane-prone - just mentioning, as I get a funny image of a bunch of oddly coloured Snidgets hanging onto trees, fighting the high winds and the storm. Oh, dear.) and such things. In Middle America, we have the Great Plains, and tornadoes. A lot of open grassland with little to no trees. On the West Coast, we have the lovely California, ranging from sunny and hot Southern California to foggy and rainy Northern California (wine country!). We also have good 'ol Oregon and Washington, housing the now-famous town of Forks.

Well, after looking at that glance at the geography of the place (horribly done, I know, but it's never been my best subject), let's see where we could hide wildlife reserves.

The Great Plains. For land-living or small magical animals. Some major boundaries and anti-Muggle magic would have to be put in place, because you'll be hiding something in plain sight. (Get it? Plain sight?)

Any Mountainous region. Self-explanitory. There are a lot of moutain ranges to choose from, depending on the climate the creature needs to survive.

Do you think that water-bound creatures could have a reserve somewhere off the coast? Maybe off the Jersey Shore, an explaination of a number of missing persons reports. They must have been taken by a group of kelpies. Or maneating sirens.

Now, I know basically nothing about the other parts of North America, but there is a LOT of wilderness in Canada, or so I hear. Reserves could be all over the place there. I could see one being tucked away in Death Valley, or another, similar place in Central America. But I'll leave such things to those who know them.

With Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - I would say that it isn't that Jo forgot to include them, exactly. Prehaps she chose not to include such creatures because she couldn't add anything to them that was all that interesting. I mean, what if hydras are the exact same thing in the wizarding world as the Muggle one? I don't have a particular opinion on this, but just giving another side to it.
    ~Selina

Pheonix Tears
    Hmm, what about the Bermuda Triangle? I must admit, I know very little about this, but I'm attempting research right now. If planes and ships and such are said to have gone missing - therefore, Muggle, electronic items, could there potentially be a reserve there? But then, would it be a reserve? Or just a place where magical creatures hijack the Muggles? And it's actually a place of danger?

/ramble.