Thread: Anti-Disapparition Jinx

christinem

Anti-Disapparition Jinx

I know that there is an Anti-Disapparition Jinx, but does it get harder to do with a larger area? If it does, would it take a really powerful wizard to put one on a place the size of a small island?

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I would assume so.

Tim the Enchanter

Inverarity
    I would think so also. Hogwarts appears to be somewhat unique in its ability to prevent anyone from Disapparating in or out. And Hogwarts has been around for a thousand years, with the greatest wizards in history running the place and teaching there, so it's not surprising it has some uniquely powerful defenses.

I really can't see any old wizard (even a really powerful one) easily putting up Anti-Disapparition spells even on his own estate, much less an island.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I've reconsidered my answer.

In Deathly Hallows immediately prior to the Trio entering Hogwarts through the Hog's Head, one or two Death Eaters casted an anti-Disapparating Jinx over all of Hogsmeade village to prevent the Trio from escaping. Though we don't know how skilled the Death Eaters were, this does prove that a large, Hogsmeade-sized anti-Disapparating Jinx can be erected very quickly and without too much trouble.

Tim the Enchanter

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter
    In Deathly Hallows immediately prior to the Trio entering Hogwarts through the Hog's Head, one or two Death Eaters casted an anti-Disapparating Jinx over all of Hogsmeade village to prevent the Trio from escaping. Though we don't know how skilled the Death Eaters were, this does prove that a large, Hogsmeade-sized anti-Disapparating Jinx can be erected very quickly and without too much trouble.
    Gah. I'd forgotten about that.

*sigh* Yet another silly plot contrivance Rowling made up because it was momentarily convenient.

Halgy
    The only reason that I might think it is difficult is the rarity of it, or perhaps the character's surprise at it's existence. Every character (well, at least Ron in GoF) is quite surprised to find an anti-disaperation jinx in place. This surprised could well come from the notion that they are extremely hard to cast, and therefore very rare.

However, another reason that the jinx might be rare (and therefore novel to people discovering it) is that it is not often needed, especially over large areas. I mean, since apparition is the most common form of long-distacne transport, why would anyone want to block it? If you follow that sort of logic, then perhaps it is much easier to cast, it's just that no one ever does it.

Perhaps a muggle analogy of my idea would be to plant your garden in the place where your driveway should be. Though it is quite easy to do, most people wouldn't because it removes a necessary transportation route; a way to get the car into the garage.

It all depends on how you think about it, really. One of the cool things about writing your own additions is you can take J.K.R.'s work any way you want, so long as you don't violate what she said. She never said that the jinx is hard to cast, so far as I can remember, she just said that they were surprising. However, if you do go against the grain a bit (like this), then a few sentences of explanation wouldn't hurt (having Ron be surprised and Hermione use something like my analogy to explain, for instance).