Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GERMAN Language Help

n4wtb

terms,germs,and worms

OK.

Firstly, I need a term for a Czech emigrant.Second, I need a translation for this:

"Mr. Bronson, you have pneumonia."

"Ah, thank god. I feared I had Figg's Mucosia."

Lastly,I need a term for a computer worm.

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Tim the Enchanter

“Very good. Sound the all-clear. We Disapparate to headquarters in three… two… one… OUT!”
    Raffles' translation isn't wrong, it just sounds a bit... weird. I'd translate it as

Sehr gut. Gebt grünes Licht/Entwarnung. Wir disapparieren zum Hauptquartier in drei... zwei... eins... LOS!
    Or, instead of "LOS!", you can also say "JETZT!" I'd also prefer the "Entwarnung" alternative, as it sounds more natural in my ears. And like Raffles said, you could substitute "zum Hauptquartier" with "zur Zentrale".

n4wtb

Your translation would be:

"Herr Bronson, Sie haben Lungenentzündung."

"Ah, Gott sei Dank. Ich fürchtete schon, ich hätte Figg's Mukosia."
    I assume "Figg's Mucosia" is a proper noun you made up? Because I haven't heard of it before and don't find it in the dictionary either. If you made it up yourself, I suggest writing "Mukosia" like this in German, as we don't have (lot of) words with a c alone, you know.

A computer worm is "ein Virus" (a virus). Simple.

A Czech emigrant is "ein tschechischer Auswanderer/Emigrant". If the person is female, it's "eine tschechische Auswanderin/Emigrantin".

Hope that helped.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Just a small addition to what luinrina said – you'd probably say "Sie haben eine Lungenentzündung" instead of "Sie haben Lungenentzündung". At least that's how I always heard it. For some reason, pneumonia gets an extra article here...
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

n4wtb

Post hello

I did make Figg's Mukosia up!
    Here's one more:
    Context: Mr.Bronson is working in his apartment when he finds he has a computer worm.

"Oh,for the marble chipmunk."
    Next, he goes to the alterations store and gets his blue shirt back grey.
    "Oh, how-HOW DID THIS HAPPEN!
    Huh- Oh-Oh.
    I- uh
    Oh-right.
    Dunno.
    Ask the manager,I don't know?! "
    Then, he goes to get a swahili cd. The storekeeper gets one out of air
    "Hello, i would like a swahili cd and-whoa-how did you-uh,how did you do that?"

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Mr.Bronson is working in his apartment when he finds he has a computer worm.
    Mr. Bronson arbeitet in seiner Wohnung an seinem Computer. (this is only the first part-what do you mean, he finds a virus? He realized his computer has one??? then you could say : Er bemerkt dann, dass er einen Virus hat. that would be more like... he then realizes that he has a computer worm)

Oh, wie-WIE IST DIES PASSIERT!

I- uh
    Ich-uh

Oh-right.
    Oh-richtig.

Dunno.
    Keine Ahnung (this actually means 'No idea')

Ask the manager,I don't know?! "
    "Frag den Direktor*, ich weiss es nicht?!"
    * for manager you could use Direktor (= director) Abteilungsleiter (= the chef of that section) den Boss (the boss)

I hope I helped!
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

"Oh,for the marble chipmunk."
    Oh, beim Marmorstreifenhörnchen! (is marble chipmunk a standing expression? o.O)

Andi already answered this, but I think you'd be better with "wie ist das passiert" instead of "wie ist dies passiert" because "dies" is so formal.

Dunno.
    Could also be "Weiß nicht."

"Hello, i would like a swahili cd and-whoa-how did you-uh,how did you do that?"
    "Hallo, ich hätte gerne eine Kisuaheli-CD und – woah, wie haben Sie- äh, wie haben Sie das gemacht?"

(you can say Swahili or Suaheli instead of Kisuaheli, too)
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

The_A_Scribe
    Looking for some help/suggestions.

In the end of my first novel, Harry and gang to Schloss Neuschwanstein. Where pure blood vampires live. Back story for the vamps, vampires were originally "dark" angels in the service of God, whose purpose was to end the suffering of the sick and dieing. Some however grew power hungry and joined Lucifer. It is in killing innocent people that they become the sun fearing garlic hating half vamps that we know of. Ok anyways on the subject of this post.

The Pureblood Vampires are called the Gottes Infernalisch Engels.

Does this sound ok? and did I pluralize Angels correctly?

Their Leader is Der Gottlose Fürst the wicked prince.

Same questions as the last one.

Teufel Hexerei AbwehrGruppe - Devil Sorcery Defense Group : Part of the Bundesnachrichtendienst (federal intelligence service) That is aware of the magical world, and attempts to fight Lord Voldemort. The British equivalent is "The Auror Liason Troop" which is a joint effort of MI-6 and the S.A.S.

I'm basically looking for a better translation of dark/black magic than devil sorcery.

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    You would probably rather call them "Infernalische Engel Gottes" - it just sounds better. By the by, "Engel" is both singular and plural in German. No plural s is needed.

"Der Gottlose Fürst" sounds great. And it's correct. What you could debate is whether or not there's a need to capitalise "gottlos" as it's an adjective and normally written in lower case. But since it's part of a proper name or title here, you could capitalise it and it would be right.

As for the Devil Sorcery Defense Group - your translation does sound a bit odd. How about "Abwehrgruppe für Hexerei und alles Teuflische"? I know, it's longer and more complicated than the simple English equivalent, but you noticed yourself that just translating single words and putting them together not always makes it sound right. Besides, we Germans apparently love long and complicated names.

PS: I like your "theory" about vampires. Sounds interesting.
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Midnight Storm
    Hey there. I really don't think my 'tourist German' is up to scratch for trying to get this right.
    I don't need a translation, I just need a clarification:

"Hallo! Ich heissen Laura, und ich komme aus England."

Hopefully that says. "Hello! I'm Laura, and I come from England." I don't know if I should use "Mein Name ist Laura" or "Ich heissen Laura." Any suggestions?

Also, you know the double 'S' is 'heissen'? Just pretend it's that other letter - can't remember the name right now, but I think you'll know what I mean.

Thanks!
    Midnight Storm

eevaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Storm
    Hey there. I really don't think my 'tourist German' is up to scratch for trying to get this right.
    I don't need a translation, I just need a clarification:

"Hallo! Ich heissen Laura, und ich komme aus England."

Hopefully that says. "Hello! I'm Laura, and I come from England." I don't know if I should use "Mein Name ist Laura" or "Ich heissen Laura." Any suggestions?

Also, you know the double 'S' is 'heissen'? Just pretend it's that other letter - can't remember the name right now, but I think you'll know what I mean.

Thanks!
    Midnight Storm
    Almost right. You used the plural form of heißen, but it should be singular. "Hallo! Ich heiße Laura und ich komme aus England." Also, if you want to be exact you wouldn't put a comma. And, as you can see, it has to be a sharp s. "Mein Name ist ..." would be perfectly fine as well, but it's a tad more formal than "Ich heiße ..."

Hope it helps! :-)