Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: GERMAN Language Help

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    So, I'm half german and speak German fluintly, so I hope I can help! Oh, and as I don't have the Umlaute on this computer, I'm using the 'e'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Enchanter

In the story I'm writing (Für Das Größere Wohl), the school of Durmstrang has three kinds of student prefects. There are about a dozen ordinary prefects, at least two in the middle rank, and one top prefect. So, what I'm wondering is, what would be a good name for the highest rank? Hauptpräfekt and Oberpräfekt are two names I've come up with, but which one would be higher than the other? Or do you have any alternative suggestions for titles?
    I'd go with ... Oberpraefekt because Germans usually use 'Ober' vor the highest stuff, like Highschool is (well, they have a different school system, so it's not completely right) Oberstufe, whereas 'Haubt' means 'main', which I guess works too, if you want this prefect to be the main prefect, not the top one.... but I wouldn't even use 'präfekt', it just doesn't sound right, sorry. In the books, I think they use 'Vertrauensschueler' , which means ... 'Trustpupil' (kind of), although you can use präfekt if yiou want, Durmstrang is a different school then Hogwarts, so they can hace different names... although I'd go with Vertrauensschueler.

[QUOTE=Tim the Enchanter]
    Also, as I do not trust internet translators, here are a few things I'd like to have in German:

A New World Eine Neue Welt
    Attack is Defence Attacke ist Defensive (word for word) Angriff ist zur Verteidigung/Abwehr
    “In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.” "In der Abwesenheit von Befehlen, geh (und) finde Etwas und bring es um"
    Durmstrang Institute for Magical Learning (das) Durmstrang Institut fuer das Magisches Lernen/Wissen
    Potions Class Zaubertrank Unterricht
    Defensive Magic Defensive Magie
    Herbology Kraeuterkunde
    Charms Zauberkunst
    History of Magic Geschichte
    Transfiguration Verwandlung

Okay, well, the classes and stuff I tried to remember how they said it in the german books, but I don't have it with me, so I'm not sure for the Durmstrang Institute one, but I think it's right.

Also, I have come across two different spellings of Soviet Union: Sowjetunion and Sovjetunion. Which one is the correct spelling, or are they both valid?
    It's Sowjetunion.

Lastly, what are some cultural stereotypes Germans have of Polish people? What about Russians?
    Ummm, I'll come back to this! I'm kinda supossed to be in bed. And this isn't what you're looking for, but it might help. I think Germans think of Poish people of poor. (Well, the country is way poorer than Germany)
    avvie by Annalise and banner Dinny/Evora - Becca, Lyss, Lise, Ronnie, ily <3
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

I have a few German questions.

In the story I'm writing (Für Das Größere Wohl), the school of Durmstrang has three kinds of student prefects. There are about a dozen ordinary prefects, at least two in the middle rank, and one top prefect. So, what I'm wondering is, what would be a good name for the highest rank? Hauptpräfekt and Oberpräfekt are two names I've come up with, but which one would be higher than the other? Or do you have any alternative suggestions for titles?
    As Andrea already pointed out, "Oberpräfekt" probably would be better. "Hauptpräfekt" would be something more general, someone who covers more duties etc, but not necessarily the one who holds the highest rank. If you want a comparison (for a completely different word), the Head Boy/Girl equivalent in Germany is "Schulsprecher" or "Schülersprecher". However, your "Oberpräfekt" sounds more... well, it has more authority to it, I think, and suits Durmstrang better.

A New World - Eine neue Welt
    Attack is Defence - Angriff ist die beste Verteidigung [note: actually this means "Attack is the best Defence", but it's a standing expression in German, so I think this would work well for you.]
    “In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.” - Andrea already translated this correctly. However, a less word-for-word translation would be "Solange es keine Befehle gibt, geh und find irgendwas was du umbringen kannst."
    Durmstrang Institute for Magical Learning - Durmstrang-Institut für Zauberei
    Potions Class - "Zaubertränke", or "Zaubertränke Unterricht"
    Defensive Magic - I'll check that in the book.. "Defensive Zauberei" sounds kind of familiar...
    Herbology - Kräuterkunde
    Charms - Zauberkunst
    History of Magic - Geschichte der Zauberei
    Transfiguration - Verwandlung

Also, I have come across two different spellings of Soviet Union: Sowjetunion and Sovjetunion. Which one is the correct spelling, or are they both valid?
    Actually, they are both valid. "Sowjetunion" is more common, "Sovjetunion", I think, is sometimes used in eastern Germany. If you want, I could check with someone who knows that kind of thing later today.

Lastly, what are some cultural stereotypes Germans have of Polish people? Of Russians?
    Mh.. I'm not that good with stereotypes, but there are a few very common ones. Polish people steal things, especially cars. Park your car in a Polish neighbourhood, and you're sure to find it in a second-hand car shop in Poland. (Sorry, no offense, I don't believe that, it's just things Germans make fun about). Same goes for bikes, car-stereos etc.

Now Russians, I don't know much about that... especially not in the time your fic is set. Today, I know that a friend of mine who lives more in the north-east is convinced that all Russians are in some kind of Mafia-organisation. Admittedly, I think in that city they are...

If you need more stereotypes, I could ask some friends of mine if they know any more.

Bitteschön!
    Kara
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Okaii, I came up with a few polish stereotypes. Or German stereotypes for polish people??? Anyway, Germans think polish people would marry ANYONE. There's even a game called 'polish wedding' (well, that's translated-Kara, do you know it?) Well, I don't want to explain the whole game- that would take way too long.... and also, Polish are dumb (well, they're not, obviusly, but you know, stereotypes.... -shakes head-) Like: How do you get a Polish out of a tree? You wave (haha...) and stuff like that....... And I agree eith Kara, Russians are shabby, untrustworthy...... that kind of jaz....
    Anyway, hope I helped!!!
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Raffles
    Kara and LuNaLoVeGoOdLoVer mentioned most of the stereotypes but Germans also seem to think that Russians drink a lot. Especially Vodca!

Hope that helped^^
    ~Raffles

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Thank you for all of your help. I have a very quick question:

I need a title for a high-ranking Auror-type position. I've come up with Upper/Over Commander, which I think in German is Oberer Kommandant. Is this correct? Or is it one word, as Oberkommandant? Am I completely wrong? Any other suggestions for ranks?

Thanks in advance,

Tim the Enchanter

WeirdoGoddess
    Oberkommandant would work, meaning, like you said, 'High Commander' or something of the like. It would probably be a fairly rare title given only to the uppermost authorities in the field, as opposed to just one of the more standard ranks.

---Era

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    I have another German question! This time, I would like a translation for some dialogue.

Context:
    Some of Grindelwald's men have just blown stuff up and killed a few people, and they have to Disapparate before anybody comes to investigate.

The Dialogue I'd like Translated:
    "All targets have been silenced, Sturmtruppenführer.”

“Very good. Sound the all-clear. We Disapparate to headquarters in three… two… one… OUT!”
    Also, what are the German words for Apparate/Apparation and Disapparate/Disapparation, in both their noun and verb forms?

Danke,

Tim the Enchanter

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Also, what are the German words for Apparate/Apparation and Disapparate/Disapparation, in both their noun and verb forms?
    Okay, verb form: apparieren
    noun form: das Apparieren
    I think. I'll go check in the books... Um, that should be right. I could only find the noun form, but ... Well, hope I helped!!!
    GO GO GRYFFINDOR

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by LuNaLoVeGoOdLoVer
    Okay, verb form: apparieren
    noun form: das Apparieren
    I think. I'll go check in the books... Um, that should be right. I could only find the noun form, but ... Well, hope I helped!!!
    Thanks, but I would also like a translation for the snippet of dialogue I posted, too...

Tim the Enchanter

Raffles
    Hello Tim,

I think I can help with translating the snippet:

"Alle Angriffsziele wurden beseitigt, Sturmtruppenführer.”

"Sehr gut. Leutet das grüne Licht*. Wir disaperatieren zum Hauptquartier** in drei... zwei... eins... AUS!"
    *You could also say: die Entwarnung or das Entwarnungssignal
    **You could also say: zu der Zentrale

Hope that helped
    ~Raffles