Thread: GERMAN Language Help

Hybrid View

ElectronicQuillster

GERMAN Language Help

A NOTE TO THOSE WHO WANT WORDS TRANSLATED:

I'm not gonna lie to you: online translators should not be held as the iron-clad rules when it comes to translating.

Remember that you might need to give a bit of background in order for someone to give you the best possible translation. (For example, verbs can change drastically when conjugated into different tenses. Also, many adjectives have masculine and feminine forms. If you give a translator a bit of context, he or she might tell you that a slang word would work best.)

Example:
    I need to know how to say, "Please get over here immediately." This is Harry talking to Ron through the Floo.
    A NOTE TO TRANSLATORS:

Anyone can use Google to find an online translator. There's nothing wrong with using these Internet tools, but translators should have at least a little knowledge of the language. (You don't have to be a native speaker, by any means.)

Please note: if you're not 100% comfortable with your translating skills, please state that.

Skulblaka
    I'd like to put myself out there for anyone who needs help. I've been taking German for 2 full years now, along with half a year in seventh grade, and have always done very well. I just spent three weeks actually in Germany back in July, so I have more knowledge than just class can give me. I also am currently having an affair with my German-English, English-German dictionary... but am willing to use it to help you out, if that's what you need.

Nessie
    Maybe I should advertise my services, too.

I'm a 23-year-old German, and an accredited P.I.-beta reader, as well as a memeber of the beta guild. (check my add in the beta guild section). I was born in Germany, and lived most of my life here, naturally speak it fluenty and could further assist with German Culture Help.
    Just post (or pm me with) any questions you might have, I'm looking forward to helping you!

I'm currently translating a stroy from German to English, so if you'd like to see a sample of my skills, check the link in my sig...

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    I'm fairly good at German, and I'd be glad to help. I'm fourteen years old, and have been speaking German since I was six (that's eight years for you mathematically challenged people, like myself). I take German 3 at my High School, and am fairly fluent, and I've also been to Germany, so I know a thing or two about German culture. I'm also excellent at German spelling (which isn't much of a feat, because it's outrageously easy), and not too shabby at grammar.

I don't know if I could translate an entire fic, but if you need some German snippets, I could definitely do that.

just_the_contrary
    Le first German question.

How do you say:

1. The Second (meaning like, the first, the second - not a measure of time)

2. In the gutter (literally)

3. Take my hand, and I'll save you from your misery

Thank you!

Skulblaka
    Ooh, yeah! I can help you here:

1. The Second--die Zweite

2. In the gutter--Im Abflussrinne

3. Take my hand, and I'll save you from your misery--Nimm meine Hand, und ich werde dich von deiner Misere retten. (if the person your character is talking to is a friend) or Nehmen Sie meine Hand, und ich werde dich von deiner Misere retten. (if your character is just an aquaintance with the person s/he is talking to)

I'm just a student of German, so I had to use a dictionary for a couple of these words -- native German speakers, please feel free to correct me. Hope that helps!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    I have a general German question....

What are some words or sounds in English that are difficult for native German speakers to say? What would a native German speaker pronounce very carefully in English or substitute with another easier to say word?

Edit: Thanks Bine! That's precisely what I needed to know.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    'th' is often difficult for us to pronounce. When I started English, it always came out as either 's' or 'z'. Some words containing 'th' still trouble me and other people I know. (My boss for example has difficulties with 'thresholds'.) In that case it's hard to find substitutes though, so we try to speak slowly and clearly, or hope that the others understand us. xD
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^