Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolf Scamander

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    I thought his grandfather was the famous naturalist. Do we ever find out what his parents did?
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by AidaLuthien
    I thought his grandfather was the famous naturalist. Do we ever find out what his parents did?
    I don't believe there is any canon evidense to tell us this, but with Rolf himself being a naturalist and his grandfather being one as well, it just seems very unlikely that both of Rolf's parents were bankers.

Keep in mind that Rolf's father was the one to be actually raised by the great Newt Scamander, and he was likely brought up to have a great respect for the science of Magizoology, and probably passed the same respect down to Rolf.

Then again, having Rolf grow up with parents who both had a certain distain for the outdoors could make for a good plot bunny. I don't buy into it myself, but it does sound like it could have the potential to make for a good story.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    There's always the possibility that he's not British. Rolf isn't an English name, it's a derivitive of Rudolph which is Germanic. Newt Scamander is his grandfather (or is it great-grandfather) and he's a naturalist. There's every opportunity for Newt to have married a foreign witch on his travels.

Personally I see Rolf as Scandanavian and several years younger than Luna (ten perhaps). She supposedly got married and had her twins quite a bit after the others got married. Meeting Rolf when she's in her thirties and on a expedition seems perfectly plausible.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Iguanarwhal
    I found in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them that Newt Scamander's wife's name is Porpentina, which clearly comes from porpentine, which apparently was Shakespeare's word for porcupine. Since her name comes from an obscure word from Shakespeare, I think she might be British. I don't know the first thing about etymology so take this conclusion with a grain of salt.

But being a son of Newt Scamander's, there's every possibility that Rolf's father married a woman from the continent (or even from a whole separate continent, for all we know.). Because of Newt Scamander's travels and Rolf's Germanic name, it's definitely fair to conclude that his mother is not British.

I do agree completely that Rolf is younger than Luna and that she had her children later (Which is why it bothers me when people include Lorcan and Lysander as contemporaries of Albus Severus, Rose and Scorpius.) than her friends.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    There's always the possibility that he's not British. Rolf isn't an English name, it's a derivitive of Rudolph which is Germanic. Newt Scamander is his grandfather (or is it great-grandfather) and he's a naturalist. There's every opportunity for Newt to have married a foreign witch on his travels.

Personally I see Rolf as Scandanavian and several years younger than Luna (ten perhaps). She supposedly got married and had her twins quite a bit after the others got married. Meeting Rolf when she's in her thirties and on a expedition seems perfectly plausible.

~Carole~

Yes, the name Rolf has Scandinavian origins, according to several name websites. I agree with the idea that he probably attended a foreign Magical School--most likely in Sweden .

I can't see him at Durmstrang, though. His parents/grandparents don't seem particularly Dark, and Durmstrang specializes in DA.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    I can't see him at Durmstrang, though. His parents/grandparents don't seem particularly Dark, and Durmstrang specializes in DA.
    Hmm. Remember that not everyone who goes to Durmstrang is going to be Dark wizards. After all, Krum wasn't. It may have a bit of a reputation for the Dark Arts, but not everyone is going to to have Death Eaters for parents. In fact, I imagine that during the Voldemort years, when Rolf was probably at school, there would be more children of Dark wizards at Hogwarts than Durmstrang. Grindlewald's time is over well before Rolf would have gone. Just because the emphasis is on the Dark Arts doesn't mean that all of the students are Dark, just like not all children who go to Sports Colleges are sporty, or Language Colleges are good at languages.

Plus, we don't really know what his parents or grandparents would have believed. All we have is a name and a book Newt Scamander is supposed to have written on magical creatures. We don't know his views on Dark wizards because he doesn't share them. He could have been a pureblood supremist for all we know.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!