Thread: Percy Weasley

Hybrid View

ronnyc718

Percy Weasley

Okay, I'm fairly certain Percy doesn't have his own thread running around somewhere, and I don't think he qualifies as a minor character, so I am now (for the first time) starting my own thread.

I see Percy as the "what if" version of Hermione. What if Hermione hadn't fought that troll with Harry and Ron? She could have become like Percy. If Percy hadn't broken ties with his family, he would have been more like Hermione: following rules only until it conflicted with his loyalties.

I do actually have a question buried up there. I'm in the middle of a fic where Percy meets someone he inherently trusts. He can objectively state that he has no reason to trust the person, although he has no reason to distrust the person either. Would he go with that feeling and confide in that person, or is he too logical to follow his instincts?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

AurorKeefy
    How old is Percy when the question is asked?

I believe that Percy would be firmly withdrawn unless he had a logical reason to trust the person if he was under 12, his experiences with rules and his family (I read a marvelous article/essay on the weasley family somewhere nearby, which regrettably I can't quote off hand...wait a second...no, I tell a lie, here it is http://www.hp-lexicon.org/essays/ess...-dynamics.html) that suggest the former is unlikely.

Again, after the age of about 14-15, I believe Percy would be regripping on his logic for friendship and becoming the Percy we know from J.K.'s books.

HOWEVER.

Much akin to Ginny in Chamber of Secrets (am I alone in the belief that boys become like this somewhat later than girls?), from 12-14/15 Percy would be very much suffering from a lack of friends at a crucial time in his life, and would seek help where he found it. I still don't believe he would approach a friendship COMPLETELY without logic, but he would certainly be far less questioning than on either side.

Vague as it is, hope that helps!

An opening thought anyway. I'd be interested to see what you/other people make of it.

Sly Severus
    I'm in the middle of a fic where Percy meets someone he inherently trusts. He can objectively state that he has no reason to trust the person, although he has no reason to distrust the person either. Would he go with that feeling and confide in that person, or is he too logical to follow his instincts?
    I don't think Percy is really the type of person to confide in anyone, for any reason. I think when it comes to his real feelings and emotions, he prefers to keep them to himself. I can't think of a conversation when Percy tells anyone what he is feeling, or a conversation when anyone talks about how Percy felt about something. I think he's a very private person, and that he would never confide in someone he hardly knows.

Actually, the only time I ever remember hearing about Percy showing emotion was when he moved out of his house. He got really angry. And anger is a different emotion, sometimes much harder to hide. So I think, with the exception of this one outburst that Percy is somewhat withdrawn.

Hope that helps!

ronnyc718
    Hmm... Regretable that I didn't clarify more. My fic is set in what would be Harry's 7th year, so Percy is around 21. It's (mostly) canon, meaning that Percy is still not with his family. He's basically alone right now, at least until he meets this person. I know I'm being really vague, but I don't want to give too many details.

Thanks for replying guys! Already, I have alot to think about.

AurorKeefy
    Hmm. How then would a twenty-one year old Percy react to such a thing? Interesting indeed.

The Percy in this context is, in my way of seeing things, both emotionally stubborn and vulnerable. His resoluteness to his beliefs two years ago have surely cost him dearly in this area. Had he been more committed to his family's way of thinking, then he would have been correct about the way things were to unfold (something I believe that would bother Percy tremendously). As it stands, he has alienated both his family by being overtly logical (form the information available to him) and proved himself wrong in doing so.
    I see Percy questioning his faith in logic at this stage, but also being too proud to return to his family for guidance and support (though the incident with Bill may have shaken him considerably). As a result of this, it would be predictable for Percy to give something of his overwhelming emotions into this person primarily, while the logic takes the back seat. In spite of this however, while the logic in Percy becomes somewhat supressed, his trust in this person would never be absolute - his inherent belief in logic would be too much for this. With this in mind, Percy would slowly let out details, but never everything. Should he even suspect for a second that the person was working for Voldemorte (for that surely is the question) or was simply prying too deeply, I feel he would use the opportunity to run back to his family with information about the person. In doing so, I believe he would feel he could erase the mistakes of the previous years honourably - whether or not the person was truly a supporter of you-know-who.

On a complete side-note, I find it utterly unfathomable that J.K. Rowling can complete her seventh book without asking these questions and answering them. So I'd either wait until she completes it, or hurry up and beat her to it!

ronnyc718
    I can't thank you guys enough for your words. You shaped the story in ways you don't even know. Seriously, I completely re-shaped a chapter after reading through this thread. Thanks for working me out of a corner.

On a related note, the first chapter of this fic just got validated. Check out Flawed Perception if you get a chance.