Thread: Sirius Black's wand. What is it made of?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

Sirius Black's wand. What is it made of?

Hello,

What I need to know is if there's any information on Sirius Black's wand. I've tried the Lexicon but they have '?' under wand.

I'd like to know length, core and wood. If there's any canon evidence about this then great but if not how do I go about choising the wand for the wizard?

Any help appreciated.

My plan is that he'll get a duplicate wand after escaping from Azkaban.

Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I found a useful little table for coming up with wands for wizards. I'll post it here for you.

• Phoenix Feather – Very Magical.
    • Dragon Heartstring – Hexes are a specialty of this core.
    • Unicorn Tail – Best for the pure of heart.
    • Leprechaun Hair – Somewhat temperamental to Non-Irish.
    • Demiguise Hair – Only the best for Transfiguration.
    • Hippogriff Talon – Excellent for Charm Work.
    • Runespoor Fang – Best for those who deal with Dark Magic.
    • Hair from the Mane of a Kelpie – Superb for all spells.
    • Chimaera Scale – Very rare, yet very powerful.
    • Ashwinder Ash – Casts the best protection charms.

The Druids were also responsible for the keeping of the Celtic Calendar. They created a system of classifications for wood that is similar to horoscopes, a set of beliefs which are almost as old as man himself. To a special group of 13 magical trees, they identified the period of days that affects the personality and future of the person born during that period. This is the Celtic Tree Calendar:

Birch: December 24 to January 20
    Rowan: January 21 to February 17
    Ash: February 18 to March 17
    Alder: March 18 to April 14
    Willow: April 15 to May 12
    Hawthorn: May 13 to June 9
    Oak: June 10 to July 7
    Holly: July 8 to August 4
    Hazel: August 5 to September 1
    Vine: September 2 to September 29
    Ivy: September 30 to October 27
    Reed: October 28 to November 24
    Elder: November 25 to December 22

Here's the link to the full article.

And here's some more useful information on wands. It came from an online quiz, so it's not exactly straight from the horse's mouth, but it's still a lot of fun.

Apple:
    It is an old English custom to drink to the health of the Apple tree with a good glass of cider all in hopes of encouraging the tree to produce a good crop next year. The apple tree symbolizes youth, beauty and innocence. Apple Wood wands are well suited for healing spells, and is an especially good kind of wand as it also helps to focus the energy very well. Apple wood wands tend to choose those who are slightly immature, or have a great youthful sprit. The wands tend to not respond well to those who do not fit it's temperament, and in fact are very unpopular among wand thieves as it tends to ignore the orders of others altogether.
    Apple's personality is Motherly
    Element: Water

Ash:
    Ash is a healing wood. It is also used for protection. The Ash is considered to be the father of trees. The Ash is the tree of sea power, or of the power resident in water, Snakes have an innate fear of the ash and avoid it. Ash wands tend to choose those who prize status or command respect among their peers, and as a good conductor of energy this wood makes exceptional wands.
    Ash's personality is Charming
    Element: Air

Aspen:
    Aspen is an excellent wood for spoken spells. It brings the wizard eloquence, it is also associated with beauty and is a good wand for defensive spells.
    Aspen's personality is Caring
    Elemental: Water

Birch:
    With the exception of the mysterious elder, the Birch is the earliest of the forest trees. Though they make beautiful, smooth wands with a nice sheen if polished, birch is nevertheless known for it's 'flaky' qualities. The bearer of this wand could not be more different, in fact those who find a Birch wand has chosen them tend to be some of the most logical thinkers or strategists. These wands excel at driving out evil spirits, and for Purification spells. They are also very good for spells involving structures, support, shielding, warding, and cleansing.
    Birch's personality is Happy
    Element: Air

Cherry:
    Cherry wands are not only exceptionally beautiful, but also very useful. These wands excel in Divination spells, and the bearer often has an innate talent for diving things or else a strong intuition.

Chestnut:
    Chestnut wands tend to choose the witch or wizard who has a strong connection with their past - whether for good or ill. These wands are especially good for luck or love spells and excel at Charms work. These wands tend to choose a strong male but, of course, will sometimes choose strong females as well. Either way the bearer of a chestnut wand usually possesses the capability of being a great leader.

Ebony:
    Ebony is a fine-quality, rather costly dark wood that is hard and durable. It also carries a beautiful black luster when polished, radiating a certain air of cold-shouldered class and expensive taste. This wand-holder is usually rather stubborn and shuns outsiders, remaining rather secretive of their core being. They also tend to be natural born leaders, commanding respect even if grudgingly. Ebony is the most powerful wood used in wands, and can give the user what may seem to be unlimited power.

Elder:
    A waterside tree, the Elder has white flowers that bloom to their peak in midsummer. Elder wands are very good for protective spells, as well as sleeping charms. These wands tend to choose those whose heart may seem almost too big, and who have a strong set of morals, particularly when it involves those weaker than themselves.
    Elder's personality is Intelligent
    Element: Earth

Hawthorn:
    Hawthorn is one of the three sacred Irish trees (along with Oak and Ash) and its wands have what could be considered a dual personality. They produce strong spells for those to which they belong. Equally effective for Dark magic as it is for good, the possessor of this wand has the potential to wield great power. The duplicity of legend runs deep in the wood of the Hawthorn and therefore it is excellent for protective and defensive magic as well as Charms. Those who possess this wand usually have strong powers of divination and heightened intuition.
    Hawthorn's personality is passionate.
    Element: Fire

Holly:
    Holly is the strongest of the protective woods. It is used to guard against evil in fact Holly means "holy". Holly wands excel at combat, defense, and protection spells. It is also useful in glamour's and warding. This wand tends to pick an owner who's brave and pure of heart, not to mention has a high intelligence.
    Holly's personality is Determined

Koa:
    Koa wood wands excel at spells involving luck, and will often choose a wizard or witch that seem to already have a natural abundance of good luck. Koa wands tend to be a finicky, and are picky about who they will work for, often causing undesired effects if you are not the wands real bearer. These are also a good wand for Charms work as well.

Mahogany:
    Mahogany wands are not also beautiful, but also fairly rare. These wands are good for cleansing spells but also for defensive or protection spells as well. The bearer of a Mahogany wand may be a little insecure, and often worries about what others think of them.

Maple:
    Maple is a favorite wood for magical wands and has an excellent longevity. Maple wood often symbolizes attraction, luring, drawing in, or bringing things together. It has very positive energy. This wand tends to choose those who have a love an appreciation for beautiful things. It is an excellent wand for love spells and also for Divination.

Oak:
    Oak is a potent magical wood and adds potency to all charms, particularly health and money charms. The Oak is the tree of endurance and triumph, and tends to choose those who are strong not only physically or mentally, but also emotionally as well. The Oak is a male wood, so the female bearer may be more masculine than her peers. Oaks also stands for endurance, triumph, strength, power, dominion, prosperity, sacrifice, guardian and liberator and symbolizes wisdom, strength, and endurance. These wands excel in spells involving strengthening charms or wisdom seeking, as well as being good for Transfiguration work.
    Oaks personality is Fatherly

Olive:
    Olive wands tend to choose the witch or wizard who possess above average intelligence, not to mention often an overactive imagination. Olive wands are also a favorite of healers and are especially good not only for healing but also for protective spells. Many believe the bearers of Olive wands to be good at decision making - but this is not necessarily so. The owner of an olive wand may be decisive but that does not mean their decisions are the right ones. On the other side of the coin they may be so busy worrying about what is right that they are unable to ever reach a conclusion.
    Olive's personality is peaceful

Poplar:
    Poplar wands tend to choose the witch or wizard who is bound for success, but the bearer may also be a bit insecure and crave more than their fair share of the limelight. These wands excel at spells involving flying or money and luck spells.

Rosewood:
    Rosewood wands are rare because these wands tend to be very picky. A Rosewood wand tends to choose one who has a deep inner peace or spirituality, which considering it excels at Love charms is probably a good thing. Rosewood wands are also good for healing magic as well.

Teak:
    Teak is a feminine tree, and as such wands made from it tend to choose female bearers or else those with a feminine side, especially those who are considered to have a pure spirit or else who may be almost child-like. A teak wand is especially good at protective spells as well as healing and love charms, not to mention cheerfulness charms..
    Teak's personality is Wise
    Element: Water

Tulip:
    Tulip is a very feminine wood, and often chooses females or those with a natural caring nature, often considered to have a natural motherly personality. Tulip wands are excellent for shield and protection charms, as well as comforting magic.

Walnut:
    Those with a walnut wand tend to be clear headed, strong and also tend to lean towards the healing arts. In fact, most healers find themselves with a Walnut wand. These wands are good for any kind of healing or Purification spell. Back

Yew:
    Yew is the Wood of Death. Used for its strength for bows in Greek times. The yew tree's branches grow into the ground, thus when the central trunk dies, the tree lives on as the branches become trees. It symbolizes transformation, great age, and reincarnation. Yew is especially good in spells involving spirits or raising the dead, and also in the dark arts, as well as in defense magic and shield charms.
    Yew's personality is Enduring.
    Element: Earth

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Kelpie Hair:
    Kelpie hair comes from the mane of a Kelpie, a water demon commonly found in Britton and Ireland, who often takes the shape of a horse. The most famous Kelpie is referred to by Muggles as the Loch Ness monster. Kelpie's are adaptable creatures, and thus the wand is a good core for most types of magic, but especially water magic.

Phoenix Feather:
    The Phoenix Feather comes from the tail feathers of a Phoenix, and is especially good with fire or defensive magic, as well as healing magic. This may be due largely to the healing properties Phoenixes have.

Unicorn hair:
    Unicorn Hair is best for those with pure intentions, and is almost never wielded by someone intending to use their wand for evil purposes. Especially good for love, defense and healing magic.

Gryffon Feather:
    The gryffon originated in Greece, having the head and front legs of an eagle, but the hind quarters of a lion. Gryffon feathers are used in wands of wizards or witches who posses great strength whether physically, magically or emotionally. These wands are especially good for both offensive and defensive magic.

Veela Hair:
    Veela hair tends to be a bit unstable, and often favors a witch or wizard with a like temperament. Handy for Transfiguration in the right hands, not a very good choice for Charms work.

Dragon Heartstring:
    Wands with Dragon Heartstring cores are excellent for hexes, or for dueling, not to mention fire magic. They tend to choose a witch or wizard who is strong not only physically, but also emotionally, and who usually has very strong opinions on things, though they often tend to be strong willed and thickheaded as well.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Kate Skeffington
    There's no canon info on Sirius' wand that I know of

BUT I remember reading somewhere (maybe on JK's site, or on some interview?) that the length of the wand was proportional to the wizards' height. And this is what I found on JK's site about wood...

I gave Harry a wand made of holly wood back in 1990, when I first drafted chapter six of 'Philosopher's stone'. It was not an arbitrary decision: holly has certain connotations that were perfect for Harry, particularly when contrasted with the traditional associations of yew, from which Voldemort's wand is made of. European tradition has it that the holly tree (the name comes from 'holy') repels evil, while yew, which can achieve astonishing longevity (there are British yew trees over two thousand years old), can symbolise both death and resurrection; the sap is also poisonous
    It's on JK's site, in the Extra's section under miscellaneous yeah, I'm too lazy to copy the whole thing out. There's about two or three parragraphs more, in one JK says that some time after assigning Harry a holly wood wand she discovered that according to the celtic calendary she had given Harry the right wand.

I came across a description of how the Celts had assigned trees to different parts of the year and discovered that, entirely by coincidence, I had assigned Harry the 'correct' wood for his day of birth.
    and then..

I have only used the celtic assignations for Ron and Hermione. Hagrid, for instance, has an oak wand though by this celtic system he should have a wand made of elder; in Britain the oak is 'King of the forest' and symbolises strength, protection and fecundity(...) In any case, I liked having a hidden connection between Harry, Ron and Hermione's wands that only I knew about (until now, anyway).
    And this is what's posted on her site about the Celtic system.

Dec 24-Jan 20-- Birch (Beth)
    Jan 21- Feb 17--Rowan (Luis)
    Feb 18- Mar 17--Ash (Nion)
    Mar 18- Apr 14-- Alder (Fearn)
    Apr 15- May 12-- Willow (Saille)
    Mar13- June 9-- Hawthorn (Huath)
    June 10- Jul 7-- Oak (Duir)
    Jul 8- Aug 4-- Holly (Tinne)
    Aug 5- Sep 1-- Hazel (Coll)
    Sep2- Sep 29-- Vine (Muin)
    Sep 30- Oct 27-- Ivy (Gort)
    Oct 28- Nov 24-- Reed (Ngetal)
    Nov 25- Dec 23-- Elder (Ruis)
    As for core...I think OliveOil's chart makes a lot of sense

I found this bit on Jk's site:
    I've decided that the core of the Elder wand is the tail hair of a Threstal; a powerful and tricky substance that can be mastered only by a witch or wizard capable of facing death
    Maybe try looking for distinctive characteristics of magical creatures and use that to define the core for your wands.

And here you can find a bit of wand info from the Lexicon: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/magic/wands.html

Hope I've been of some help!

*Mila*

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Well, we don't really know according to canon when Sirius' birthday is, unless you decided to come up with your own for your story. But think for the core, dragon heartstring is the best bet, followed by pheonix feather.

Here are some woods that sound like they could work for him:
    Chestnut:
    Chestnut wands tend to choose the witch or wizard who has a strong connection with their past - whether for good or ill. These wands are especially good for luck or love spells and excel at Charms work. These wands tend to choose a strong male but, of course, will sometimes choose strong females as well. Either way the bearer of a chestnut wand usually possesses the capability of being a great leader.

Koa:
    Koa wood wands excel at spells involving luck, and will often choose a wizard or witch that seem to already have a natural abundance of good luck. Koa wands tend to be a finicky, and are picky about who they will work for, often causing undesired effects if you are not the wands real bearer. These are also a good wand for Charms work as well.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    The chart was incredibly helpful and as Sirius was exceptional as Transfiguration I've chosen Demiguise hair as the core.

I'm not using the Celtic calender, for although it worked foir Harry, it didn't for James or Lily who were Mahogony and Willow, and not Alder and Birch, as the calender suggests.

I don't see Chestnut or Koa because they're supposedly more for Charms work, although I like the idea of the strong male. I might go for Oak unless someone comes up with a compelling reason to say no.

Thank you both for your help. This really is fascinating. It's a shame it's only one line in the story!

Seriously, though, I'll use it again in my chaptered fic.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    The chart was incredibly helpful and as Sirius was exceptional as Transfiguration I've chosen Demiguise hair as the core.
    But remember, Ollivander said he only uses unicorn hair, phoenix feathers, and dragon heartstrings. Unless you can somehow work it into your story that he got his wand from somewhere else.

As far as oak goes, it could work, but is also the wood that Hagrid's wand is made of, if this somehow influences your decision.

Brand New Story!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    You're right. I'd totally missed that Ollivander only used three types of wand core.

Ah- ha - Dragon heartstrings seem to sum up Mr Black rather well.

They tend to choose a witch or wizard who is strong not only physically, but also emotionally, and who usually has very strong opinions on things, though they often tend to be strong willed and thickheaded as well.
    Oak, yes, I know it's Hagrid's wand as well, which was why I was wavering. However It's a good Transfiguration wood and it's a very male wand.

Many, many thanks for your continued help on this. It's quite fascinating.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by minnabird