Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School nurse or Healer?

Kate Skeffington
    Hmm, good point Allie. But how serious are Remus' injuries after a full moon? I mean, I know they're pretty bad (gashes, bites etc, it must be quite nasty) but I don't think they'd be that difficult to care for...I think it would be the same spell/potion needed for a student who had a bad fall, or was involved in a duel but in a higher intensity. I'm not sure if that makes sense to any of you, though

I do think Madam Pomfrey is qualified to work at St Mungo's (assuming she's like a nurse...and that nurses can work there)and to care for serious injuries, but does she have the same training as a healer? I remember when Katie Bell was cursed (or hexed, or jinxed...still haven't figure out the difference,lol) in HBP she had to be taken to St Mungo's because the severity of her condition, or because the spell put on her was too dark for Madam Pomfrey to handle.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    Okay, I read the beginning and skimmed the rest, so I apologise if this seems a bit repetitive of previous posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Skeffington
    Hmm, good point Allie. But how serious are Remus' injuries after a full moon? I mean, I know they're pretty bad (gashes, bites etc, it must be quite nasty) but I don't think they'd be that difficult to care for...I think it would be the same spell/potion needed for a student who had a bad fall, or was involved in a duel but in a higher intensity. I'm not sure if that makes sense to any of you, though
    I agree with you here - I don't think that Remus' injuries wouldn't be of the type that required treatment too far above the normal for her to care for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Skeffington
    I do think Madam Pomfrey is qualified to work at St Mungo's (assuming she's like a nurse...and that nurses can work there)and to care for serious injuries, but does she have the same training as a healer? I remember when Katie Bell was cursed (or hexed, or jinxed...still haven't figure out the difference,lol) in HBP she had to be taken to St Mungo's because the severity of her condition, or because the spell put on her was too dark for Madam Pomfrey to handle.
    I think that Madam Pomfrey would be like the school nurses at Muggle schools - they can deal with the 'everyday' things (i.e. stomach ache, headache, shallow cut, etc.) that might come up in a school day (obviously, Hogwarts would have a slightly more varied definition of 'everyday things' than my high school) but there are certain things that the school nurse can't handle. Katie Bell being cursed is slightly out of Madam Pomfrey's relm, just like a kid with a broken arm or a deep gash requiring stitches would be sent to the hospital in my school.
    Obviously Madam Pomfrey has had some extensive training in Healing, (she can keep students in the Hospital Wing and care for them for however long need be) so she would be able to help out in St. Mungo's if needed.

Hope this helped!
    -Ayra

iDrabble iWrite

Lovely banner by Riham (padfoot_returns)
    Avvie by Samarie (Love_is_4ever)

That which cannot break you will only make you stronger.

Kate Skeffington
    Yup, I think I'm going to go with Healers and nurses (or maybe I'll call them something like auxiliaries (sp?)) for my fic.

On a different topic, how far does magical healing go?Do you think healers are able to perform say...brain surgery?I can't imagine them doing something like that! I imagine they'd point their wands to the patient's head and say a spell or something...but I don't know, it sounds kinda ridiculous. And what about genetic diseases? down syndrome? Or even psychiatric conditions? Was there a psychiatric ward at St Mungo's? How different do you think wizard therapy is from muggle therapy?

I know this has been asked before, and I'm pretty sure there is a thread for this, so if anyone can post a link, that's great. Any thoughts are very appreciated, anyway!