Thread: A Muggle at Hogwarts?

GobbledegookMuggle

A Muggle at Hogwarts?

I recently tried submitting a story to Mugglenet, only to be told that my story does not comply with canon. The non-canon part of my fanfic was, I have been told, that a Muggle made it pass the barrier between Platforms 9 and 10, and then hopped the train to Hogwarts. Does anyone have any ideas in which a Muggle could make it to Hogwarts that complies with canon? Your ideas would be very much appreciated.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    It may be that the barriar has some kind of charm on it that can regognize if someone is a wizard or not. It would make sense that every now and again someone would see a child running through the platform out of the corner of the eye, and eventually, someone would be crazy enough to try it themselves. And a lot of times, crazy people are also considered dangerous, and I would think the school would do everything in it's power to keep its students safe.

We know that Muggles can come to Diagon Aley if accompanied by a witch or a wizard, like we saw with Hermione's parents in book 2. We know that the school is protected by Dillusionment chamrs that makes the castle look like ruins, but we're not sure if a Muggle would eventually find Hogwarts if they just kept walking. I've never heard anything about the platform, so I'm not a hundred percent sure if Muggles can pass through. But a general rule I use with canon is that if I don't know and can't find an answer, unless I can come up with a VERY good explaination, I leave it alone.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I have a brilliant idea! You know how some new students decide to run through the barrier instead of just walking through? Perhaps some Muggle is at King's Cross, and suddenly he sees a kid with a cart running straight at the wall! This Muggle good Samaritan rushes forward and grabs the cart to stop the child from crashing, but then he is pulled through the barrier!

Then the Muggle suddenly finds himself at Platform 9 3/4, and very confused...

Tim the Enchanter

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I have another addition to add add to that idea. What if a Muggle can only pass through the barriar if they are essentially joined at the hip to a witch or wizard. Once the kid passes through, the Muggle gets stuck and on the other side, the kids all see a flailing arm and part of a shoulder.

And knowing kids, they would definantly not just leave it alone...

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

youaremylifenow
    I read a story once where a muggle, who didn't know she was a witch, passed through the barrier. She wasn't supposed to attend Hogwarts (actucally she was an eleven-year-old muggle pick pocket). Anyways when she arrives at Hogwarts, they do some bloodwork to confirm she is witch.

So maybe your character can have some magical blood? It's not said cannon but it makes sense. Not just pupils pass through the barrier. Parents and friends (Sirius Black) do too. I think it is of magical blood.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I read a story once where a muggle, who didn't know she was a witch, passed through the barrier. She wasn't supposed to attend Hogwarts (actucally she was an eleven-year-old muggle pick pocket). Anyways when she arrives at Hogwarts, they do some bloodwork to confirm she is witch.
    Except if she really were a witch, she wouldn't necessarily need blood work. Remember, Hogwarts has a quill that records the births of every magical child in the country. They could just look up her name to see if it was there. And if she was from another country, they would certainly have a means of keeping track of their own magical births. They could find a way to contact someone at one of the schools there and find out that way too.

Brand New Story!

Inverarity
    Are you sure it was just the fact of the Muggle passing through the barrier at Platform 9 3/4 that got your story rejected? Because if that were the only sticking point, and the rest of the story was okay, then it's not hard to come up with some way to get a Muggle to Hogwarts. Other people have already suggested a few. I'd assume that one way or another, wizards could bring a Muggle to Hogwarts if they really wanted to.

However, it sounds like your story was about a Muggle who just stumbles into Platform 9 3/4 and hops the Hogwarts Express. What exactly is the explanation for this, and what happens when the Muggle boards the train? Even if we assume a Muggle could get on the train in the first place, he or she would probably be removed immediately, and probably Obliviated. What exactly was your plot? Does the Muggle somehow "blend in" and pass for a wizarding child, and get all the way to Hogwarts? Because I can see a story like that getting rejected unless you manage to make it very convincing and original.

Basically, I think we need to know more than just "How does a Muggle get to Hogwarts?"

bellaoc
    I recently tried submitting a story to Mugglenet, only to be told that my story does not comply with canon. The non-canon part of my fanfic was, I have been told, that a Muggle made it pass the barrier between Platforms 9 and 10, and then hopped the train to Hogwarts. Does anyone have any ideas in which a Muggle could make it to Hogwarts that complies with canon?
    Here's the problem. You're trying to get it to be canon-compliant. It's not going to be canon. You'd have to submit it as an AU story. JKR stated that Muggles couldn't see Hogwarts, in one of the books, im not sure which. So if you submit your story as an AU story, then it should get accepted!
    --Bella

padfoot_returns
    Well, didn't Hermione's parents make it through the barrier? If so, then maybe you can make that Muggle related to someone who is a wizard/witch and they went through the barrier to see them off.

But if it's just some random Muggle who wanted to just "fall through" the barrier, then no, I do not think that it possible

xxRiham