Thread: House-elf Height

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

House-elf Height

Exactly how tall is a House-elf? Eighteen inches? Two feet? Three feet? All the resources only say they are short, and I'm not sure if the books ever give a clear answer to this?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Rhi for HP
    I've always imagined about three feet tall-- two feet is ridiculously tiny, so maybe just the children would be that small. Four feet is getting near human size, which they certainly aren't.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    I don't think there's anything that says exactly how tall they are in the books, but I don't think you'd find any House Elves taller than a metre.

Tim the Enchanter

bellaoc
    I've always imagined about three feet tall
    Yeah I agree. I know its not technically canon, but if you look at the movies, to where Kreacher and Dobby come up to the characters, you can get some rough estimates. She never truly states that they stand at so and so feet tall, but I would say around three feet or so.
    --Bella

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Three feet, okay. If they were any shorter, they probably wouldn't be much use as servants, right?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    In GoF(chp28), it was stated that Dobby only came up to Harry's navel. So, having them around three feet would be about right. As with humans, I am sure there are some who are a bit shorter and some who are a bit taller.

It is very hard to tell the difference between males and females. Generally, females are said to have a higher, squeakier (GoF 8) pitched voice.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House