Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Drabble Challenge - A Thousand Words: Love Found - Results

Ebil Gato Loco Ravenclaw
    He's The Dog... He's An Animagus...

Weekly Drabble Challenge - A Thousand Words: Love Found - Results

“Love is like wildflowers; It's often found in the most unlikely places.”

Your prompt this week is one that the Ebil One has posted before: WDC - ATW: Lost Love with a fresh twist instead of losing a loved one, the character you choose is finding him/her.

Your challenge is to write a drabble using four of the seven pictures linked below. You must integrate the pictures into your drabble. I know the challenge is called a thousand words, but remember drabbles are no more than 500 words.

The following form must be used when submitting your drabble responses to this post -
    PHP Code:
    [b]Name:[/b]
    [
    b]House:[/b]
    [
    b]Title:[/b]
    [
    b]Warnings:[/b]
    [
    b]Word Count:[/b]
    [
    b]Authors Notes:[/b
    Winners will be awarded 15, 10, and 5 points respectively.

All drabbles must be less than 500 words; All standard grammar rules, and MNFF submissions guidelines apply.

The challenge will be up for a week, and be closed exactly a week later (January 17th).

All questions should be referred to the Question Corner #4 - Do not post questions here. Only drabbles!

TTB Decree for the Weeklies:
    Due to a major lack of quality drabbles being submitted to the weeklies, Gato Loco will require that some real thoughtful, original submissions be posted from this moment on or you'll end up like this woman here. That's your one and only warning! XD

Other than that...have fun!

~Ebil One

I've left moddom/fandom...though don't be surprised if I get caught lurking once in a blue moon.
    All questions pertinent to Ravenclaw need to be sent to ToBeOrNotToBeAGryffindor
    If you wish to keep in touch, feel free to friend me on LJ - I don't friend anyone under the age of 18. Sorry!

Otherwise, so long, and thanks for all the fish!

youaremylifenow
    Name: youaremylifenow (Alex)
    House: Gryffindor!
    Title: Stella
    Warnings: character death
    Word Count: 499
    Authors Notes: I kind of twisted the prompt a bit, but I'm pretty sure it's still in line with what you want. And I had to cut a good two-hundred and fifty words out of it, so if it seems stinted (which I tried really hard to get rid of, that's why.)

I remember the year when I was eight and Stella was seven the best.

Stella had just learned to read when Mum decided it was time for the twins to come out. She wanted to know why Mum had pinned a note to her shirt.

“Can the twins read the note from inside her stomach? When they’re not even born yet?” She asked me, anxiously, afraid that she was stupid for not being able to read sooner.

“No,” I rolled my eyes, “She’s being funny.”

“Sorry,” Stella said sadly. I felt sorry for making her feel dumb.

“Hey, do you want to go to the creek?” I didn’t like the water much, but Stella loved it. I knew it would make her feel better.

We played tag all the way to the pond that separated our houses. I remember that she stopped suddenly and I bumped into her.

“Look! It’s corn!” She said, all excited, because nobody loved corn more than Stella. Even though it was dirty, and covered in mud, she took a few bites of it.

“Ew!” I cried, taking the corn from her, “That’s gross! Let me wipe off the mud first!”

Stella grimaced at me but let me clean her snack. After two more bites she was done and took off towards the water.

Stella went to the creek’s edge and sat down. “Bill, will you teach me how to swim?”

“No!”

Her face fell.

I could tell Stella thought it was because she was unteachable. She didn’t know it was because I was embarrassed that I had never learned how to swim.

I was planning on lying to her, but when I looked at her, I couldn’t. She seemed so incredibly sad that I couldn’t bear to make it worse.

“I don’t know how to swim either, Stella,” I said softly.

She was looking down, but when I told her my most embarrassing secret, her eyes met mine. She wasn’t angry, as I thought she would be. Instead, she looked comforted.

Without another word, Stella reached up on her tip-toes and kissed me.

Stella said later that she would always remember that day because it was the first day she didn’t feel alone.

Many years have past since then. I fell in love with Stella when I was twelve. I wrote her a goofy love letter when I was fourteen. I gave her a half-eaten tray of her favorite food, coconut bread when I was sixteen. I proposed to her when I was eighteen. I buried her when I was twenty.

Some people call it “losing” Stella. It’s true, I guess. She did die, and I will never see her again. But when I decide to let myself feel all the pain she left me with, I find something surprising. I get to relive all the good memories, too. I guess I “lost” Stella. The funny thing is, though, that I can find her anytime I want. All I have to do is remember.

MorganRay

Newlyweds

Name:MorganRay
    House:Hufflepuff
    Title:Newlyweds
    Warnings:None (Fluffy. Especially for me.)
    Word Count: 478
    Authors Notes: This is based around the empty chair picture, the turtle, the bread pudding, and the ears of corn.

The clock ticked softly against the wall as the witch entered the room followed by a trail of water. The rain pattered against the window and washed the colours of the room into shades of grey. The woman’s hair, all of its red colour washed out by the rain, hung limp and wet against her face. She didn’t seem to notice but stared unseeingly down at the wooden table, and out of habit, she perched on the edge of the cheap coffee table.

She stared out the window for a moment, thinking of all the days the sunshine had shot through those panes. On those days, their cheap, little living room shone with the warmth of a real home. She remembered how she would sit on the table while he slumped down into the armchair. He would grin up at her before absentmindedly ruffling his hair. Then, he would pick up one of the silly Muggle magazines he swiped from somewhere and begin to read it like it was a comic book.

On the table now lay a tattered copy of some nature magazine with a huge, red turtle swimming through glassy water. She smiled as she remembered how she would come in the room at the sound of his laughter and ask what he was reading. One day, he held up a cooking magazine and insisted they try and make some of the food. She grinned at the memory of how he managed to burn the two ears of corn and griped about how it wasn’t a fair competition because she learned how to cook like a Muggle when she was little. In the end, they came back to their favorite room and ate her bread pudding together.

As the witch looked at the cold, empty chair, she sighed. They both knew how cheap their furniture was, but they didn’t have money to spend on a new living room set. When the rain pattered, and the sun went away, the witch found herself imaging him in that empty chair. She saw him grinning up at her as she walked into the room and took her signature seat on the edge of the coffee table.

It was his chair, after all.

She got up and rubbed the fog off the inside of the windowpane and stared out into the water colour painted world. She turned when she heard the door open.

“Lily?” he called, and she turned away from the window as he came, dripping wet, into their living room. A smile spread over her face as he flopped down in the arm chair and popped his muddy feet upon the wood.

Without a word, but with a smile, she walked over and sat down on the edge of the coffee table. They were newlyweds, after all, and things like cheap furniture and bone soaking downpours didn’t matter.

bellaoc
    Name: Bellaoc
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Anniversary Surprises
    Warnings: None!
    Word Count: 500 exactly!
    A/N: I used the empty chair, roasted corn, love letters and bread putting prompts!

Ginny sat in the chair by the window, her legs resting on the coffee table in front of her. She stared glumly at the empty chair beside her and looked towards the door impatiently. She tapped her fingers absentmindedly against her leg, and then jumped up suddenly. Ginny walked over to the small wooden desk in the corner of the room. Pulling open the drawer, she pulled out a stack of faded letters, tied together with a bright red ribbon. Smiling, she untied the red bow and pulled the top letter off the stack, reading it to herself as she walked slowly towards the kitchen.

Ginny,
    Auror training is going well, I think. We’re kept really busy so I can’t write much but I promised to write once a week, and I don’t want you to worry about me. I have a weekend free coming up, so don’t make any plans next weekend.
    Love,
    Harry

Ginny put the letter back on the pile, and placed the stack on the kitchen counter. She glanced over to the table where she had carefully set up their dinner. Glancing at the clock, she pulled the plate of perfectly roasted corn off the table and put it in the oven to keep it warm. She had taken the afternoon off work to cook Harry a special dinner as her present to him. Spending years cooking with her mother had paid off, and Ginny was a superb cook. But her job at the Daily Prophet kept her really busy and she rarely made it home in time to make dinner, so the responsibility fell to Harry. Although he tried hard, a brilliant chef he was not. Suddenly, Ginny heard a soft crack from outside, followed by the front door opening.

“Ginny?” Harry called as he shut the door behind him.

“In the kitchen,” Ginny replied. “And you better have a good reason for being late!”

Harry walked into the kitchen, looking nervous when he saw Ginny standing there glaring at him. He pulled a small box from behind his back and held it out towards her, as a peace offering. Ginny narrowed her eyes at him, but a little smile appeared on her face as she grabbed the box and opened it. She gasped in surprise when she saw the perfectly baked bread pudding inside the box.

“Harry, did you make this?” Ginny asked quietly, a wide smile spreading across her face.

“Yeah, I spent all afternoon at the Burrow with your Mum,” Harry replied, beaming proudly. “I remember you saying it was your favorite when you were young, so I wanted to make it for you.”

Ginny carefully placed the pudding next to the stack of letters. She glanced at Harry, her loving husband who had spent an afternoon making her favorite dessert.

“Do you like it?” He asked worriedly.

Ginny grinned and threw her arms around him, nearly knocking him over. He kissed her and whispered in her ear, “Happy anniversary, Mrs. Potter.”

Merlynne
    Name: Merlynne
    House: Slytherin
    Title: The Key
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 484
    Authors Notes: Based on the Love Letter, the Roasted Corn, the Old Key, and the Empty Chair. This was an extremely personal experience to write, and I hope it comes across in that way.

Dear Luna,

When I first saw you in the Room of Requirement last year, I could never have imagined just how close we would come to grow. Perhaps I was subject to the same prejudgements as so many others, but it never occurred to me that any relationship should form between us, nor how important our time together would become to me.

I suppose this is a thank you letter. Thank you for your friendship. Finding faces in the roast corn over holidays, trying to transplant the spider web from that statue’s head, are memories I will hold tightly to forever. You have a spirit like I have never seen before in another human being, and I find you more beautiful than any other girl in the world. The thought of your empty chair next to mine in the library fills me with a deep sense of loneliness that I can’t begin to shake without your guidance. It’s shocking to comprehend, sometimes, the connections you make with people, and it’s often not until the person you need leaves you do you realise just how important they really are.

But I understood just how important you are to me before you had to leave, by chance and circumstance, especially after I’d just found you... The gift you gave me for Christmas, I will never forget. Perhaps you found it silly—it was the old key you gave me—but to me it was infinitely important. I said to you how I was waiting for some key to open up a door in my life, and here you’ve handed it to me—in a literal sense, but also just as I was looking for it… Let’s just say that the rusted old key was the perfect Christmas present, the most important, beautiful gift anyone has ever given me.

Perhaps this isn’t a thank you letter any more. Perhaps it was never meant to be. I just know that very suddenly, and very unexpectedly, all the pieces of the puzzle fell into place leaving you—you have no idea how I admire you—as the most important thing in my life. I suppose things you don’t always expect to connect with the people who you do, but it was a shock to me to find that there was a connection between us—a connection I now value greater than…anything. If I died today it would be with you on my mind. I guess this is a real love letter now. I probably sound like an idiot, but it’s necessary.

You have changed my life. For the better. I don’t know what to do, what to make of this, but beyond all other need in the world I needed to tell you that I’m in love with you.

I hope this doesn’t seem completely mental to you, and I apologize a hundred times if it does.

A friend.

the_weird_one
    Ack! It took me so long for me to get it down to 500 words- but here it is...
    Name: the_weird_one
    House: Gryffindor!
    Title: Bahama Boy
    Warnings: None
    Word Count: 500
    Authors Notes: Yes, this is Rose Weasley. It kind of reminds me of the song, "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt. Only she's like, younger than ten in this story. I hope it isn't too cheesy or whatever!
    My mum had made me go on these stupid muggle vacations every year since I was two. This year was the Bahamas.

We checked into our hotel in seconds, and then got settled in. My room was overlooking the beach and the Caribbean Sea, both lovely views. Hugo threw a fit when Dad said that he couldn’t share a room with me. Room service almost came up, he was so loud.

After we had just settled in and my stomach was settling down from the plane ride, Mum announced, “We’re going on a tour of the ocean!”

My stomach moaned from just the thought of it. “No thank you, Mum, I just got off the plane and I’d rather not spend my first couple hours here barfing into the ocean.”

Mum retorted, “It’s a sea, not an ocean. Please come? It’ll be fun!”

After much arguing, I finally gave in on the boat idea, as long as we got to do something of my choice later.

The boat was full by the time we got there. The captain, however, let us on, even though the boat was well past its capacity. He untied it from the dock, and we set sail.

The session was pretty boring, all we did was just sit around and listen to the captain talk about marine life. Mum seemed to be the only one enjoying the lecture. I got pretty bored, so I wandered over to the side of the boat, staring overboard. I found it much more interesting to see marine life rather then here about them.

As I gazed into the sea, I heard a voice yell, “Oo! Turtle!” I whipped my head around to see a dark-haired causation boy around my age, pointing at a turtle drifting. The boy had yellow-brown eyes, and crooked teeth. He had a distinct English accent like mine, and he was fairly nice-looking. Something in my heart gave a prominent tug, but I ignored it, still staring at the boy.

Soon the whole crowd noticed the turtle drifting by. “Oh my goodness!” the captain exclaimed. “It’s a rare Hawksbill turtle! They’re endangered!” everyone gathered around to “Oo” and “Ah” at the turtle, who gave the passengers a tired look. I still didn’t loose sight of the boy. I followed him as he wedged his way out of the crowd.

I approached him. “Hi.” I said, “My name’s Rose. You’re from England, aren’t you?” I was still at the age where you could just walk up to someone and introduce yourself randomly.

“Yes, from London. How about you?” he said.

I told him where I came from, and the conversation just went on from there. I ended up becoming friends with him and seeing him my whole trip, as he was staying in the room next to me. I was almost sad to leave the Bahamas. Although times have passed and I won’t see him ever again, my heart will always have a special place for ‘Bahama Boy’.
    -the_weird_one

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Name: Equinox Chick
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: The Free Man.
    Warnings:None
    Word Count: 352 (Blimey, that's short for me!)
    Authors Notes: Slightly different interpretation of love. I've used the empty chair, the corn, the turtle and the bread and butter pudding.

Sirius Black landed on a tiny Caribbean island and declared himself a free man. Hiding Buckbeak in a cave near the lush plantations, he spent most of his days walking along the white sandy beaches, revelling in the sun upon his back. The Islanders quickly became used to this gaunt drifter, who was always so polite, and would call out to him as he passed. One day, when the need for company became overwhelming, Sirius pulled up an empty chair outside a beach hut and accepted a plate piled high with barbequed fish and corn.

Biting into the corn, he felt the hot sweet juices running down his chin and laughed out loud at the pure joy of being able to feel again. Afterwards, he sauntered into the sea wearing a pair of cut-down shorts he’d acquired from a tourist’s washing line. Sirius was at his happiest in the water and as he swam alongside the turtles, luxuriating in the silken feel of the water against his skin, he began to heal.

Floating in the sea, he thought about the last time he'd seen James and Lily alive. He’d been at their house, enjoying tea. Lily had baked a large bread and butter pudding, a recipe of her mother’s. Neither James nor Sirius had the heart to tell her it was horrible but both had watched in amusement as Harry, then fourteen months, had mushed the pudding in his hair.

“Can we do that?” Sirius had whispered out of Lily’s earshot.

He smiled to himself at the memory, and then his thoughts drifted to that last sight of Harry as he'd flown away from Hogwarts. That boy, so like James, yet with Lily’s fiercely loyal eyes staring out at him. He had thought his heart would explode with love when Harry had declared he would much rather live with his godfather than the Dursleys.

He swam to the shore, picked up his hat and towel and, waving goodbye to his new friends, he began to walk back to the cave.

He had found freedom

He had found Harry.

He had found love.
    I think this will be turned into a one-shot.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Being Saved by Our Guardian Anglia
    Name: minnabird
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: The Key to My Heart
    Warnings: One instance of mild profanity. That's about it.
    Word Count: 403
    Authors Notes: I used the Love Letter, Old Key, Empty Chair and Bread Pudding. Penny Selwyn and Robert Landry (the main character, who never names himself) are extras I made up in populating fifth year for the story I'm working on--both Hufflepuffs like myself.

------------------------

I’ve known Penny for…years. I first met her when I got in an argument with my sister, Rosie, over some trivial thing. Rosie started it—they call Helena Carrigan a hellcat but Rosie’s worse—but did her new friend care? No, she got in between us and basically told us to grow up already.

And that was the first time I ever met Penelope Selwyn, the love of my life. I may be only seventeen, but I know it’s her I want and no one else. Only, I’m not sure she sees me any differently than she ever did. I mean, we’re friends and all, but she was Rosie’s friend first and I get the distinct feeling she thinks of me as something of a little brother figure, even though we’re the same age.

I’m hovering outside the Leaky Cauldron, remembering why I’m here. The first thing I think of is—strangely enough—that old key she wears around her neck. She never takes it off. I asked her once why that was and she said, “I’ve never known what it goes to, but I know it belongs to our house. I’m on a sort of ongoing quest—to find out what the key unlocks.” Penny’s really something; I don’t think her imagination turned off when she became a teenager the way most of ours did. She’s a whiz in the kitchen, too—one time when she spent the summer with us, she whipped up a bread pudding out of practically nothing. It was delicious. And she’s so nice. I swear to God, she’s the sweetest person I ever met, even if she is sort of stern sometimes.

One of those infernal Muggle contraptions—an automobile—speeds past, horn honking. I’m pulled from my thoughts long enough to remember the real reason I’m here.

I’m going to tell Penny how I feel about her.

Not in pretty words, of course. I tried writing a love letter to her once; it didn’t work out so well. The words just wouldn’t come out right, and it was more scratch-out than letter. I never sent it; I think it’s floating around in a drawer somewhere at home.

I draw a deep breath and enter the pub. There, over there, is Penny. My heart beats faster as my eyes fasten on the empty chair waiting for me. Time to tell Penny I love her.

God help me.

x_GinnyPotter_x
    Name: Kayla / x_GinnyPotter_x
    House: Gryffindor
    Title: Outcasts Attract
    Warnings: AU, Sappy
    Word Count: 499 exactly!
    Authors Notes: From Neville's POV. I used the key, bread pudding, roast corn and love letter.

I remember the first time I saw Luna. It was fifth year, and every compartment on the train was full, except hers. I opened the door to her compartment half-way and was immediately stunned by the beautiful blonde girl with her wand tucked behind her ear, a necklace of butterbeer caps hanging around her neck and reading a magazine upside-down. Her wide, protuberant blue eyes glanced up at me, and I managed to stammer “Sorry,” before hastily retreating. Of course, Harry and his friends ended up pulling me into the same compartment not long after that. It was Ginny who introduced us; I don’t think I ever thanked her for that.

She was odd, without question; I’d never met a witch who believed in so many bizarre creatures and things. But maybe that was what I grew to love about her; she didn’t need proof to believe in the extraordinary. She was a unique kind of brilliant – book-smart and blessed with common sense, while also a firm believer in the fantastic. There was no Ravenclaw like her.

Most were repelled by her unique nature, but it pulled me in like a magnet. Maybe because I’d always been the outcast Gryffindor, the one who didn’t quite fit in, I could relate to her. I seemed to understand her in ways most people did not, though I will admit it took some getting used to. By seventh year I was unquestionably in love with her; and I was terrified.

I wrote her a terrible cheesy love letter toward the end of that year. I should have known she would figure out it was from me; maybe I hoped she would all along. We started dating after the Final Battle, when she confronted me about it. In fact, she had to ask me if I wanted to go hunting for Crumple-Horned Snorkacks with her over the summer.

I spent a lot of time with Luna that summer. She tried making dinner for me one night when I came over… she burnt the turkey and the roast corn, and attempted a coconut bread pudding that I didn’t have the heart to tell her was awful, but she tried. Her seventh year was the hardest for me – we’d only spent those three summer months together, and I was already more deeply in love with her than I had ever thought possible. Before she got on the train, I gave her an antique old brass key I’d found in a Muggle store, filled with all sorts of odd treasures I knew would delight Luna to no end. I’d put a chain through the key to make it a necklace, and attached a note with the words, “To my heart.”

Cheesy, yes. Stupid, I was sure of it. But she wore it every day that year, and on our wedding day - overtop her bright yellow dress that made her look like an angel from the sun. She said it matched perfectly with her radish earrings.

leahsm2
    Name: leahsm2
    House:Slytherin
    Title: “Angels in Misery”
    Warnings: AU;
    Word Count: 500
    Authors Notes: used Love Letter(where the title comes from), Love Mum, Turtle, Empty Chair. Poor Rheasilvia Malfoy’s stuck in my brain at the moment.

Rheasilvia reread the note, laughing at the silliness of its author. She had met this strange young Muggle during her first week on the run, and while he’d been useful to her in certain aspects of her assimilation into Muggle living, in others he’d been a bit too wide off the mark.

The turtle episode sprang first into her mind. It was early on, before her, well, “condition” became obvious to all. She spent most of her time then preoccupied with her own pain, only coming up for air when the occasion warranted it. She’d met Patrick, a young man that the women who were helping her now had called a “drifter,” in a small park. He’d seemed harmless enough and while she’d thought she’d rather be alone in her misery, she had to admit that Patrick’s companionship helped. They’d been moving through coastal towns, “hitchhiking” rides in strange Muggle conveyances and “panhandling” for odd Muggle coins, when they came to a sign for an “Aquarium.”

“C’mon Stella,” he’d said, excitedly hurrying behind the large brick building.

Rheasilvia, Stella now, hesitated momentarily, as she had found that when her companion was that excited about something, it usually meant trouble. She followed cautiously, allowing him to help her jump over the low lying fence hidden under some shrubbery. He grabbed her hand and they walked through the buildings, looking at strange animals, obviously none of which had even an ounce of magical ability, when he saw it.

“Stella, over here, c’mon!” Patrick exclaimed, dragging her along as he ran towards a large tank.

“Hawksbill Turtle,” he read aloud.

He continued reading the small plaque which explained that the poor creature was extremely endangered and far away from its natural habitat. Stella looked at the beautiful animal and couldn’t help but feel pity for this creature who shared her fate. Patrick noticed how taken she was with it and suggested they jump in the tank. Stella hesitated for a moment as she hadn’t seen anyone else swimming, but found the turquoise water, handsome creature and Patrick’s half-mad grin too inviting to resist. Half a dozen Memory Charms later, including one on Patrick after they had Disapparated safely away, taught her the wisdom of following her own judgment.

The months since then had been spent in a run down Muggle apartment, with Patrick chattering about how it would be when the twins arrived. He painted pretty pictures of the wonderful life they would give her boys. She played along, secretly placing her children in some safe, innocuous Muggle home. When she’d told him her real plans the empty seat in the small alcove outside her room attested to his feelings of betrayal. She closed her eyes, trying to forget his hurt, as the pain of impending motherhood enveloped her.

When it was over and her children were safe and away, she looked back at the chair, seeing a silly boy with a half-mad grin holding the sorriest, most perfect bouquet she’d ever seen.