Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: U.S.A. Culture and Language Help - II

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Hmm.... so you're asking for the term for a private school? I would think it might be a Board of Directors, but I didnt' attend private school, so someone else might know more. In public schools, it's the School Board, and state-wide, The Board of Education.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    The closest thing I can think of to a Board of Governors would be the Board of Education. In New York State, there's a Board of Education for every school district (so that can be more than one school). There's also an Education Deparment at the state level, but I can't say what the balance of responsibilities is between the district and state level. I know where I live, the district determines the budget each year for citizens to vote on, they determine district-wide school rules and policy, and things like that. The bigggest decision I can think that they've made was to combine several schools within my district, but the public also had to vote that through. I'm not sure how much they went through the state to do that, but I'm fairly certain they've gotten some state funding for it.

But that's just New York. The systems vary widely between states, I think. However, Board of Directors sounds right for what would govern a college or university. As for private schools, I can't say.

Edit: Should be below Justice's post

Banner by the awesome Minna!
    BA Banners || Drabbles

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I need a good American equivilant of a British word.

You know the Board of Governers at Hogwarts? What would I call the equivilant of this in an American school. My school had major decisions was made by the School Board, but I went to a public school and the School Board had to answer a great deal to the state, while a private school would just be run by parents, teachers, and whatever that board is called.

Does anyone have any suggestions or terms to give?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Missyann
    My sister lives in Florida and her grandchildren call her "Nana." Her husband is called "Poppop." Though my mother is simply "Grandma," to her grandchildren, my father is called, "PaPaw."

Justice
    If I read your question right you are asking, you want to know what a Board of Governors is call in American for a private school? As far as I know itís very similar to the British version, Iíve always heard these kinds of boards called the Board of Directors. At least thatís what it was called in my private college, and I am pretty sure it is the same for lower educational institutions. I hope thatís what you were look for.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Molly: You could also try "Chancellors", "Trustees", or "Regents" if you want something more ostentatious than "Directors". I think my (public) university has a chancellor who is held accountable to the Board of Regents.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Lockhart Removed My Bones!
    When did the word 'cougar', meaning a woman with a man a lot younger than herself, become part of American slang? I've only heard it in the past few years in the UK so I'm hoping it took a year or two to get over here, because I want a character to say it in 2006. Was the word in use then or is it more recent than that?

(Just for the record, I think the word cougar is horrible and misogynistic in the extreme, but I have a horrible, misogynistic character and it's just the sort of thing he'd say)

Thank you in advance! Alex
    Banner by Minna.

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Searching for Neville's Toad
    It's been around for a bit - I think you're safe having someone use it in 2006.
    -Ayra

iDrabble iWrite

Lovely banner by Riham (padfoot_returns)
    Avvie by Samarie (Love_is_4ever)

That which cannot break you will only make you stronger.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Earning Points for Sheer Dumb Luck
    Yes, it was definitely in use in 2006. That was the year it started to filter into my middle school, which meant that it had definitely been in use for quite a while. I think it must be at least as old as the term 'gold digger', which has been in use for long enough to have a 90's rap song about it.

Banner by the lovely Megan/FawkesToTheRescue

Ariana
    Could you please tell me what American history is mostly studied in schools? I suspected that it might be:

Early Colonisation

War of Independence

Civil War

but is there anything else, for example I studied the the working conditions of the Victorian poor very often from a very young age. Do you learn much about pre-colonisation history and are there any parts of history that are often repeatedly studied?

Thank you very much.